Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bar tape

Old 01-30-23, 11:37 PM
Spandex_fairy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Bar tape

I noticed that my supacaz tape has worn thru, where the thumb rests, while in the drops. I assume this is normal wear, after a year of riding. Which bar tape would be more robust, yet similar in feel to supacaz?
Old 01-31-23, 07:57 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
I have not tried Supacaz, but this stuff wears like iron. I get about 8000 miles before it looks too tattered… Though it is still perfectly functional at that point. Tremendous grip, wet or dry.

Last edited by Koyote; 01-31-23 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-31-23, 10:29 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
The best and best looking tape is Fizik classic microfiber.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-31-23, 10:34 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
That's a meaningless subjective judgment.
Old 01-31-23, 10:48 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Spandex_fairy
I noticed that my supacaz tape has worn thru, where the thumb rests, while in the drops. I assume this is normal wear, after a year of riding. Which bar tape would be more robust, yet similar in feel to supacaz?
If I rode 1K miles per year and my bar tape wore out, I would assume it was truly crap. Absent some unusual circumstances, bar tape can last 10s of thousands of miles. There are lots of good brands of bar tape out there and the choice comes down to personal preference. The Fizik bar tape that comes with their saddles lasts about as long as their saddles do - maybe 35K miles. I've had good luck with Profile as well, but again there are lots of good brands.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-31-23, 10:52 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by Koyote
That's a meaningless subjective judgment.
I'll give you "subjective," but not "meaningless."

Brooks microfiber (not leather) is way too thick. Looks stupid.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-31-23, 10:55 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
If I rode 1K miles per year and my bar tape wore out, I would assume it was truly crap. Absent some unusual circumstances, bar tape can last 10s of thousands of miles. There are lots of good brands of bar tape out there and the choice comes down to personal preference. The Fizik bar tape that comes with their saddles lasts about as long as their saddles do - maybe 35K miles. I've had good luck with Profile as well, but again there are lots of good brands.
I've got Fizik bar tape on one of my bikes, and it still looks great after several thousand miles. (I'm not keeping track, so that's a guess.) However, bar tape's lifespan is a pretty subjective thing, I think. I've got friends who keep using tape even when it's tattered, coming loose, and just generally disgusting-looking...But it's "lasting" a long time.

In the grand scheme of cycling expenses, bar tape -- even the pricier ones -- is inexpensive, and fresh tape is a nice way to freshen up a bike's appearance. So mine may not "last" as long as it could.
Old 01-31-23, 10:57 AM
Koyote

I'll give you "subjective," but not "meaningless."
It's meaningless because (I'm willing to bet) you haven't actually tried every other bar tape on the market....So, your claim that any particular tape is "The best and best looking" holds little merit.

You might just state the reasons why you like Fizik tape. That would be helpful to the OP.

But I agree that Fizik is good stuff. I've got the thickest one (I forget the terminology) on one of my bikes. It's difficult to wrap, but -- once on the bike -- it's quite nice and durable.
Old 01-31-23, 11:08 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

It's meaningless, because you haven't actually tried every other bar tape.

Why would I want to try any tape other than Fizik? Please don't answer. It's rhetorical. There is no need to be literally and scientifically precise with any bikeforum bar tape opinion, which is exactly what every single reply to this thread would be.
Old 01-31-23, 11:09 AM
Koyote

Why would I want to try any tape other than Fizik? Please don't answer. It's rhetorical.
So you're stating that you've only used Fizik, and you're convinced it's better than every other bar tape out there?

I can't argue with that 'logic.' Carry on.
Old 01-31-23, 11:21 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I have not tried Supacaz, but this stuff wears like iron. I get about 8000 miles before it looks too tattered… Though it is still perfectly functional at that point. Tremendous grip, wet or dry.
How's the adhesive on that Cambium rubber tape? I usually get half way done with taping one side and realize I have the wrong amount of overlap and unwind it and start over, so I don't like strong adhesive.
Old 01-31-23, 11:22 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tyrion
How's the adhesive on that Cambium rubber tape? I usually get half way done with taping one side and realize I have the wrong amount of overlap and unwind it and start over, so I don't like strong adhesive.
You'll be fine -- it won't stick too strongly. But forewarning: the tape doesn't really stretch, so it is more challenging to wrap, esp around the levers. But that lack of stretch is part and parcel of why the stuff is soo durable.

Last edited by Koyote; 01-31-23 at 11:33 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-31-23, 11:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Another durable tape is Adarga. Made from US cows in the US. Cheaper than Brooks leather.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-31-23, 11:42 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

So you're stating that you've only used Fizik, and you're convinced it's better than every other bar tape out there?
No, I'm saying, after using Fizik Classic, why use anything else? It's the best!
Old 01-31-23, 01:42 PM
Spandex_fairy

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'll give the fizik a shot; I already have their saddle. I was surprised to see that I wore thru the tape within ~1.5yr/3.5k miles. I think the accelerated wear came from down-shifting, while in the drops, on repeated descents.
Old 01-31-23, 02:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Spandex_fairy
I'll give the fizik a shot; I already have their saddle. I was surprised to see that I wore thru the tape within ~1.5yr/3.5k miles. I think the accelerated wear came from down-shifting, while in the drops, on repeated descents.
I would want to replace it at that point anyway worn or not. Tape soaks in your sweat and it sits on the handlebar all the time and you cannot see what is going on underneath it. It is a good thing to do yearly and you can also replace cables and housing and get better shifting and braking as well.

I have seen a few handlebars that have white powder (corrosion) on them and that is not good and poses a safety risk. Tape is pretty cheap and easy to find at any bike shop just about anywhere and it also can make your bike look really good so it is good to replace regularly for that reason as well.
Old 01-31-23, 02:50 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Another durable tape is Adarga. Made from US cows in the US. Cheaper than Brooks leather.
Doesn't come in white.
Old 01-31-23, 02:56 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
If I rode 1K miles per year and my bar tape wore out, I would assume it was truly crap. Absent some unusual circumstances, bar tape can last 10s of thousands of miles. There are lots of good brands of bar tape out there and the choice comes down to personal preference.
This. If any bar tape only lasted 1K miles, I would never buy that brand again.

Many good brands out there. Personally, I like MSW tape.
Old 01-31-23, 03:28 PM
zaje

Bikes: Ridley XBow

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
My Fizik microtex bondush now has over 6000km and I plan to reuse it on new handlebar which I will swap in couple of weeks (despite of the fact that I have new one on shelf). So my vote goes to Fizik.
Likes For zaje:
Old 01-31-23, 03:50 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I'd go a buy another roll of Supacaz. I ride it on two bikes and my primary bike has probably 3,000 miles on it and it's just now starting to wear. I'll go back with another roll of Supacaz. I like it that much.

I've tried Fizik, Brooks leather and a few others but the Supacaz has a great feel and comes with nice aluminum plugs to boot.
Old 01-31-23, 04:33 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
But I agree that Fizik is good stuff. I've got the thickest one (I forget the terminology) on one of my bikes. It's difficult to wrap, but -- once on the bike -- it's quite nice and durable.

On topic: Fizik microfiber is the way to go.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Hermes; 01-31-23 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Rude comment
Old 01-31-23, 05:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Fizik microfiber is the way to go.
Do you think it's "difficult to wrap"?

Maybe he's talking about some thick stuff I don't know about.
Old 01-31-23, 07:24 PM
Koyote

Maybe he's talking about some thick stuff I don't know about.
Do you wrap your own bars? If so, get some of the Fizik tape that's 3mm thick and try it. It has no stretch. It's very difficult to get it to lay flush around the sti levers. I managed to do it, but it took twice as long as I normally need to wrap a handlebar.
Old 01-31-23, 07:44 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Maybe compared to the Cinelli cork/foam tape or similar. But it's nowhere near the nightmare of the Brooks microfiber, and the end result is worth any extra effort.
Clean, smooth, and grippy. No bumpy effect on the overwrap. Basically indestructible. Easy to clean. I don't see a downside, which is why it's all I use now.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 01-31-23 at 07:48 PM.
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 01-31-23, 07:50 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,723 Posts
Excellent wrap job F531!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.