Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Give a dad a vintage bike…

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Give a dad a vintage bike…

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-23, 12:31 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Give a dad (or mom) a vintage bike…

Sent to me by a friend, I made it C/V appropriate:

Old 01-24-23, 04:21 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-24-23, 06:50 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
Sent to me by a friend, I made it C/V appropriate:

PIC elided for brevity.
The issue I have is that the use of a lot of modern synthetics in shorts and jerseys dates well back into vintage period. I started riding road back in 1980, and Pearl Izumi and Descente had skin shorts on the market in the early eighties. The odd thing is that elastane (e.g. lycra, spandex, or whatever else it's called) seems to have quite varying shelf life. I have a Pearl Izumi skinsuit from my early days (pre-sublimation printing) that stretches just fine, and I also had far more recent stuff that got tossed 'cos the lycra just up and died. I also have an old wool embroidered Bianchi/Campagnolo jersey I bought off a fellow rider that's had a few holes darned.

One nice thing about synthetics is that grubs don't eat them. That being said, I'm a bit of a natural fiber snob (Bemberg Cupro jacket lining excepted) when it comes to non-sporting clothing.

Last edited by MooneyBloke; 01-24-23 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-24-23, 06:59 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
...shouldn't the bottom box read, "MORE, AND MORE BIKES"?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-24-23, 07:01 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Too many bikes? What a funny concept!
Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 01-24-23, 07:29 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
The issue I have is that the use of a lot of modern synthetics in short and jerseys dates well back into vintage period. I started riding road back in 1980, and Pearl Izumi and Descente had skin shorts on the market in the early eighties. The odd thing is that elastane (e.g. lycra, spandex, or whatever else it's called) seems to have quite varying shelf life. I have a Pearl Izumi skinsuit from my early days (pre-sublimation printing) that stretches just fine, and I also had stuff that got tossed 'cos the lycra just up and died. I also have an old wool embroidered Bianchi/Campagnolo I bought off a fellow rider that's had a few holes darned.

One nice thing about synthetics is that grubs don't eat them. That being said, I'm a bit of a natural fiber snob (Bemberg Cupro jacket lining excepted) when it comes to non-sporting clothing.
Yes. In an interview with long-time cycling writer Maynard Hershon that was reported in the Rivendell Reader, Grant Peterson asked him at one point what he thought was the most important development in the world of bikes in the last 50 years (or some such time span). Condensed version of that conversation:

Maynard: Lycra shorts. [Goes on to explain the reasons he loves Lycra shorts and detests wool shorts.]

Grant (after some polite back-and-forthing): You must never have tried Kucharik wool shorts. They're wonderful. I'll send you a pair.

Maynard: I love you, Grant. Please don't send me any wool shorts.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-24-23, 07:40 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I tried to edit the title immediately after posting, but no luck. Also true for ladies.
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 01-24-23, 07:47 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Shhhhhhh. N+1 translates to “just one more bike,” not lots of bikes. If my wife had known it meant lots of bikes, she’d have implemented S-1 long ago. At this point, S now stands for space rather than separation…
Old 01-24-23, 07:54 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

I can’t argue with what makes one’s behind feel comfortable, but I can’t stand Lycra jerseys for all the reasons that have been thrown around before. I have some fun ones that I still keep, but I never buy new ones. I’m even gradually replacing my poly base layers because I’m tired of the insta-funk. I can do two days of Cino in a wool jersey and not even notice at the end. Not true of spandex. (Of course I naturally smell like vanilla…)

I’d love it if Grant sent me a pair of Kucharik shorts, but I usually ride in cargo shorts (with wool briefs) anyway!
Old 01-24-23, 07:56 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 445 Posts
2022 was a good year for this dad. I scored three vintage bikes.

March - Bridgestone RB-2

July - Centurion Accordo

December - Marinoni
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 01-24-23, 08:12 AM
MooneyBloke

I can’t argue with what makes one’s behind feel comfortable, but I can’t stand Lycra jerseys for all the reasons that have been thrown around before. I have some fun ones that I still keep, but I never buy new ones.
I basically agree, but for synthetic tops, the rule is basically one ride and it's off to the washing machine. I can't imagine trying to make them last for more than one ride. With wool, the disincentive is the special care they need in washing; you really want to get a few rides in before you go through that ordeal again.
Old 01-24-23, 08:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
That cartoon- meh. It does a good job identifying tools and accessories that are commonly used by an adult recreational/enthusiast cyclist.
Ha ha ha, I guess?

I understand the humor is supposed to be in how much stuff is listed, but its no different from being a painter, owning a horse, etc etc. Way to list stuff, I guess.
Old 01-24-23, 08:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I can’t argue with what makes one’s behind feel comfortable, but I can’t stand Lycra jerseys for all the reasons that have been thrown around before. I have some fun ones that I still keep, but I never buy new ones. I’m even gradually replacing my poly base layers because I’m tired of the insta-funk. I can do two days of Cino in a wool jersey and not even notice at the end. Not true of spandex. (Of course I naturally smell like vanilla…)
While one COULD do 2 days of sweaty riding in a row in a wool jersey, why would one WANT to do 2 days of sweaty riding in a row in a wool jersey?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-24-23, 08:28 AM
MooneyBloke

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
While one COULD do 2 days of sweaty riding in a row in a wool jersey, why would one WANT to do 2 days of sweaty riding in a row in a wool jersey?
Agree completely. I remember one summer changing a tire in humid ninety-three degree heat under bright sun while wearing a wool jersey. I was not at all comfy. My jersey felt heavy, and the itchiness was not unnoticeable. The absence of air flow made the experience one I'd not care to repeat.

Last edited by MooneyBloke; 01-24-23 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-24-23, 09:23 AM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 329 Posts
I ride in cotton shorts and a t-shirt, like I did in the 70s. Sometimes add a layer of synthetic undies between the cotton undies and the cotton shorts for long rides.
Likes For albrt:
Old 01-24-23, 10:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

^ albrt's post ride process.

first cold spray.

then shower.
then apply.
Old 01-24-23, 10:37 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
I ride in cotton shorts and a t-shirt, like I did in the 70s. Sometimes add a layer of synthetic undies between the cotton undies and the cotton shorts for long rides.
I usually ride in whatever I have on that day. This notion that you have to dress up like an Easter Egg before taking your bike out floors me. Especially among the C&V crowd.
Likes For daka:
Old 01-24-23, 01:35 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
forgot to mention: invite to Cino

I gave my dad a 3 wheeler....first new bike he ever had at 80+ years old.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-24-23, 02:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by daka
I usually ride in whatever I have on that day. This notion that you have to dress up like an Easter Egg before taking your bike out floors me. Especially among the C&V crowd.
Cycling is a wide spectrum of disciplines with varying levels of interest/commitment. What a homeless guy needs in order to ride from his tent to favorite off-ramp spot is understandably different from what a triathlete needs in order to train for an Ironman.
My earlier post with 2 gifs about how to handle riding in cotton was goofin...I thought that would be obvious, given the actual gifs I chose. But if it wasnt clear, allow this to be the clarification- I was joking around. Of course you can ride your bike in whatever clothes you are wearing at the time.

With that said, many here consider them enthusiasts and use cycling for exercise as well as setting/reaching goals. As such, clothing comes into play for many.
One could play basketball in whatever they happen to wear, but playing in appropriate clothing will feel better and you will perform better. One could swim in whatever they happen to wear, but swimming in appropriate clothing will feel better and you will perform better.
If you arent someone who cares about performance, maximizing potential, or whatever other performance metric applies here...cool. Totally fine. There is no right or wrong way to ride. But lets not pretend that wearing cotton underwear, cotton shorts, and a cotton shirt is as comfortable or equally performing during a hard 70mi ride as some cycling bibs and a quick dry shirt of some sort(jersey or otherwise).
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-24-23, 03:00 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
With wool, the disincentive is the special care they need in washing; you really want to get a few rides in before you go through that ordeal again.
I have Smartwool long sleeve running shirts that I wear for cycling in the winter. I give them literally zero thought when washing: they get washed with my regular clothes and they go in the dryer.

I don’t own any wool cycling clothing (too expensive for me) but I don’t understand why it can’t be made the same way?
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 01-24-23, 03:03 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 217 Posts
The issue I have is that the use of a lot of modern synthetics in shorts and jerseys dates well back into vintage period. I started riding road back in 1980, and Pearl Izumi and Descente had skin shorts on the market in the early eighties. The odd thing is that elastane (e.g. lycra, spandex, or whatever else it's called) seems to have quite varying shelf life. I have a Pearl Izumi skinsuit from my early days (pre-sublimation printing) that stretches just fine, and I also had far more recent stuff that got tossed 'cos the lycra just up and died. I also have an old wool embroidered Bianchi/Campagnolo jersey I bought off a fellow rider that's had a few holes darned.

Ex fabric guy here: your pre sublimation garments have held up better because they are mostly nylon with Lycra. Any item that is sublimated will likely have a high polyester content. The pigments from the sublimation process bond really well to poly, hardly at all to nylon. Downside is that poly pills, holds odors, and has lower abrasion resistance. In short, if it’s poly, it’s gonna wear out faster. So no surprise that your old PI is going strong and you’ve trashed newer product. I could also get into changes in fabric production between the 80s and now, and how that has changed what you can get now, but that a story no one wants to hear.
Old 01-24-23, 03:09 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Give a dad a vintage bike and he'll flip it for less than what you originally paid for it?
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-24-23, 03:11 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 217 Posts

I’d love it if Grant sent me a pair of Kucharik shorts, but I usually ride in cargo shorts (with wool briefs) anyway!
If you want a pair of Kucharik shorts, you’d better give John K a call quickly. They are closing shop and have been selling off all their inventory. I said call because the website is a little quirky now and plus you are likely to get a deal if you talk to the man himself
Old 01-24-23, 03:13 PM
MooneyBloke

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
So no surprise that your old PI is going strong and you’ve trashed newer product. I could also get into changes in fabric production between the 80s and now, and how that has changed what you can get now, but that a story no one wants to hear.
Oddly, I had the shorts portion of sublimated skinsuits die where the printed top remained sound. Also, some of the got-up-and-died togs were plain black bibs which I don't think were poly based. Also, the elastane itself seems to have been what gave up the ghost. I suspect something in its manufacture isn't up to the old standards. These days, I try to conventionally launder warm, but I air dry the stuff. The recent stuff that has lasted best for me is some misprinted custom Castelli things I got from a no-longer-extant surplus shop. It's not as though I'm taking out another license, so I really don't particularly care what my clothing says. I do care if it holds up in routine use.

By the bye, I am interested in how fabric manufacturing has changed especially towards the worse. There maybe some clues how not to get burned here.

Last edited by MooneyBloke; 01-24-23 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-24-23, 03:19 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Building up a Vintage bike can be fun, Fun, FUN!

Even if ya don't ride it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.