Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First ride in a LONG time = back pain again

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

First ride in a LONG time = back pain again

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-23, 06:54 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Thank you all for the input and thoughts.
I spent some time on the set up and discovered that someone (probably me) had really messed it up.
I made a lot of adjustments starting at what I use on everything and changing for comfort from there.

This morning I did another ride of about the same time and effort as previously, except for that I stretched my back before and after the ride.

Good news, back does NOT hurt!!! But my right knee does. I will tweak my shoes/pedals a little to try and alleviate that.
Old 01-27-23, 08:05 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
When arthritis found my back what has helped is larger tires, selle anatomica saddles, more upright fitting, Ti frames, anti-vibration gloves and on bad days a recumbent trike.
Old 01-27-23, 08:28 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 264 Posts
First is to have a medical evaluation to try to determine what may be wrong...you speak of a herniated disk and slight scoliosis so there the problem may be or begin.
Do you do any stretching? Flexibility is key especially as the body ages. If you don't have a regular stretching routine you need to develop one and stick with it.
Have you been properly fitted? If not it is likely time you do. Your bike's current set up may not meet your bodies needs at this point in your life.
Do you do any core strength training? If not then do so...with medical support and guidance so no known injuries are aggravated.
Start all...stretching, core strength training, riding, etc....slowly and build up step by step...to rush things may cause injury and result in losing ground rather than improving.
Good luck...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 01-28-23, 12:54 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Medical advice on BF.

So many things to say .... hurts my brain ..... must ... leave ....
Nailed it.
Ironically, I'm thinking 100% of those who clicked on the thread have or had a back issue..... though this has NOTHING to do with the C&V bikey sub-forum.

But what do the hypocrite mods do, they leave it as is, yet a newbie is barraged by longtime snobs users and forced to have a rather interesting subject moved from this sub-forum.

This internet brands is not unlike ABC and the View show. Haha
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 01-28-23, 01:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Medical advice on BF.

The OP asked. Many answered. Many have responded with bike setup recommendations, which isn't medical advice, and therefore on topic. No need to be snarky.
Old 01-28-23, 02:00 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Nailed it.
Ironically, I'm thinking 100% of those who clicked on the thread have or had a back issue..... though this has NOTHING to do with the C&V bikey sub-forum.

But what do the hypocrite mods do, they leave it as is, yet a newbie is barraged by longtime snobs users and forced to have a rather interesting subject moved from this sub-forum.

This internet brands is not unlike ABC and the View show. Haha
Sounds like your beef isn't with this thread, but you wanted to lash out about having your thread moved. For the record, I enjoyed your thread and it was certainly on topic more than the "show me your (cat, dog, watch)" threads. But those threads don't bother me either.

As for sniping at the mods, shame on you. It's a volunteer position, and they don't read every thread. That's not their job. If you don't like what they're doing, PM a mod, don't complain here about them. If you haven't bothered to read the rules here yet (who does?), there's a little red button at the lower left corner of every single post. Click on that if you want to complain to the mods, or point out an issue with a post or thread. You're part of a neighborhood watch group, it's on you to report something you don't feel is right.

You're 28 posts in as I type this reply. I scanned through your posts, they seem to fit in well with this group (outside of the one I'm replying to). Drop the temperature, don't get bent out of shape about a free forum about bicycles.
Old 01-28-23, 02:02 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Essthreetee
Thank you all for the input and thoughts.
I spent some time on the set up and discovered that someone (probably me) had really messed it up.
I made a lot of adjustments starting at what I use on everything and changing for comfort from there.

This morning I did another ride of about the same time and effort as previously, except for that I stretched my back before and after the ride.

Good news, back does NOT hurt!!! But my right knee does. I will tweak my shoes/pedals a little to try and alleviate that.
Great to hear! Knee pain is a lot easier to deal with than back pain.
Old 01-28-23, 05:02 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Medical advice on BF.

Originally Posted by gugie
But it's free!
...I know enough about back pain and the various causes and therapeutics for it, that I don't give away free advice. Even in person. My liability insurance company insists I remain silent here.
Old 01-28-23, 06:06 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 230 Posts
Sounds like your beef isn't with this thread, but you wanted to lash out about having your thread moved. For the record, I enjoyed your thread and it was certainly on topic more than the "show me your (cat, dog, watch)" threads. But those threads don't bother me either.

As for sniping at the mods, shame on you. It's a volunteer position, and they don't read every thread. That's not their job. If you don't like what they're doing, PM a mod, don't complain here about them. If you haven't bothered to read the rules here yet (who does?), there's a little red button at the lower left corner of every single post. Click on that if you want to complain to the mods, or point out an issue with a post or thread. You're part of a neighborhood watch group, it's on you to report something you don't feel is right.

You're 28 posts in as I type this reply. I scanned through your posts, they seem to fit in well with this group (outside of the one I'm replying to). Drop the temperature, don't get bent out of shape about a free forum about bicycles.
Thank you for your 'volunteer' Welcome administration work. My pity as you almighty deserve. Can see it took quite an arm wrist wrestle with your keyboard and no one but yourself volunteered for the job.

Anyways, I'll volunteer and put this thread right 'back' and fit with this C&V sub-forum. It was a wonderful bike show day in Dania FL. This 'boneshaker' is not your type of ride, but Marko, you really need to put down your pipes in the shop and get out for a bike ride. But above all, we don't need any more lefty coasters in FL. Ciao
Old 01-28-23, 06:35 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 141 Posts
>> My liability insurance company insists I remain silent here.

I doubt that.

And nobody is giving out "medical" advice on a public forum.

But we all ride bikes, and we all have backs, and I dare say most of us grown-ups have back pain at least occasionally.
I'm always interested to hear what works for others.
I can then use my brain to figure out what to do with that information.

I've not said anything about this simply because my back pain goes away when I ride my bike a few times a week. That's not likely to help here, but it's a worthwhile data point.

cheers -m
Likes For steine13:
Old 01-28-23, 07:34 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
The OP asked. Many answered. Many have responded with bike setup recommendations, which isn't medical advice, and therefore on topic. No need to be snarky.
Years of soft-tissue pain, 3 operations on 2 discs and a third disc right on the edge, loads of valium, I am pretty confident I know problems with one's back. I also know it is just that, problems with one back. To have any expectation that it has any bearing on any other back is an exercise in stupidity.

Also, it is not the first rodeo for the OP, says so in the OP. You can raise the bars, lower the bars, decrease reach, increase reach, move the saddle forward, move it back. The options aren't difficult. The OP futzed with it to fit their individual needs, essentially ignoring all "advice" in the thread. So no, I was not being snarky. The whole thread is just stupid.

Or the OP can hop on their left foot for 20 minutes. Should clear it right up. (That's snarky, for the record.)
Likes For iab:
Old 01-29-23, 12:29 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by iab
Years of soft-tissue pain, 3 operations on 2 discs and a third disc right on the edge, loads of valium, I am pretty confident I know problems with one's back. I also know it is just that, problems with one back. To have any expectation that it has any bearing on any other back is an exercise in stupidity.

Also, it is not the first rodeo for the OP, says so in the OP. You can raise the bars, lower the bars, decrease reach, increase reach, move the saddle forward, move it back. The options aren't difficult. The OP futzed with it to fit their individual needs, essentially ignoring all "advice" in the thread. So no, I was not being snarky. The whole thread is just stupid.

Or the OP can hop on their left foot for 20 minutes. Should clear it right up. (That's snarky, for the record.)
If you don't like the thread, you could always just skip it rather than insult people on this forum. @steine13's post, above, pretty much sums up what I'm feeling about this thread.
Old 01-29-23, 12:36 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Thank you for your 'volunteer' Welcome administration work. My pity as you almighty deserve. Can see it took quite an arm wrist wrestle with your keyboard and no one but yourself volunteered for the job.

Anyways, I'll volunteer and put this thread right 'back' and fit with this C&V sub-forum. It was a wonderful bike show day in Dania FL. This 'boneshaker' is not your type of ride, but Marko, you really need to put down your pipes in the shop and get out for a bike ride. But above all, we don't need any more lefty coasters in FL. Ciao
Uh, I'm not an admin, just sticking up for them.

Besides that, what's up with the attitude? You haven't been here more than a month and you've come out swinging.
Old 01-29-23, 07:31 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Is there a way to ignore someone and not get ANY indication that their subsequent posts are being ignored?

wrt backs, I highly recommend dead bugs and back extensions and crunches to complement time on the bike.
Old 01-29-23, 08:51 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Classtime
Is there a way to ignore someone and not get ANY indication that their subsequent posts are being ignored?

wrt backs, I highly recommend dead bugs and back extensions and crunches to complement time on the bike.
Not that I know of.

But I would like to know how you do dead bugs!
Old 01-29-23, 09:38 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
If you don't like the thread, you could always just skip it rather than insult people on this forum. @steine13's post, above, pretty much sums up what I'm feeling about this thread.
And yet here you still are, keeping this at the top of the page. Top notch work. Top notch. How about a Fresca?
Likes For iab:
Old 01-29-23, 09:45 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Dead bugs.
once you get the hang of it add same side and also both arms and legs simultaneously and then put some dumbbells in you hands.
Old 01-29-23, 09:52 AM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Agreed.

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
How is the bike set up? Aggressive stance? Have you tried an upright position? I know it isn’t your Lemond, but a beach cruiser or recumbent may be a less painful way to get back on two wheels. I’m wondering too if PT and stretching may go along well with attempting biking again. Not a lot of info so I’m shooting in the dark a bit here and making assumptions.
I started riding more upright when I experienced lower back pain. But a Dr knows more than I so that is a great next step.
Old 01-29-23, 12:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Sadly, you still see quotes. I thought about learning greasemonkey so I could fix that, but it seems like a lot of work.
One of the sad consequences of being a mod is not being able to put anyone on ignore.

As far as people complaining about mods, I'm reminded of the people that started their own forum because the bf mods were too harsh. Their forum was overrun by hate and discontent and they started banning lots of people before it shut down. If the only thing about your thread that is C&V is a brand in the title, then it might be moved from here. Tbh, the main reason I'm still a mod is to ban spammers. But I will act in cases of blatant bigotry or other egregious violations of civil discourse.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-29-23, 12:29 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11955 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts

Couldn't have said it better.
Likes For BillyD: