Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-23, 11:24 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I rode a bike with disc brakes this weekend. The brakes worked really well. They slowed me when I needed to go slower, and stopped me when I needed to stop. I also rode a bike with rim brakes this weekend. The brakes worked really well. They slowed me when I needed to go slower, and stopped me when I needed to stop. I'm keeping both bikes because they're excellent bikes, and bikes are awesome.
What a coincidence, I did the same thing. Rim brake Saturday and disc Sunday. And I don't want to argue about brakes afterward.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-23-23, 12:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The consensus on what type of brakes all cyclists should use has not been reached yet, The debate continues...Hopefully by 50 pages we'll have a definitive answer.
Originally Posted by big john
If not, maybe in the next rim vs disc thread. Or the one after that.
Disc brakes are going to win this argument. A given. Might take 10 more threads and a couple thousand posts but we rim-brakers are going to die eventually. Next generation will have far fewer and those genes will be close to gone in two.

Now, 100 years from now, some bright whiz might discover a really light, simple braking system that put no load on those fork blades Maybe market them as "Integral Discs" (using the rim itself as maximum diameter discs; enabling smaller braking forces to be used). These wheels would enable lighter, springier, nicer riding forks. Faster, easier wheel changes. Come up with a cool brand name. Advertise it as lighter, more aero, better ride. Of course, they'll cost more but prices will come down when Alibaba gets involved.
Old 01-23-23, 12:42 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Now, 100 years from now, some bright whiz might discover a really light, simple braking system that put no load on those fork blades Maybe market them as "Integral Discs" (using the rim itself as maximum diameter discs; enabling smaller braking forces to be used). These wheels would enable lighter, springier, nicer riding forks. Faster, easier wheel changes. Come up with a cool brand name. Advertise it as lighter, more aero, better ride. Of course, they'll cost more but prices will come down when Alibaba gets involved.
Can the thread sink any lower?
Old 01-23-23, 12:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Oh look, the 'rim is just a giant disc brake' argument...again. It sucked the first time, but maybe itll be good now!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-23-23, 12:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

I hardly need discs for variety. My 6 bikes sport 4 different systems of caliper and several of those are products of mixing systems and standards.

My two winter/rain/city bikes - Mafac RACER fronts, Weinmann rears, regular Tektro levers.
My Mooney - Cantis and V-brake Tektro levers
Pro Miyata - Cycone sidepulls, regular Tekrto levers
TiCycles (geared) Shimano dual pivots, V-brake Tektro levers
TiCycles fix gear (two cockpits and calipers)
Shimano dual pivots, V-brake Tektro levers on deep pista bars (a wonderful fix gear climbing setup)
SunTour Superbe side pulls, regular Tektro levers on regular drop bars - the "road" setup and classic race

That last bike, the TiCycles fix gear of my avatar photo and its "swapable cockpits" - a fun advantage of caliper brakes (if you skip that brifter or shifting on the handlebars stuff): Swapping cockpits on that bike takes 5 minutes. Detach rear brake cable. Remove both calipers. Pull stem. (It's a quill. One easy bolt. No torque wrench required.) Reverse process. Done. And it is now a very different bike.
Old 01-23-23, 12:53 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh look, the 'rim is just a giant disc brake' argument...again. It sucked the first time, but maybe itll be good now!
Not now! That's gonna take a full 100 year fermentation. I won't live to see it or hold my breath.
Old 01-23-23, 01:02 PM
big john

Disc brakes are going to win this argument. A given. Might take 10 more threads and a couple thousand posts but we rim-brakers are going to die eventually. Next generation will have far fewer and those genes will be close to gone in two.

Let's start a thread about it.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-23-23, 01:16 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Not now! That's gonna take a full 100 year fermentation. I won't live to see it or hold my breath.
You won't live to see it because it will never happen. But I don't think rim brakes will completely disappear either. Not in the sort of timescale that really matters anyway.
Old 01-23-23, 01:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You won't live to see it because it will never happen. But I don't think rim brakes will completely disappear either. Not in the sort of timescale that really matters anyway.
Of course not, and the C&V folks will make sure of it.
Old 01-23-23, 01:41 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
The just say No to road disc folks here are being disparaged as being luddites, anti-progress, anti-technology etc. Unfair characterizations. We are not anti-tech, but anti-tech that is heavy, fussy, and unnecessary. As in discs on road bikes.

Again, we're not talking about mountain bikes, or touring bikes, or commuting in the rain bikes, where discs are highly desirable. We're talking about go-fast bikes, in which weight, especially rotational weight is the key differentiator of performance. Performance being measured as the ability to not be dropped off the back out of the corners or on hills. Or, even better the ability to shed stragglers off of the back through accelerations.

So there is a quick guide to desirable vs. undesirable tech for go-fast bikes, regardless of vintage:
Good:
  • Carbon (for almost everything)
  • Electronic shifting
  • Clipless pedals
  • 2 x drivetrains
  • Tubular rims and tires (lighter, stronger, safer)
Not good:
  • Discs (heavy, fussy, and unnecessary)
  • Fat tires >25mm (we're not mountain biking on the road. Fat tires are heavy, high rolling resistance and un-aero)
  • Tubeless (unless you live in goathead land, or you don't know how to field fix a flat)
  • 1 x drivetrains (Why why why????)
You are welcome.
Old 01-23-23, 01:43 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts

Maybe that new bike will have tubulars as well! But first we should see the resurgence of the Flying Pigeon PA-02, rod brakes and all, as a indication the the tide is about to change.
Old 01-23-23, 01:48 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Again, we're not talking about mountain bikes, or touring bikes, or commuting in the rain bikes, where discs are highly desirable. We're talking about go-fast bikes, in which weight, especially rotational weight is the key differentiator of performance. Performance being measured as the ability to not be dropped off the back out of the corners or on hills. Or, even better the ability to shed stragglers off of the back through accelerations.
Perhaps you can share with the class your calculation of how much disc rotors add to the moment of inertia of a set of wheels, and how much that affects acceleration out of a corner?
Old 01-23-23, 01:57 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

The just say No to road disc folks here are being disparaged as being luddites, anti-progress, anti-technology etc. Unfair characterizations. We are not anti-tech, but anti-tech that is heavy, fussy, and unnecessary. As in discs on road bikes.

So there is a quick guide to desirable vs. undesirable tech for go-fast bikes, regardless of vintage:
Good:
  • Carbon (for almost everything)
  • Electronic shifting
  • Clipless pedals
  • 2 x drivetrains
  • Tubular rims and tires (lighter, stronger, safer)
Not good:
  • Discs (heavy, fussy, and unnecessary)
  • Fat tires >25mm (we're not mountain biking on the road. Fat tires are heavy, high rolling resistance and un-aero)
  • Tubeless (unless you live in goathead land, or you don't know how to field fix a flat)
  • 1 x drivetrains (Why why why????)
You are welcome.
I hope you are sharing all of your wisdom with World Tour pro teams. I'm sure they would all be excited to have your secret recipe for fast bikes.
Old 01-23-23, 02:06 PM
big john

You are welcome.
And, with that, the thread starts over.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-23-23, 02:50 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I guess some are passionate about something, whatever that is.

Old 01-23-23, 02:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
I hope you are sharing all of your wisdom with World Tour pro teams. I'm sure they would all be excited to have your secret recipe for fast bikes.
I'm sure that all the sponsors, with millions on the line allow themselves to be dictated to by Big Disc, and Big Fat Tubeless, and that's why all the pro tour riders are now -(checks notes)- faster than ever.

Hey, wait a minute...

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-23-23, 02:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
And, with that, the thread starts over.
Ouroboros.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-23-23, 03:11 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Perhaps you can share with the class your calculation of how much disc rotors add to the moment of inertia of a set of wheels, and how much that affects acceleration out of a corner?
Rotors, + stronger spokes and rims that can handle the bigger spoke loads. I raced 290 gm rims laced with 15-17 (~1.8-1.6mm) spokes (and 250 or
less gm sewups). More than once I made breaks that took everything I had. Would I have made it with wheels a touch heavier? I'll never know. But being able to close that gap by being maybe 12" closer meant that I beat the guy behind me by 10 minutes.

My fasted, hardest race the group I stayed in broke the course record (set by an animal some of you have heard of). The deciding climb was absolutely the hardest thing I have ever done. That race - 220 gm silks and a 250 gm front rim. (Same spokes.)
Old 01-23-23, 03:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm sure that all the sponsors, with millions on the line allow themselves to be dictated to by Big Disc, and Big Fat Tubeless, and that's why all the pro tour riders are now -(checks notes)- faster than ever.

Hey, wait a minute...
I was watching a GCN video this weekend showing some of this year's current World Tour bikes debuting at the Tour Down Under. Everyone is on 25s or 28s. Ineos is using 25 front and 28 rear. More and more teams are moving away from tubulars, and towards tubeless.

Obviously, those pro team managers and mechanics are idiots.
Old 01-23-23, 03:28 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
I was watching a GCN video this weekend showing some of this year's current World Tour bikes debuting at the Tour Down Under. Everyone is on 25s or 28s. Ineos is using 25 front and 28 rear. More and more teams are moving away from tubulars, and towards tubeless.

Obviously, those pro team managers and mechanics are idiots.
Example: Mark Cavendish.

Riding for Astana this year, he rather obviously is going to try to win at least one more stage of the Tour. He is, however, doomed to fail because ... poor equipment choice. He is riding tubulars, but rather foolishly has opted for a bicycle with disc brakes (shock! horror!) and ... get this ... 28s!!!

Why on earth these so-called professional cyclists/team officials/mechanics don't consult the experts here on teh Biek Formz is utterly beyond me.
Likes For badger1:
Old 01-23-23, 03:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Rotors, + stronger spokes and rims that can handle the bigger spoke loads. I raced 290 gm rims laced with 15-17 (~1.8-1.6mm) spokes (and 250 or
less gm sewups). More than once I made breaks that took everything I had. Would I have made it with wheels a touch heavier? I'll never know. But being able to close that gap by being maybe 12" closer meant that I beat the guy behind me by 10 minutes.

My fasted, hardest race the group I stayed in broke the course record (set by an animal some of you have heard of). The deciding climb was absolutely the hardest thing I have ever done. That race - 220 gm silks and a 250 gm front rim. (Same spokes.)
Do you ever wonder why those kinds of setups aren't used any more, and haven't been for a long time?
Old 01-23-23, 04:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts

The assignment is to calculate how big the effect is. You can make approximations and use a simplified model, but the point is to estimate the effect.
Old 01-23-23, 04:28 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
What a coincidence, I did the same thing. Rim brake Saturday and disc Sunday. And I don't want to argue about brakes afterward.
That is a very strange coincidence because i did exactly the same thing. On Saturday i did a ride on my bike with rim brakes and on Sunday I did a ride on my bike with disc brakes. Both brakes worked perfectly and I had no problem stopping.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-23-23, 04:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Now, 100 years from now, some bright whiz might discover a really light, simple braking system
100 years from now humans won't be riding bicycles or participating in any activity which required physical effort. All those activities we're doing doing today will have become virtual reality.
Old 01-23-23, 05:01 PM
big john

Originally Posted by genejockey
Ouroboros.
Had to Google that, not gonna lie. Apropos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.