Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Campagnolo story

Old 01-26-23, 09:58 PM
alfaspider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Campagnolo story

about 7 years ago my freind decided to go from 10 speed campy to 11 speed... i happend to be at dinner with them, with my late wife... so as dinner goes on,, we started to talk about the new campy 11 speed set ups... and how he wanted to upgrade his bike.. wife says.. your bike works fine.. you are always cleaning it, this and that.....so he decides to tell his wife about how great the campagnolo 11 speed record was... and how it would last forever..and he would never change this perfect system. this went on for about 15 mins... hes wife says ok...but you must put the old campy record 10 on my bike.. he say sure.. well he gets his new parts , installs them.. great riding for may years... then campy 12eds come out.. this is a few months before my wife passes from covied 19... we are going to the bodgea bay in my car.. so they are in the back seat. .. he chatting her up on the campy12eds system, and how great it is.etc... and to his suprise..she pull out her phone... a few years back when we were at dinner and he was saying how great campagnolo 11 speed was.... she recorded it on her phone.. and played it back... my wife just looked at me and mouthed..' he's screwed ' and giggled... i watched when i could in my mirror.. and watched him slowly sink into he rear seat...... after the recording stopped...she started laughing....she had been married to him at that point about 23 years... at some point ,,she caught on to him.. most likely in year 1 lol...he's very happy with his 11 speed record to this day
Likes For alfaspider:
Old 01-26-23, 10:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I am curious about this but it reads like a certain former T.V. stars twitterings from the toilet. Too much..... It would be neat to have it more readable or a TLR type version without the .....'s and one long paragraph

I want to try Ekar though and it would be cool if Campy made some flat bar shifters again or maybe just maybe one thumbie just one again. I know I want Euclid and Record O.R. in a modern version and I know that is silly but a person can dream, no?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-26-23, 11:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Noted
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-27-23, 12:19 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
(Proper) punctuation is your friend.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-27-23, 08:04 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Funny story. Thanks for sharing. Lose the ellipses and just go with periods.

I am curious why his wife recorded him. Was it with the anticipation of this very moment in the future? Smart gal!
Old 01-27-23, 09:08 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Sorry about your wife. Covid got my dad two years ago.

I have 9-speed, and have no desire to get anything with more gears.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-27-23, 10:57 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by alfaspider
about 7 years ago my freind decided to go from 10 speed campy to 11 speed... i happend to be at dinner with them, with my late wife... so as dinner goes on,, we started to talk about the new campy 11 speed set ups... and how he wanted to upgrade his bike.. wife says.. your bike works fine.. you are always cleaning it, this and that.....so he decides to tell his wife about how great the campagnolo 11 speed record was... and how it would last forever..and he would never change this perfect system. this went on for about 15 mins... hes wife says ok...but you must put the old campy record 10 on my bike.. he say sure.. well he gets his new parts , installs them.. great riding for may years... then campy 12eds come out.. this is a few months before my wife passes from covied 19... we are going to the bodgea bay in my car.. so they are in the back seat. .. he chatting her up on the campy12eds system, and how great it is.etc... and to his suprise..she pull out her phone... a few years back when we were at dinner and he was saying how great campagnolo 11 speed was.... she recorded it on her phone.. and played it back... my wife just looked at me and mouthed..' he's screwed ' and giggled... i watched when i could in my mirror.. and watched him slowly sink into he rear seat...... after the recording stopped...she started laughing....she had been married to him at that point about 23 years... at some point ,,she caught on to him.. most likely in year 1 lol...he's very happy with his 11 speed record to this day
Great story. Whether it's actually true or not is another question. But a great story.
Old 01-27-23, 11:09 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Funny story. Thanks for sharing. Lose the ellipses and just go with periods.

I am curious why his wife recorded him. Was it with the anticipation of this very moment in the future? Smart gal!
They'd been married 16 years. Maybe she saw a pattern?
Old 01-27-23, 11:15 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Sorry about your wife. Covid got my dad two years ago.

I have 9-speed, and have no desire to get anything with more gears.
+1 Another 9-speed. DT Campy, Serves me very well. 2 wheels and about 3 1/2 cassettes means making up custom cassettes is easy. Plenty of rotation on the cogs. New chains are cheap. This might serve me well the rest of my riding days.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-27-23, 11:22 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Been happy with my six gears in back and two up front... Ask my wife...

For me the only time I get to freely talk about bikes is on this forum... Ha

Nice memory!!!
Old 01-27-23, 11:38 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
I love 10 speed Campagnolo (especially 10s Triples). Any time anyone wants to upgrade to 12 or 13 or whatever speed, I will appropriately dispose of your 10S stuff for you for the low, low cost of shipping.
Old 01-27-23, 10:15 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
alfaspider, I believe you were going for something like this...?

About 7 years ago my friend decided to go from 10 speed campy to 11 speed. I happened to be at dinner with them, with my late wife.

As dinner goes on, we started to talk about the new campy 11 speed set ups and how he wanted to upgrade his bike. His wife says, "Your bike works fine, you are always cleaning it," this and that. So he decides to tell his wife about how great the campagnolo 11 speed record was, and how it would last forever, and he would never change this perfect system. This went on for about 15 minutes. His wife says, "Ok...but you must put the old campy record 10 on my bike." He says "sure."

Well he gets his new parts, installs them, has great riding for many years. Then campy 12eds come out. (This is a few months before my wife passed from covid 19.) We are going to the Bodega Bay in my car, they are in the back seat. He's chatting her up on the campy 12eds system, and how great it is, etc.

To his suprise, she pulls out her phone. A few years back when we were at dinner and he was saying how great campagnolo 11 speed was, she recorded it on her phone! She played it back... my wife just looked at me and mouthed, "he's screwed" and giggled. I watched when I could in my mirror, and watched him slowly sink into the rear seat. After the recording stopped she started laughing. She had been married to him at that point about 23 years. At some point she caught on to him, most likely in year 1 lol.

He's very happy with his 11 speed record to this day.
Old 01-27-23, 11:27 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I've never changed anything up in gear quantity just to change. IMHO (repeat IMHO) its delusional to think that anything above 9 is "better", except if the capacity changes to accommodate one's gear needs, or the ergonomics of the shifters is better for the user. If things wear out or I build up a new bike and, if for some reason don't have the old parts available (as if they went with a bike I got rid of), I generally go to the current iteration. But now, we have 3 10 speeds and 1 8 speed road bikes in the garage. Man they work perfectly!
Old 01-28-23, 07:40 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
So that's why I'm single! Hmm.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 01-28-23, 03:04 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
I found it readable.
I shift my 18 speed Pinion more than I shift my 3x7 derailleur bike, but the derailleur machine is consistently faster over the same courses.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 01-28-23, 04:42 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I am going backwards. Although I have 10,11, and 12 speed “modern bikes”, my recent purchases go the other way. 3x9 Campy. And yesterday a 2x8 Campy that is morphing into a 3x8. The triples are a hoot.

Mike
Old 01-29-23, 11:38 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Sorry for your loss.May she R.I.P. always.
Old 01-30-23, 05:50 AM
BBB_Adrift

Bikes: PlanetX Gravel, Spa Ti Endurance, Cannondale Optimo Road, Bianchi Infinito CV, Condor 1997 Steel Road. N+1 applies.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
So that's why I'm single! Hmm.
Ditto.