Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Trails/MUPS in Florida

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-02-23, 11:51 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

Yes, I can use Google (and I did) and I did a forum search but since I'm not familiar with Florida, I'll ask here.

I'm considering a 4-5 day trip to Florida to ride every day. I'd appreciate recommendations for a particular city that I can use a a base that will provide easy access to one or hopefully more trails free of cars. In the past, someone talked about a 30-35 mile somewhat circular trail that they enjoyed (yes that's very vague) but out and back trails would be great too. Is there a city that has an abundant number of trails? I can Google the trails if a city fits the bill. I'd prefer 100% paved trails, but part paved/part light gravel would work. I don't want to use mountain bike trails this trip.

Thank you.
Old 02-03-23, 07:32 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 60 Posts
Just outside of Tampa is Flatwoods Park with a 7 mile paved loop that is great for cycling. When I lived down there, I used it several time every week and would highly recommend it for avoiding roads and those wonderful Florida drivers...

Flatwoods Park - Thonotosassa, FL
Old 02-03-23, 07:49 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Debary/Sanford, FL. 100%paved trails that you can take all the way to the coast going one way, and into Orlando the other way. Miles and miles of options from there.
Old 02-03-23, 08:15 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I haven't ridden it myself but the Withlacoochee trail runs through some beautiful areas. Lightly traveled in most sections.

Not circular and not really near a city of any size, but might be worth considering.

https://www.floridarambler.com/flori...e-state-trail/

Last edited by jon c.; 02-03-23 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-03-23, 09:00 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Coast-to-Coast

https://fdotwww.blob.core.windows.ne...rsn=c56e3206_2
Old 02-04-23, 09:01 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
I’ll just say that the megalopolis surrounding Fort Lauderdale and Miami is not a good option. I’m there right now for my second time wintering here, and road cycling in this area is not inspiring. There lots of roads with bike lanes. And there are lots of paved MUPs…mostly along the water management district canals. But riding on them is frequently disrupted by having to cross busy roads of the perfectly N-S, E-W grid work. And the traffic lights are LONG. So, you ride a mile…wait 5 minutes for a traffic light. Ride another mile…wait five minutes for a traffic light. Etc. But if you are going to SE Florida nevertheless…you might check out a location called Shark Valley out west of Miami, in the Everglades Nat’l Park. So you’d have to pay to enter. A neighbor showed me recent pics from cycling out there. She said it was something like 20 miles of paved trail…with alligators on or next to the trail in every pic…but still plenty of other cyclists around.

Dan
Old 02-04-23, 10:32 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Yes, I can use Google (and I did) and I did a forum search but since I'm not familiar with Florida, I'll ask here.

I'm considering a 4-5 day trip to Florida to ride every day. I'd appreciate recommendations for a particular city that I can use a a base that will provide easy access to one or hopefully more trails free of cars. In the past, someone talked about a 30-35 mile somewhat circular trail that they enjoyed (yes that's very vague) but out and back trails would be great too. Is there a city that has an abundant number of trails? I can Google the trails if a city fits the bill. I'd prefer 100% paved trails, but part paved/part light gravel would work. I don't want to use mountain bike trails this trip.
Get yourself a free membership to RideWithGPS and then search for routes in Florida. Open a map and click on the Bike Paths box when you are in the Map layer. It will show most bike paths and also bike lanes on streets (as dotted lines). You can move the map around the state and see the density of bike paths.
Old 02-04-23, 09:13 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

I've ridden some of this on the Eastern side and it is nice. Massive hot in the summer though, which in Florida, should be a know issue.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-05-23, 11:01 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Thank you to all that responded. I guess it's time to do some more research on my part.
Be well.
Likes For MAK:
Old 02-06-23, 01:58 AM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Check out the Rails To Trails site too.
Also, is this the loop you were asking about?
​​​​​​https://river2sealoop.org/

Last edited by munkeyfish; 02-06-23 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-06-23, 05:14 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

It you want an interesting ride, go around Lake Okeechobee.... Just don't do it in the summer, the heat and humidity will beat your to death not to mention the wind.

https://floridahikes.com/lake-okeechobee-scenic-trail

Old 02-06-23, 09:49 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
It you want an interesting ride, go around Lake Okeechobee.... J
I think the ride around Lake Okeechobee is largely unpaved, and is about 120 miles around. I've never been on it, but my cycling son has and that's what he reported. I don't know a lot of paved trails around Florida, but some I've ridden and enjoyed are:

Suncoast trail north of Tampa. It parallels a limited access highway, but the trail is separated from traffic and is not right next to the highway except in a few places. It's about 55 miles so would make a good century if you went out and back for the whole distance.

St. Marks trail south of Tallahassee. It's 16 miles and parallels a lightly traveled road. It ends in a nice small park on a river. I'll ride down 16 miles, take a sandwich to eat at the park, and ride the 16 miles back.

St. Augustine to Palatka trail. About 19 miles one way, with some pretty areas and while it parallels a road, it's not really near the road.

I'm sure there are other possibilities. I haven't looked for them. I've just cycled these trails when I have happened to be in the area. All three are fully paved. If you're interested, I could fill in more details about any of them, as I've done them all several times.
Old 02-06-23, 10:07 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Random11
I think the ride around Lake Okeechobee is largely unpaved, and is about 120 miles around. I've never been on it, but my cycling son has and that's what he reported. I don't know a lot of paved trails around Florida, but some I've ridden and enjoyed are:
yea you are correct there are some gaps in the pavement, but there is quite a bit that is paved based on where you are at. It has been a while since I have been down there, but I grew up in the West Palm area and would go over to the lake in the summer to go on camping and fishing trips with the boy scouts. Brutal heat and mosquitos did not make for a great time, but I still enjoyed the fishing.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-06-23 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 01:36 PM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
The Pinellas Trail is 34 miles, all paved, and runs through all of St.Petersburg all the way up to Tarpon Springs. I have not done it yet but I used to live near the west part of it when it was still a working railroad. The wife and I are planning on it this year hopefully.
Old 02-22-23, 03:35 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts

St. Augustine to Palatka trail. About 19 miles one way, with some pretty areas and while it parallels a road, it's not really near the road.
I like St. Augustine! I'll have to check that one out.
Old 02-22-23, 07:47 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I like St. Augustine! I'll have to check that one out.

There are still some quiet areas down in St John's county, especially out west near the farms and along SR 13 south along the River is really nice, dumps right on to FL 207 and you can pick up the MUP that will take you to Palakta.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-22-23 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-23-23, 08:49 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

We are thinking about doing the St. Augustine to Palatka trail this weekend!
Old 02-23-23, 10:56 AM
Random11

Originally Posted by Breadfan
We are thinking about doing the St. Augustine to Palatka trail this weekend!
Let us know how you liked it. I've always gone over the bridge that goes over the St. Johns river in Palatka and then stopped under the bridge for a snack and water break before heading back to St. Augustine. There's a walkway that goes under the bridge, so look for it. Once you're over the bridge, you are in downtown Palatka, and I understand that there is also a trail from Palatka to Gainesville, but I've never gone past the bridge. Other than that bridge, the whole route is completely flat.
Old 02-23-23, 05:10 PM
jaxgtr

Let us know how you liked it. I've always gone over the bridge that goes over the St. Johns river in Palatka and then stopped under the bridge for a snack and water break before heading back to St. Augustine. There's a walkway that goes under the bridge, so look for it. Once you're over the bridge, you are in downtown Palatka, and I understand that there is also a trail from Palatka to Gainesville, but I've never gone past the bridge. Other than that bridge, the whole route is completely flat.
That is the Palakta to Lake Butler and they are still working on it. This is what you are looking for ... https://www.floridastateparks.org/le...er-state-trail

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-24-23, 10:21 AM
Atlas95

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Mirage, 2022 Wabi Thunder

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I can recommend the Starkey Park, Pinellas, Upper Tampa Bay, Starkey Gap, and Suncoast Trails! So much shared path goodness out here.
Likes For Atlas95:
Old 02-25-23, 09:21 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Massive hot in the summer though, which in Florida, should be a known issue.
In other news, Florida's dry season is November to April.

The Pinellas Trail is 34 miles, all paved, and runs through all of St.Petersburg all the way up to Tarpon Springs
The Pinellas is the western end of the Coast to Coast. There are gaps with workarounds. Completion plans are underway.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-01-23, 02:37 AM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The St.Augustine to Palatka trail along 207 is where I live. I am across 207 a bit from where the trail starts on Vermont Blvd. I've watched this trail grow and improve in the 10+ years we have owned our home in the area. And this is one of the factors that got me back into riding in 2016 and again now (after medical setbacks) I love how they used the old highway part to make the pavilion and parking area for those who want to start there and there are benches along the way for rest stops. There is a fair amount that follows along the 207 route and crosses 207 twice, but there is flashing crosswalks to get you safely (hopefully) across 207, but it also goes off into farmland/woods that are fun. WATCH FOR SNAKES IN THE WARMER MONTHS! Won't be long until this trail is my playground. It is the closest and safest trail for recreational rides for me that don't require a car to get to.

There has been talk and plans to extend it into St. Augustine, but I'm not sure how they will do it and all the land that way keeps being sold and developed for more and more homes and business and bike lanes/trails are often an afterthought.
Old 03-01-23, 08:25 AM
Breadfan

We didn't get to do it, time constraints. Instead I did my normal Guana WMA gravel ride, which is a little over 20 miles up and back. For those of you who like to do a little light gravel, it is a great place to get away with zero cars. It's my go to for exercise and I've been doing it three times a week. A lot wildlife (deer, turkey, snakes, birds, hogs and gators) and beautiful scenery with two entrances. Just google "Guana WMA" and it will tell you all about it. The north entrance is on Roscoe Blvd, near where it goes under the 210 bridge in Ponte Vedra/Palm Valley. The south entrance is off of A1A between Ponte Vedra and St. Augustine at the Guana Dam, you go through Guana Reserve to get to it. you really need a gravel/mtb bike but I just put some 30mm knobbies on my Cannondale road bike and it works pretty well on the main road. Their are dozens of firebreaks and interior roads that require bigger tires. A great pace to get lost!

Last edited by Breadfan; 03-01-23 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-01-23, 08:34 AM
jaxgtr

We didn't get to do it, time constraints. Instead I did my normal Guana WMA gravel ride, which is a little over 20 miles up and back. For those of you who like to do a little light gravel, it is a great place to get away with zero cars. It's my go to for exercise and I've been doing it three times a week. A lot wildlife (deer, turkey, snakes, birds, hogs and gators) and beautiful scenery with two entrances. Just google "Guana WMA" and it will tell you all about it. The north entrance is on Roscoe Blvd, near where it goes under the 210 bridge in Ponte Vedra/Palm Valley. The south entrance is off of A1A between Ponte Vedra and St. Augustine at the Guana Dam, you go through Guana Reserve to get to it. you really need a gravel/mtb bike but I just put some 30mm knobbies on my Cannondale road bike and it works pretty well on the main road. Their are dozens of firebreaks and interior roads that require bigger tires. A great pace to get lost!

I keep wanting to ride down there, but I always forget about it as it is a fair bit south of me... Out of sight out of mind don't you know.

Edit: I think I was originally thinking of Matanzas

Last edited by jaxgtr; 03-01-23 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-01-23, 10:43 AM
Random11

I did my normal Guana WMA gravel ride, which is a little over 20 miles up and back. For those of you who like to do a little light gravel, it is a great place to get away with zero cars...
I've done this ride several times and I agree it's a great gravel ride. It's flat and easy if you stick on the main trail. I do it on my Diverge with 700x38 tires and it seems like the perfect ride for that bike. I have gone off the main trail a few times and it was tougher going due to soft sand. I only get over that way once or twice a year, but look forward to doing that ride when I'm in the area.
Likes For Random11:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.