Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Head badge says Allegro, frame details say no

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Head badge says Allegro, frame details say no

Old 11-28-22, 06:51 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by retyred
I bought this bike years ago with the intention to restore it. Never got around to it and finally decided to pass it on. Upon closer inspection it appears to have been rebadged (?)

This bike lacks two distinctive details that every Allegro of this time period should have: the small tag with serial number brazed to the seat tube and wrap around seat stays. The serial number and what I believe to be month and year of manufacture are stamped into BB shell.

Frame has been repainted and some components have been changed. (rear derailleur, fork, and stem) Campy hubs are 'No Record' with CAM 60 lock nuts. BB shell is 68mm. Stronglight 57 crankset. Mafac 'Dural Forge' brakes. Campy 25.0 shimmed seat post.

One more bit of info. Allegro head badge, when compared to those on my other Allegros has the exact same rivets used as fasteners.

Last bit of info: a genuine Allegro from 1961 would have a serial number beginning around 167... and consisting of six digits.

So what do I have here?

Nice bike.

Could you post a picture of the brake bridge? I'm interested in how it's attached to the seat stays. I have a hunch, just want to confirm.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 11-28-22, 07:43 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts

Per your request. Only picture currently available.
Old 11-30-22, 02:13 AM
MauriceMoss

Per your request. Only picture currently available.

Thanks, that's great, exactly what I was looking for.

That's not an Allegro bridge. That style of brake bridge was not common on Swiss bikes. Actually, it wasn't common pretty much anywhere except in Germany.

Here's a closeup of that style of attachment on a couple of frames built by Hugo Rickert:

I don't think this mystery frame was substantially modified (or at least not modified from an Allegro to something that doesn't look like an Allegro), apart from the badge and a repaint. I agree with repechage about the head badge being a bit askew.

While there aren't many examples online that could be referenced, I think what you have here is one of Rixe's top models, which were labeled in several different ways - "Type Andre Bertin," "Super" and "SR 60," possibly depending on the market.

Rixe was a German manufacturer of all sorts of frames, mostly not high end. They did however have top-of-the-line all-Nervex racers in th 60s that must have been made in relatively small numbers as there aren't many examples still around. The only Rixe catalog for the US market has the top model labeled 'SR 60'.

There's little reliable info on whether Rixe made these Nervex frames on premises or if they were contracted out. I've read in a couple of places that they supposedly did build on premises, but I could also see someone like Hugo Rickert contract-building for them.

Here is a 'Type Andre Bertin':

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 11-30-22, 02:23 AM
MauriceMoss

Here is a frame that was rebadged at some point with generic 'Sport' badge and decals. It popped up on rennrad-news.de a number of years ago but was never identified. The Olympic rings and 'Super de Luxe' decals are from Le Taureau frames (a label of a company from Stuttgart), most of which (during this period) were made by Hugo Rickert:

BTW, as far as I know, there hasn't been any connection between Bertin and Rixe, so 'Type Andre Bertin' was probably just a sales gimmick.
Also, early on the Andre Bertin decals were used on the top end models, but over the years they got applied to models lower and lower end of the Rixe range.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 11-30-22, 02:26 AM
MauriceMoss

Here's another one that wasn't clearly identified when posted online, but fits in the Super/SR 60 category:

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 11-30-22, 11:05 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Nostro Maurizio!

He just keeps hittin' the best pitches from the staff's ace clear out the stadium as though they were battin' practice!

Grazie Mille DCI Maurice.

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-30-22, 11:27 AM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Maurice Moss,
I stand before you drenched in utmost awe. . Absolutely brillant!

Last edited by retyred; 11-30-22 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Likes For retyred:
Old 11-30-22, 11:41 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
this was a fun read. suspenseful right to the end.
Old 11-30-22, 11:46 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,129 Posts
MauriceMoss, bicycle savant!

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 11-30-22, 12:15 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 780 Posts
OMG, another textbook study in "how to be a bicycle sleuth"!
We are humbled and impressed by @MauriceMoss, yet again!
Who would have thought to home in on a brake bridge? MM, that's who!
Old 11-30-22, 12:54 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
Thank you, MauriceMoss , because this one was driving me NUTS. The non-Fischer sand-cast BB and the pinned/peened/dimpled chainstay sockets, coupled with the serial number location and the serial number itself all pointed away from Allegro.

From what I gathered during my Allegro sleuthing phase was that they standardized on the seat tube lozenge before WWII - if the dates given for certain bikes are reasonably accurate. This one, for instance, allegedly has the lozenge.

If you're really bored, or have info you can add, I started assembling an Allegro database a while back ...
Old 03-07-23, 01:38 PM
danielcytryn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello there. I'm restoring an Allegro Super Luxe. Are there any decals already made by someone who restored on previously? I found plenty of decals for sale for the Special, but not Super Luxe. I apreciate a reply!!
Old 03-07-23, 01:53 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

BITD I was not finding any decals that matched my frame (NOT a Super Luxe model, AFAIK) from the "usual suspects" so I made my own digital files (vector) and had then JC Anderson (Velocals) print them.
He ceased taking on such "custom print jobs" some years after and now has completely shut down his operation.

I hear a lot of good reviews of Gus Salmon's work (although my experience with him went nowhere) so if he has made some previously you might luck out, or he might be willing to make some from scratch (but you'll need many very specific photos). He's based in Florida, AFAIK.

Best of Luck!
NOTE: I still have a few of the triangular "Swiss Cross" seat tube decals I had once offered free (for a stamp) to people who have a need for one. If that matches what you have on your Super Luxe LMK and I'll see if I can dig one up. (no guarantee of that!)
They look like this:

Last edited by unworthy1; 03-07-23 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-07-23, 02:04 PM
danielcytryn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
BITD I was not finding any decals that matched my frame (NOT a Super Luxe model, AFAIK) from the "usual suspects" so I made my own digital files (vector) and had then JC Anderson (Velocals) print them.
He ceased taking on such "custom print jobs" some years after and now has completely shut down his operation.

I hear a lot of good reviews of Gus Salmon's work (although my experience with him went nowhere) so if he has made some previously you might luck out, or he might be willing to make some from scratch (but you'll need many very specific photos). He's based in Florida, AFAIK.

Best of Luck!
Thank you so much for your response! I did get in touch with SSSink but the price is very high for a custom job. Probably between $500 and $1000. He also said that even if I supplied the vector files, price wouldn't go down that much... Trying hard to find someone who's done it before.
Old 03-07-23, 03:08 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 188 Posts
You may want to email Greg Softley at Cyclomondo

Originally Posted by danielcytryn
Thank you so much for your response! I did get in touch with SSSink but the price is very high for a custom job. Probably between $500 and $1000. He also said that even if I supplied the vector files, price wouldn't go down that much... Trying hard to find someone who's done it before.
Greg Doesn’t have any Super Luxe decals listed on his site but most of the other decals you need are there and he can probably fabricate the Super Luxe decals for a lot less than the quote you got from SSIInk. His direct email is at his website at www.Cyclomondo.net. Greg is very responsive to emails. He has helped me with decals for two Allegro restorations. He is in Australia, but the decals fit in a letter envelope so shipping is negligible and reliable. Here is a shot of my current Allegro restoration project with decals he provided me just a few weeks ago. Looking forward to seeing your Super Luxe restoration.

Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 03-07-23, 04:30 PM
danielcytryn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you
Sactown_Albert
I will definitely follow your advice. What a stunning Allegro you have! I love the paint job! Super unusual! I'm doing something really crazy for my bike: it will be all polished copper with white seat, tape and cables. Hope I don't get punished by the Allegro Gods...
Old 03-07-23, 04:31 PM
danielcytryn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! I would love to see pictures of your bike!!
Old 03-07-23, 04:33 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts

snip . . .

1) Bike is a 1961 Allegro Super Luxe.

snip . . .

6) Most importantly this rust magnet probably transported lots of beer and broads on Balboa Island.
Sounds like a fine retirement plan given the age of the Allegro . . .
Old 03-08-23, 11:59 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

BTW: I did a search for leftover decals and located a (partial) set of decals I had ordered from Greg Softley and never used,
happy to offer them to the OP (or another Allegro owner/restorer) at a knockdown price.
Don't get me wrong: I have great appreciation for Greg's products and service, but when these arrived they were not a good match to my originals so this is what prompted me to draw up the art for my custom-printed (Velocals) set.
White letterforms with black outline and gold drop-shadows and appears there is only one of the largest size but several of the next-smaller and smallest sizes.
There are 2 of the shield used for some forkblades, too.
I can take pix for an interested party: PM me.
Old 03-08-23, 12:35 PM
danielcytryn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I can not do PM yet, my use is restricted since I'm brand new. I need 10 posts to be deemed worthy (forgive the pun)! I would love to see a picture of your decals. Please keep in mind that my Allegro is a Super Luxe. Thanks!!!!!
Old 03-08-23, 11:28 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

danielcytryn I will take some pix tomorrow and post them here (for all to see). I was a bit confused cause I had mixed a few of the Velocals decals in with the set Greg Softley sold me, and the slight size difference was the main reason I rejected Greg's for the custom print run. For some reason I wanted an exact match, but looking again the letterforms were also not well-shaped enough for my tastes (which will be apparent in the pix).

What I have in this set (and for sale) are 4 large horiz. ALLEGRO, (none are "stacked"), one Swiss Cross triangle which had the top ALLEGRO cut off, 2 small horiz. ALLEGRO for chainstays and 2 small shields (coat of arms) for fork blades.

I also have one Horiz. ALLEGRO from my set, (currently not for sale but a triangle Swiss Cross can be had for cost of postage if somebody asks nicely) it's about 2mm taller and wider than the Softley version, 2 chainstay Horiz. ALLEGRO, also slightly taller and wider. plus 3 of my Swiss Cross triangles which are smaller than the Softley and include the ALLEGRO in same sans serif typeface as all other logotypes, along the top, as shown in post #38.
Old 03-09-23, 07:03 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Okay I realize this has gotten to be pretty much a hi-jacking so I will share one (typically lousy) pic of the decals (Greg Softley's plus some of my "custom prints") here but am going to make a "for sale" posting, in the proper place, for the full remaining set of Softley decals that I'd sell to any interested buyer for less than I paid Greg (back in 2007).
So first here's the pic for comparison:

top row are two of Greg's horiz logotype plus the "clipped" Swiss Cross triangle, below the triangle are two of Greg's horiz chainstay logotypes below Greg's are one each of my artwork Horiz for main tubes and chainstays, plus 3 of my triangles

Here's a link to the 'for sale' posting for the remainder set of Greg's decals:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ca-2007-a.html

Last edited by unworthy1; 03-09-23 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-10-23, 08:16 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
I'll take a moment here to throw out the Allegro database I have assembled after acquiring a c.1974 model 76 that appears to have started out as the "C" variant with a Stronglight P3 headset. Feel free to contact me if you want for me to add your bike to listings!
Old 03-10-23, 01:00 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mine is in that ^ "Book of Life", already. Hallelujah!
It's ID'd as a 1975, this is how it came to me from the redoubtable Craig Griffith back when he had a trove of framesets to sell (story was from a barn-find in the Midwest).

Old 03-11-23, 10:07 PM
danielcytryn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about delayed response. I'm waiting for some answers on decals, because my bike is a Super Luxe and the decals look totally different than the Special decals. If I can't find those, I will reach out for sure and get some of your decals instead. I really appreciate you sending me the pictures!