Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electronic vs Mechanical shifting

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Electronic vs Mechanical shifting

Old 02-02-23, 10:45 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I think one of the biggest benefits is the set it and forget it. Unless you bang it out of alignment, once you set it up, you rarely if ever, have to adjust it.
You're not talking about mechanical shifting?
Old 02-02-23, 11:56 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
another question related to a new bike i am looking at. for those of you that ride with electronic shifting do you think you would ever or never go back to mechanical? its an option for me that brings up the price a bit and am a bit on the fence about it. my accountant says its in my budget so am leaning toward it. in my reading up about it though it really sounds cool.
No but that's more because that's where the industry is pushing everyone. I think Shimano is disc their mechanical high end group sets anyway. So electronic shifting is heavier and more expensive but it's simply stays true indefinitely, crisper shifts, and looks cooler. I still think there is a ton of value in mechanical shifting due to it's simplicity and price. My rear Rival ETAP AXS derailleur just went bad and if the retailer had not just swapped it out for me I would be out another $270. A equivalent mechanical Shimano 105 RD-R7000 is $60 or less.

Now if you want to debate Shimano Di2 vs SRAM ETAP AXS that's more complicated but I am team SRAM ETAP AXS for what it's worth
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 02-02-23, 02:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You're not talking about mechanical shifting?
could be, but I will stick with my electronic.

Old 02-02-23, 02:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by momoman
I’m now seriously trying to decide between Ultegra and Sram for my Yoeleo R12 frame set.

https://wheretheroadforks.com/shiman...onic-shifting/

edit: corrected the link

I've had both, can't go wrong with either in the long run. However, having said that, if you do go SRAM, you will need to ensure your wheels will work with the XDR hub body and if you can get a XDR hub body for your wheels. Both my road bikes are running SRAM as I did not want to have to deal with two different ecosystems.

Old 02-02-23, 03:03 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Can you get electronic shifting with the paddle removed behind the brakes so you can bring the brake lever closer to the handle bar? My gf has small hands and she can't comfortably use the drops on a long decent.

A few people that I have asked if they would rather have carbon wheel set or electronic shifting they all said electronic shifting. I was really surprised.
Old 02-02-23, 04:07 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Thanks for the pedaling standing info. I hadn’t thought about that! Also, I just double-checked the Yoeleo site and the R12 supports mechanical and electronic shifting. However, I am leaning towards electronic now. Hmmmm, what do I do with my new mechanical Ultegra R8000 groupset? Buy another frame?
I'd sell the group on ebay or the pace line forum. Wireless electronic is so much easier. I've got two R12 frames with Force. The price for the Yoeleo R12 has gone way up. What used to cost $1215 is now $1890. The base price is $1590, but unless you want flat black or hemidium color, add another $300. I got pearl white and Baltic red/black for $1215.

Yoeleobike.com
​​​​​
Old 02-02-23, 05:12 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Can you get electronic shifting with the paddle removed behind the brakes so you can bring the brake lever closer to the handle bar? My gf has small hands and she can't comfortably use the drops on a long decent.

A few people that I have asked if they would rather have carbon wheel set or electronic shifting they all said electronic shifting. I was really surprised.
They shifters have adjustment bolt to bring the paddles closer to the bars. I had to bring mine in on the Domane as the bars on it have a larger reach than the bars I have on my Emonda.

https://totalwomenscycling.com/road-...rs-small-hands

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-03-23, 08:03 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by sean.hwy

SRAM shifters have lots of lever adjustment, but the shift paddle can hit the bars before full braking power occurs, if the lever adjustment is set too close. With hydraulic brakes, the pad contact adjuster should be turned CCW as far as possible so the pads are as close to the rotors as possible. Rival levers have no pad contact adjustment, so I avoided buying them. I have my levers set as close to the bars as possible. It may help to turn the brake hoods inward slightly, so the shift paddle has a little more clearance.

I'd like to see carbon bars shaped to produce more clearance.

Don't get carried away with the contact adjuster. I saw a shifter that was broken when someone turned the adjuster too hard in the CCW direction.

​​​​​
Old 02-03-23, 09:35 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
IMO if weight and a months worth of battery if not the main concern then I would go SRAM ETAP AXS since it's truly wireless which makes it easier to install and service, the app is really good, costs less, availability for parts is better, and IMO is simply designed better IE little things like a cassette simply being one piece and simply threads on the hub. Shimano is great stuff but what's the point of going electronic if your Shimano RD still has a snagable wire attached to it?
Old 02-03-23, 10:07 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
If you can afford it, it really is quite nice to have electronic. Saying that, nothing wrong with mechanical.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 02-03-23, 12:30 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I've had both, can't go wrong with either in the long run. However, having said that, if you do go SRAM, you will need to ensure your wheels will work with the XDR hub body and if you can get a XDR hub body for your wheels. Both my road bikes are running SRAM as I did not want to have to deal with two different ecosystems.
Good information! All my wheels have Shimano freehub bodies, and I have a new set of Winspace wheels with Shimano freehubs I got for my Yoeleo R12 frame. They do sell the SRAM freehub for the wheel so if i decide to go with SRAM I’ll need to buy that freehub, but then I’ll have wheels with 2 different ecosystems.
Old 02-03-23, 03:06 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
It is a subjective decision. For me it adds another point of failure and I have had no problems using standard shifting with the integrated shifter and brake levers that became common 20 years ago. It is one more thing that may fail and I really don't want to start carrying a spare $100 Di2 battery with me on my bikes.

Shimano product managers need a new gimick to sell more stuff as other than bike chains most bike components do not wear out. It also lets bike companies sell a higher level package to price their bikes higher and make more profit. Pro racers will add a new component in part because they are paid to do so, much like basketball shoes on pro atheletes.
Old 02-03-23, 03:18 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
It is a subjective decision. For me it adds another point of failure and I have had no problems using standard shifting with the integrated shifter and brake levers that became common 20 years ago. It is one more thing that may fail and I really don't want to start carrying a spare $100 Di2 battery with me on my bikes.

Shimano product managers need a new gimick to sell more stuff as other than bike chains most bike components do not wear out. It also lets bike companies sell a higher level package to price their bikes higher and make more profit. Pro racers will add a new component in part because they are paid to do so, much like basketball shoes on pro atheletes.
I dont know anybody carries a spare Di2 battery as its generally not needed.
Old 02-03-23, 03:30 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Here is why I like electronic shifting more than mechanical

1. Due to some neuropathy, shifting mechanically is difficult and can be uncomfortable on really long rides
2. Ease of setup, set and forget
3. No cable stretch issues
4. Better aerodynamics
5. Much prefer the hood ergonomics of the SRAM AXS HRD Red over etap 11 speed hoods or the mechanical 11 speed by far
6. Right shifter to harder gear, left shifter for easier gear and both to shift the chainrings is very intuitive to me
7. Regular cage SRAM AXS on my bike can shift 36T whereas the extended cage can shift 39T, but the earlier Generation, it is much smaller rear cog.
8. On a TT bike, is there any argument which is better?

What I don't like is the inefficient AXS chain.
Old 02-03-23, 04:32 PM
jaxgtr

Good information! All my wheels have Shimano freehub bodies, and I have a new set of Winspace wheels with Shimano freehubs I got for my Yoeleo R12 frame. They do sell the SRAM freehub for the wheel so if i decide to go with SRAM I’ll need to buy that freehub, but then I’ll have wheels with 2 different ecosystems.
If the freehub bodies are simple to change out like mine are, very easy to move wheels back and forth if needed.

Old 02-03-23, 06:56 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Here is why I like electronic shifting more than mechanical

1. Due to some neuropathy, shifting mechanically is difficult and can be uncomfortable on really long rides
2. Ease of setup, set and forget
3. No cable stretch issues
4. Better aerodynamics
5. Much prefer the hood ergonomics of the SRAM AXS HRD Red over etap 11 speed hoods or the mechanical 11 speed by far
6. Right shifter to harder gear, left shifter for easier gear and both to shift the chainrings is very intuitive to me
7. Regular cage SRAM AXS on my bike can shift 36T whereas the extended cage can shift 39T, but the earlier Generation, it is much smaller rear cog.
8. On a TT bike, is there any argument which is better?

What I don't like is the inefficient AXS chain.
I have very weak thumbs from work related injuries, have a hard time with thumb shifters on mechanical mt. bike shifters. Electronic resolves that.
Old 02-03-23, 11:50 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 91 Posts
If you’re a techno freak or a data junkie, Shimano Di2 will display all sorts of data on your Garmin. You can see your Di2 battery life, gear combo, chain position.

Old 02-04-23, 02:25 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I don't want electronics or anything that I can't fix on the go and service at home for cheap.

I only suffered a couple of broken cables in my life, and it's a 10 minute job to replace them providing you don't have internal routing, which is the reason why I don't like internal routing.

I don't get what's so good with electronics. Properly adjusted mechanical shifters just work and, in my experience, last a long time without having to readjust them. Plus they're way cheaper and don't require a charger and batteries.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 02-04-23, 09:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun

On the other hand it removes the widely reported failure point with cables in Shimano brifters. Not that I ever considered that a major problem, but it was always in the back of my mind.

Nobody carries a spare Di2 battery, although I prefer SRAM individual mech batteries. I don’t carry a spare, but you could easily. If one battery fails I’ll just ride with the rear mech only. But not something I’ve had to do yet.
Old 02-04-23, 09:50 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Amt0571
I
I don't get what's so good with electronics..
Why don't you go back and actually read some of what's been posted here. I know that somebody has commented that electronic mostly needs very little maintenance, other than charging batteries every few months. I am no longer changing mechanical cables that get gummed up, resulting is steadily deteriorating shifting. I like that.
Old 02-04-23, 10:50 AM
DaveSSS 

With electronic, there's really nothing to fix other than the eventual replacement of the RD jockey pulleys, just like with mechanical. If a component quits working, there's little choice but to buy a new part, which is pretty much the case with mechanical. With SRAM, it's easy to carry a spare battery for the derailleurs. Some might also choose to carry extra coin batteries for the shift levers, but those usually last at least a year, so annual changing is good idea. It won't be too long before only the low level component groups are mechanical. Campy will be the last hold out since they were first with 12 speed, but still only have one level of electronic that costs more than most people want to spend.

Same goes for rim brakes. They're disappearing fast. I got rid of mine over 2 years ago.
Old 02-04-23, 10:55 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I do carry a spare SRAM battery but in 4-5 years have never had to use it.

If I start to get gear noise in certain gears, I know to check RD hanger alignment.

Everything has an expected failure rate. Mechanical shifters can fail, I have had Ultegra fail on me (the little plastic indexer inside). The RD spring on a mechanical derailleur failed. Thus far, no failures to the front or RD or shifter (one 11 speed and two 12 speeds). I have had TT blip switches wear out and get wonky, but they are easy and relatively cheap to replace.

I doubt I would use etap of axs electronic on a touring expedition in a remote area but on a 2-6 week tour? Why not. If something fails, just overnight the part if the LBS doesn't have it and they probably won't
Old 02-04-23, 11:10 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
If people are having to adjust and tinker with their mechanical derailleurs or cables with the frequency suggested here, they’re doing something wrong.

Once properly adjusted, mechanical derailleurs are also “set and forget.”
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-04-23, 12:18 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
If people are having to adjust and tinker with their mechanical derailleurs or cables with the frequency suggested here, they’re doing something wrong.

Once properly adjusted, mechanical derailleurs are also “set and forget.”
Agreed. Other than tweaking the barrel adjuster soon after installing new housing (the "bed in" period), I have never had to adjust my derailleurs. The shifting is instant, also.

Electronic shifting is a spiffy technology, to be sure, but it's a "tech bro" technology. It is not solving any problems.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-04-23, 12:38 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Why don't you go back and actually read some of what's been posted here. I know that somebody has commented that electronic mostly needs very little maintenance, other than charging batteries every few months. I am no longer changing mechanical cables that get gummed up, resulting is steadily deteriorating shifting. I like that.
Buy good quality cables and outers and they won't gum up.

I ran XTR cables for 7 years straight without a single replacement on my older MTB. More than 25.000km with the same cables. Zero issues.

My current road bike has 4 y/o cables, and my current MTB has been running for 3 years with same cables.

On my gravel bike I just replaced the crappy stock cable with a good quality one. As the former was sticking.
Likes For Amt0571:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.