Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is SRAM Eagle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is SRAM Eagle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-23, 10:10 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
. . .
This is amazing. If anything, this indicates that you're smart - certainly way smarter than I could possibly hope to be. It also conjures up a few other choice expressions, but I've already contributed more than my fair share of bleeps in this thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by BillyD; 01-23-23 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Cleanup
Old 01-23-23, 10:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11968 Post(s)
Liked 6,641 Times in 3,481 Posts
You should practice less bleeping and more searching. It would benefit your skill set.
Prj71 please leave the thread. You’re just stirring stuff repeatedly.
Old 01-23-23, 10:28 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

. . .
Oh, hey, look! I just learned a whole new skill! It's called "adding awful members of the forum to the ignore List." Ans I didn't even need to Google this one! It's amazing! I love it! Now I feel really dumb because I should've learned this a long time ago!

Last edited by BillyD; 01-23-23 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Cleanup
Old 01-23-23, 10:31 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
The fact that a stick destroyed the drivetrain has nothing to do with the brand. I've destroyed my Shimano XT derailleur on my mountain bike twice with a stick now. So your post about the SRAM system being garbage is not even close to being factual. It can and has happened with every brand.
The fact that two died within about 3 months makes it less of a random chance.

It happened. Twice. Exactly as I reported.

Therefore my post is absolutely factual, despite your baseless claim to the contrary.. Your incessant and equally baseless posts about viruses, on the other hand, are what are not factual. Clearly you have no idea what the word means.
Old 01-23-23, 11:28 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
In my experience (indirect, as it was the kid's bike), 12-speed GX Eagle is total garbage. He destroyed the first one when a stick went into the drivetrain. This was in the middle of a ride, and I tried to fix it the best I could at the time, and probably wound up making it worse. It is quite fragile, and the derailleur cage is easily bent. We went though a second one fairly quickly as well, before switching over to Shimano. SLX 12-speed is vastly superior, and I think was slightly less expensive. They also have NX and SX, which are one and two tiers lower. I have no experience with those, but seem to recall they aren't significantly less expensive, and it is hard to imagine something even worse that the GX Eagle. The shifter, however, is actually pretty decent. The brakes that came along with it I think are called Level, and they are absolute crap as well.
Sounds to me like you just had bad luck twice. That said, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the derailleur cage is more fragile that Shimano. I spend time on a MTB-focused form, as well, and haven't noticed a trend of complaints regarding the same issue as yours. My only SRAM experience is with XX1, and I have had flawless performance in the time I've owned my bike.

SRAM disc brakes, however, are notorious for being sub-standard compared with Shimano. I was watching a tech video (GCN or GMBN, I think) this weekend, and they mentioned the same thing...repeatedly. My XX1-equipped bike is running XTR brakes.

Last edited by Eric F; 01-23-23 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-23-23, 11:34 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Eric F
Sounds to me like you just had bad luck twice
That could very well be, which is why I started the sentence with "In my experience ..."

Or I have had exceptionally good luck with all of my 11-speed Shimano derailleurs.

[That said, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the derailleur cage is more fragile that Shimano. I spend time on a MTB-focused form, as well, and haven't noticed a trend of complaints regarding the same issue as yours. My only SRAM experience is with XX1, and I have had flawless performance in the time I've owned by bike.

SRAM disc brakes, however, are notorious for being sub-standard compared with Shimano. I was watching a tech video (GCN or GMBN, I think) this weekend, and they mentioned the same thing...repeatedly. My XX1-equipped bike is running XTR brakes.
It is definitely much harder to bend it back into shape (but this could well be true of any 12-speed cage). The tolerances are much less forgiving. I confess to being a bit prejudiced, due to my experiences with SRAM and Avid brakes.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 01-23-23 at 12:13 PM. Reason: fixed markup tag
Old 01-23-23, 11:37 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Yeah. OK. SRAM is garbage based on your anecdotal statements.
I started off saying "In my experience ..." The facts are they broke. The interpretation is that they are garbage. An alternative interpretation is I (we) had exceptionally bad luck (see post above).

​​​​​​​And I have no clue what you are talking about concerning viruses.
Denial of denial?
Old 01-23-23, 11:46 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Just because you had 2 bad experiences with a stick in a SRAM product does not mean SRAM is garbage. That is a false statement. That would be like me saying my Shimano XT derailleur is garbage because it got wrecked by a stick and I had to buy a new one.

The facts remains that you can break any brand of derailleur that gets a stick caught in it. SRAM, Shimano, Microshift, Box...doesn't matter.
Likes For prj71:
Old 01-23-23, 11:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Yeah. OK. SRAM is garbage based on your anecdotal statements.
Polaris had a couple of incidents that raised some concerns about the quality of the rear derailleur, and drew a conclusion about it. Maybe he's on to something. Maybe it was just bad luck. For him, it was enough to not give GX a third try, which seems like a pretty rational decision to me. In those circumstances, I would probably do the same. I'm following a similar path with SRAM Dub bottom brackets on my MTB, and will use a different brand next time it needs to be replaced.
Old 01-23-23, 12:07 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Just because you had 2 bad experiences with a stick in a SRAM product does not mean SRAM is garbage. That is a false statement. That would be like me saying my Shimano XT derailleur is garbage because it got wrecked by a stick and I had to buy a new one.

The facts remains that you can break any brand of derailleur that gets a stick caught in it. SRAM, Shimano, Microshift, Box...doesn't matter.
It is not a false statement. It might be an unwarranted conclusion. Do you really not see the difference?

Also, he in fact used Box 11-speed (worked ok with 12-speed) until Shimano came out with SLX. Both did not break, vs. two SRAM derailleurs whose lifetime was each several weeks. It could be my interpretation/conclusion is wrong. A better measure of its veracity would be to look at the fraction of warranty claims for each. Box has a lifetime warranty, fwiw.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 01-23-23 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-23-23, 12:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

It is not a false statement. It might be an unwarranted conclusion. Do you really not see the difference?
It appears that prj71 will not be able to respond for a little while.
Old 01-23-23, 12:27 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
I'm going for a ride.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-23-23, 12:36 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
It is not a false statement. It might be an unwarranted conclusion.
All bets are off when sticks and third parties are involved. How did he break the second one? Calling something "garbage" because it broke when your kid mashed it with a stick seems a bit harsh. I have read that the lowest tier SX rear mech is delicate, but not GX.
Old 01-23-23, 12:45 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
All bets are off when sticks and third parties are involved. How did he break the second one? Calling something "garbage" because it broke when your kid mashed it with a stick seems a bit harsh. I have read that the lowest tier SX rear mech is delicate, but not GX.
The real issue is the sticks, and how their quality is not what it used to be.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-23-23, 01:18 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The real issue is the sticks, and how their quality is not what it used to be.
What are you talking about? Clearly, the stick is of higher quality than the derailleur, or it would have lost the battle. On my old MTB, the rear derailleur would break sticks everywhere it went. Sticks would jump out of the way just to save themselves from the carnage. The obvious conclusion is that new rear derailleurs are of poorer quality.
Old 01-23-23, 01:21 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
What are you talking about? Clearly, the stick is of higher quality than the derailleur, or it would have lost the battle. On my old MTB, the rear derailleur would break sticks everywhere it went. Sticks would jump out of the way just to save themselves from the carnage. The obvious conclusion is that new rear derailleurs are of poorer quality.
Sorry, no. Sticks reached their apex in the late 70s and early 80s, both functionally and aesthetically.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-23-23, 01:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Sorry, no. Sticks reached their apex in the late 70s and early 80s, both functionally and aesthetically.
You seem to be unaware that sticks these days are manufactured from crabon fiber by Big Stick.
Old 01-23-23, 03:30 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
You seem to be unaware that sticks these days are manufactured from crabon fiber by Big Stick.
you haven’t lived until you’ve paid $14k to see a big stick crabon stick assplode itself and your whole frame from getting jammed into the rd!
Old 01-23-23, 03:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Technically, they are in fact garbage if they wind up in the county dump, but I actually still have them, hoping maybe they can take on a new life as organ donors. Otherwise, they are off to the dump, as anticipated.

But you are of course correct. I should have merely said they are less robust in my limited experience (N=2). I don't recall how the second one bit it, but the first one I remember, because it was one of the kid's first rides on a new bike, and there was a lot of drama. It was a small bit of redwood, and it got stuck in the cage. (This happens to me about once a month with 11-speed Di2, which I would assume is prima facia fragile, but I've never had an issue with that or any other Shimano derailleur.)

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 01-23-23 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-23-23, 04:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 01-23-23 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-23-23, 04:43 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Yeah, thanks! I'd read all this before I'd gone ahead and did the stupidest thing ever, which is to dare to post a question on this forum, ...

You kept this part a secret.

You would have helped the people you expected particular answers (of unspecified particularity) from if you had mentioned it.

As it was, you left people to guess what you did (and what you wanted) and then complained it was their fault they guessed incorrectly.

...but I wanted a little more than just SRAM's marketing speak - like, from a real actual human being.
??? There were a few reviews right after the link to SRAM's "marketing speak".

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-23-23 at 04:51 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 01-23-23, 05:04 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,484 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
It's worth noting that SRAM's naming conventions for their MTB groupsets are a little confusing, especially if you're used to the old Shimano names where each tier of groupset has it's own name. People hear "SRAM Eagle" and assume that it is a stand-alone tier of groupset that somehow slots in with other SRAM MTB stuff.

It doesn't help that they further differentiate with meaningless and generic alpha-numeric codes. Your average consumer is never going to remember that XX1 is different than X01, much less remember which one is "better" than the other. They should've gone with Eagle Talon, Eagle Eye, Eagle Feather, etc.
I saw a reply that got deleted, but yes I do think SRAM's naming is worse than Shimano's, though neither is great.

SRAM:
XX1 Eagle AXS
XX1 Eagle
XX1
X01 Eagle AXS
X01 Eagle
X01
X01 DH
EX1
GX Eagle AXS
GX Eagle
GX
GX DH
NX Eagle
NX
SX Eagle
They also have 4 different stand-alone brake lines (Code, DB, G2 and Level) and within G2 are another 4 "levels".

Shimano:
XTR Di2
XTR
XT Di2
XT
SLX
Deore
Alivio
Acera
Tourney
Saint
Zee

One could argue the Shimano names are meaningless (what's an Alivio or an Acera anyways) but it's definitely easier to remember than all the different variants of XX that SRAM has. On the top end the difference between XT and XTR seems pretty clear - the R is for racing. I have no idea why they switched from LX to SLX. As for SRAM - and more to the point of this thread - why do they call all of their 12sp stuff "Eagle"? Why did this need a separate name?

Also on the road side, why does SRAM call it eTap AXS? eTap was the name for electronic shifting, but then AXS came out and was specific to 12 speed electronic. OK, but now we have part and AXS Eagle AXS which should mean 12sp 12sp, but really means 12sp electronic. eTap is just for road but AXS is for both - but MTB AXS uses a different chain than road AXS. Oh, and now we have XPLR eTap AXS.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-23-23, 08:46 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Wow, I don't put people on ignore, and in this instance you doing it is pretty comical, I have a feeling that short list is really long. I tried to help you out and help you get to your question but it seems like maybe there wasn't a purpose for all of this. I don't know, but you do you.
And I was wrong in saying and doing some of the things that I said and did. I happen to be notorious among my friends (all two of them,) family, and (remote) coworkers for my tendency to overreact. My apologies.
Old 01-23-23, 09:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
And I was wrong in saying and doing some of the things that I said and did. I happen to be notorious among my friends (all two of them,) family, and (remote) coworkers for my tendency to overreact. My apologies.
No worries, it happens it is an online forum, I find a little thicker skin sometimes helps. There are certainly some folks who are just trolls and bad people but most people are trying to help somewhat in their own weird way. I am sorry if I come across as a Richard, not my intention I assure you. I do actually want to talk SRAM Eagle.

Ratio just launched a new lightweight cage for GX AXS derailleurs so you can get the weight closer to that of X01 potentially without the price of buying X01. It has got me thinking for sure.
Old 01-24-23, 06:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I saw a reply that got deleted, but yes I do think SRAM's naming is worse than Shimano's, though neither is great.

SRAM:
XX1 Eagle AXS
XX1 Eagle
XX1
X01 Eagle AXS
X01 Eagle
X01
X01 DH
EX1
GX Eagle AXS
GX Eagle
GX
GX DH
NX Eagle
NX
SX Eagle
They also have 4 different stand-alone brake lines (Code, DB, G2 and Level) and within G2 are another 4 "levels".

Shimano:
XTR Di2
XTR
XT Di2
XT
SLX
Deore
Alivio
Acera
Tourney
Saint
Zee

One could argue the Shimano names are meaningless (what's an Alivio or an Acera anyways) but it's definitely easier to remember than all the different variants of XX that SRAM has. On the top end the difference between XT and XTR seems pretty clear - the R is for racing. I have no idea why they switched from LX to SLX. As for SRAM - and more to the point of this thread - why do they call all of their 12sp stuff "Eagle"? Why did this need a separate name?

Also on the road side, why does SRAM call it eTap AXS? eTap was the name for electronic shifting, but then AXS came out and was specific to 12 speed electronic. OK, but now we have part and AXS Eagle AXS which should mean 12sp 12sp, but really means 12sp electronic. eTap is just for road but AXS is for both - but MTB AXS uses a different chain than road AXS. Oh, and now we have XPLR eTap AXS.
They are both a bit of a dog's dinner if we're honest, but I can easily cope with either.

Anyone running high-end XX1, X01 or XTR, XT is not likely to get confused. It's actually at the lower end where people will stuggle and that's where Shimano actually gets more confusing than SRAM. I certainly struggle to remember the order of Shimano's lower tier groups. Introduction of gravel groupsets has made it even more confusing. Saint is also a bit confusing in the mix and doesn't even sit near the bottom of the hierarchy as implied in the above list.

At least grouping all the SRAM mtb 12-speed as "Eagle" makes it clear what components are 12-speed and cross-compatible. How do you figure that out with Shimano's naming convention, since it doesn't have any reference to the number of speeds? For example, is Deore compatible with XT? I wouldn't know of the top of my head. But I know Eagle NX is compatible with Eagle X01 without having to dig any further.

I agree XPLR eTap AXS is a bit of a mouthful! But no more or less confusing to me than Shimano's gravel vs mtb groupsets. They could just drop the eTap part and often do on their website references.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.