Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fast 35-42mm road tires

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fast 35-42mm road tires

Old 06-20-22, 10:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
If you had an AMG E63 wagon, then you probably won't be needing to tow a travel trailer with a 911 Turbo. (I wanted to make a comment about how a Chevy Suburban 7400/8100 would probably be able to tow both German conveyances and the trailer, but I already wasted that one on another thread involving a Prius.)
But you can't tow with a 911, the factory said the towing limit is ZERO.
Old 06-20-22, 10:20 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Ummm... my point exactly??! That's why God created the high displacement, low revving V8!
Old 06-20-22, 11:22 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Yeah, continental seems to have a really fast rubber.
Went to 42 Conti Speed Rides. They roll really well. Handling my admittedly modest trail use . No flats in over a year. I’m good….

Likes For gorillimo:
Old 06-21-22, 04:27 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm pretty sure a Porsche 911 Turbo towing a travel trailer will still be faster than an AMG E63 wagon towing a travel trailer.
The highest torque output for the 911 is 590 foot pounds, that's quite a bit. The MBZ has the same at 590. The MBZ puts out 603 horses, while the Porsche puts out 640 hp. So based on those two bits of facts the edge goes to Porsche but barely. However, there is more to the equation, such as gearing, if one of those cars has a lower gear ratio that car would probably win, but barely.

Having said that there is one major issue that supersedes the torque and horsepower rating, it's called towing capacity. The max towing capacity that a Porsche can tow is ZERO weight; the max towing capacity of the MBZ is 4,629 pounds.

In this race the MBZ wins by a landslide.
If you had an AMG E63 wagon, then you probably won't be needing to tow a travel trailer with a 911 Turbo. (I wanted to make a comment about how a Chevy Suburban 7400/8100 would probably be able to tow both German conveyances and the trailer, but I already wasted that one on another thread involving a Prius.)
Ummm... my point exactly??! That's why God created the high displacement, low revving V8!
Sort of rude guys...if you want to discuss cars and nonsense maybe find a room someplace..else.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 06-21-22, 07:52 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by gorillimo
Went to 42 Conti Speed Rides. They roll really well. Handling my admittedly modest trail use . No flats in over a year. I’m good….

great looking bike and pic

wish the speed rides were available in a smaller size
Old 06-21-22, 08:27 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
gorillimo excellent pics.

Hows the wear on that rubber? Bout then what do u weigh?
Old 06-21-22, 10:12 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 199 Posts
There are V6's that can also tow, but as far as know most if not all V6's are limited to 7,000 pounds tops...UNLESS, it's one of those new Eco Boost 3.5L twin turbo V6 trucks that they claim can tow 10,000 pounds. The problem with those twin turbo V6 engines is that people are now realizing that they are junk engines. What happens when they tow is the engine gets too hot and overheats, this is due to using too small of an engine, and when towing those turbos are running most of time, and doing so is putting a lot of heat into the engine. They're already having major issues with these types of engines. and I doubt the engine will last more than 100,000 mile if it's used for towing or carrying heavy loads in the bed a lot, not to mention all the repairs you're going to be putting into during that time frame.

Even Toyota is coming out with twin turbo V6, as much as I like Toyota vehicles, I'm a bit reserved on that new one. While Toyota engineers their stuff to last a long time, but using twin turbos they could run into issues; we'll have to wait and see if Toyota can deliver the goods, or will the new Tundra become their biggest fail job of all time.

For those reasons I mentioned is why I don't buy the first year vehicle, I wait for a couple of years so that most of the bugs are ironed out.
Old 06-21-22, 10:25 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
I was visiting a friend of mine who's a Mercedes-Benz mechanic recently. He showed me a 2022 MB W222 with a base 2.0L, twin-turbo four-cylinder that was busted after less than 14,000 miles and - as you'd expect - the dealer won't honor the warranty for one reason or another. I told him that there never is, never has been, and never will be a replacement for displacement.
Old 06-21-22, 10:43 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
Hey guys let’s stay on topic please. It’s about bicycle tires. Thanks
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 06-21-22, 01:03 PM
gorillimo

Originally Posted by Aladin
gorillimo excellent pics.

Hows the wear on that rubber? Bout then what do u weigh?
Thanks. I’m in San Luis Obispo, California. Great riding area..
They seem to be very good about wear. I run them on the softer side of pressure. Probably about 60 psi. Max is 85. I weigh about 170 lbs.

Last edited by gorillimo; 06-21-22 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-21-22, 01:05 PM
gorillimo

Originally Posted by t2p
great looking bike and pic

wish the speed rides were available in a smaller size
Thanks. Surly Cross Check. My birthday gift to myself a couple years ago.
Old 01-28-23, 08:01 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I just spooned some 700x35 Conti Contact Urban tires on my gravel bike. These are wire bead only tires that are comparatively heavy. There is not much info out there on them. Bicycle Rolling Resistance likes them quite well. They have about as good a combination of rolling resistance and flat protection as I have seen. Given that puncture protection is my #1 consideration, getting reasonable rolling resistance with it is bonus. I'll ride them after dinner and report back.
I just got back from a test spin on these things. As a point of reference, the replaced Clement Strada LGG 700x32 road tires. As another point of reference, the best tires I have ever run are Conti GP4000 S2 tires in size 700x28.. The ride wasn't a thorough shakedown, as a thunderstorm is approaching. I rode them only on broken concrete streets up to about 20 MPH. They roll as well as the much lighter Clement tires. At 75 PSI (94 is max on these) they were compliant and not dead feeling.

Bottom line: I can see why Bicycle Rolling Resistance liked these. If they live up to their substantial puncture resistance rating, I am going to be thrilled. Interestingly BRR rated these a 5 of five and the Clements a 2 of 5. In terms of performance, these weren't that much better.

As it relates to the OP, I'd call them fast. Not the fastest, but satisfyingly fast.
Paul..any further thoughts on the Conti Contact Urbans? Looks like you've had a season on them at this point.
Old 01-28-23, 08:39 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Paul..any further thoughts on the Conti Contact Urbans? Looks like you've had a season on them at this point.
Absolutely love them. No flats. Grip well on dry surfaces and decent on wet. Comfortable ride without feeling dead. I'd go so far as to say they are the best bang or the buck all-around tire on the market based on my experience. They are at home on on anything from sporty rides to debris strewn urban streets.
Old 01-28-23, 09:08 AM
fishboat

Absolutely love them. No flats. Grip well on dry surfaces and decent on wet. Comfortable ride without feeling dead. I'd go so far as to say they are the best bang or the buck all-around tire on the market based on my experience. They are at home on on anything from sporty rides to debris strewn urban streets.
Cool..good to know. How about wear? I've been running GK Slicks(38mm) and Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (37mm) on my most-used bikes and both are comfortable, fast tires. The two tires feel very different, surprisingly so. The GKs feel fast, but the Supremes just feel like they want to go faster..hard to describe. Of the two, I'd choose the Supremes. That said..I enjoy trying other tires & the cost on the Conti Urban tires is attractive.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 01-28-23, 09:27 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 1,060 Posts
got a pair of 700x35 Continental GP Urban for mrs t2p bike

good looking tire

weigh around 340g (each) - and I assume will roll fairly well
Old 01-28-23, 09:35 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I have:
-GK ss 38's which are ok. Felt like slugs when I first rode them but are a little better now.
-38 Schwalbe Supremes are very good. Would choose them over GKs.
-If I were looking now for mostly road in a 35 I would get the Conti Gran Prix Urban. They are GP5000's in a larger size.

But, over Christmas when I bought for all around use I got Schwalbe Almotions in 50c. This is for my Wabi Single Speed. These are replacing a well worn set of 50c Big Apples.
Old 01-28-23, 07:27 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
I think I'll probably install a set of these on my current bike once I move my GP5000s on to the new road bike I'll be building up in the spring. It looks like they have all the advantages of the Schwalbe Marathons that I used to run at a significantly lower weight and a comparable price.
Old 01-28-23, 08:42 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Cool..good to know. How about wear? I've been running GK Slicks(38mm) and Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (37mm) on my most-used bikes and both are comfortable, fast tires. The two tires feel very different, surprisingly so. The GKs feel fast, but the Supremes just feel like they want to go faster..hard to describe. Of the two, I'd choose the Supremes. That said..I enjoy trying other tires & the cost on the Conti Urban tires is attractive.
I have no idea how many miles I have on them. They are showing no wear and no cuts or gouges. If you get them, I am interested in hearing your impressions.
Old 01-30-23, 08:37 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
From what I've read on various forums, the Conti Urban tires are not as tough against flats or wear as the Marathon Supremes are; however the Conti has a higher TPI which makes for a bit more comfortable ride than the Supremes. That is the way it usually goes, more wear resistance and more puncture resistance you pay for in the ride comfort.

For loaded riding the Supremes are a light duty touring tire, a better tire for touring is the Marathon Almotion tire, it lasts longer and it's also more puncture resistant. Schwalbe does make a better touring tire that will last longer and supposedly flat proof, but you do pay for that in the terms of a heavier tire and less comfort; on my touring bike I weighed all of that out and opted for the Almotion tire, a good compromise between comfort and flat protection. I did however, install a set of Rhinodillos Clean Motion flat liners because getting a flat with a loaded bike is a real pain, not to mention these types of tires are also a pain to take off and put on, even with the weight of the liners I'm still significantly lighter than the top of the line touring tire the Marathon Plus Tour by about 300 grams each. I feel with the liners my flat protection is about on par with the Plus Tour while still being more comfortable with less rolling resistance, in fact the Almotion has among the less rolling resistance of any touring tire. Even loaded the Almotion tires will last between 5,000 to 6,000 miles, whereas the Tour Plus will last about 10,000 miles; so I can tour across the USA on one set of Almotion tires, which is my goal.