Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mix and match 9 speed Shimano/SRAM?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 05:42 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I know that the cassettes are interchangeable. Does this mean the shifters and RDs are as well? If the spacing on the cassette cogs are the same, logic would dictate that the pull ratios of the shifters are the same. True? Can I use a SRAM X-5 shifter with a Deore RD?
Old 03-18-23, 06:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
No. Different cable pulls, shifter and derailleur in combo.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-18-23, 07:14 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
+1 ^^^. Won't work. Here's a chart listing "pull ratio" for each and they are different. Bicycle Cassettes & Drivetrains - Google Sheets Also, scroll to the very bottom of the page and click the "compatibility" box for shifter pull ratio although in this case just knowing the derailleur data is all you need.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 03-18-23 at 07:18 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-18-23, 07:56 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
9-speed SRAM rear shifters with a number designation (X9, X0, etc.) work with SRAM RDs while SRAM rear shifters with alphabet/word designation (Attack, Centera, etc.) work with Shimano RDs.
Old 03-18-23, 09:26 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
I wonder how often on car forums people ask if they can replace their Subaru transmission with a GM one. Its odd how often people assume universal compatibility, yet seem aware that it isn't true of computers, phones, appliances, etc.

No disrespect intended to the OP.
Old 03-18-23, 12:13 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Originally Posted by Kontact
I wonder how often on car forums people ask if they can replace their Subaru transmission with a GM one. Its odd how often people assume universal compatibility, yet seem aware that it isn't true of computers, phones, appliances, etc.

I don't typically have a Subaru transmission hanging around the shop. But, I do have SRAM shifters kicking around and a bike with a Shimano RD that needs new shifters.
Old 03-18-23, 12:15 PM
hhk25

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
+1 ^^^. Won't work. Here's a chart listing "pull ratio" for each and they are different. Bicycle Cassettes & Drivetrains - Google Sheets Also, scroll to the very bottom of the page and click the "compatibility" box for shifter pull ratio although in this case just knowing the derailleur data is all you need.
Wow, who put that together? That's a valuable resource.
Old 03-18-23, 12:18 PM
Crankycrank

Originally Posted by hhk25
Wow, who put that together? That's a valuable resource.
Yes it's a great resource. I think I've posted it about 4 times this week alone. I have come across an error or two so double check the data.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-18-23, 02:05 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
One love

Friction shifters rule!!
Likes For brixxton:
Old 03-18-23, 03:11 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
My mountain bike has SRAM X-9 9 speed shifters, a SRAM X-7 rear derailleur and a Shimano front derailleur. It came equipped that way from the factory
Old 03-18-23, 04:44 PM
hhk25

Originally Posted by brixxton
Friction shifters rule!!
On my gravel bike, I installed Gevenalle shifters. Friction for the front. Indexed rear. Works great.
Old 03-19-23, 11:22 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Yes it's a great resource. I think I've posted it about 4 times this week alone. I have come across an error or two so double check the data.
Helped me a few days ago.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-20-23, 12:06 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Just to be a prick. You can get adapters to mount a GM trans to a subaru engine. Drag racing people do all kinds of weird things.

Shiftmate Compatibility Charts and Choices - Jtek Engineering
I believe shiftmate 6 is what you are looking for? Is it worth the hassle and cost though when you can probably just ask for an old 9 speed shimano RD on facebook for free. I know I have a couple shimano and sram ones in my crap pile.
Old 03-20-23, 05:50 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I wonder how often on car forums people ask if they can replace their Subaru transmission with a GM one.
https://www.google.com/search?q=foru...&ie=UTF-8there is

a whole industry to do things like that
​​​​​​https://www.advanceadapters.com/engine-to-transmission-adapters-bellhousings-2?orderby=0&pagesize=12&viewmode=grid&pagenumber=2

https://subarugears.com/product-category/adaptor/​​​​​​

Last edited by dedhed; 03-20-23 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-20-23, 06:52 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts

Shimano and SRAM in the past have been mixed from the factory in the past by many manufactures, so valid question; totally different from car manufactures who want to keep their parts in their own ecosystem, and even then, many car parts from different brands can be mix and matched if you know the MPN/SKU of the OEM part
Old 03-20-23, 07:03 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by jimc101
Shimano and SRAM in the past have been mixed from the factory in the past by many manufactures, so valid question; totally different from car manufactures who want to keep their parts in their own ecosystem, and even then, many car parts from different brands can be mix and matched if you know the MPN/SKU of the OEM part
Yes, I should have thought better than to use any analogy. People who have been into biking for awhile of course know that SRAM started as a company that made shifters for Shimano. I just don't think that people asking about the kind of swap in the OP are aware of that history. Or know about bolting Chevy engines in Landcruiser FJ40s.

And I wasn't so much being critical of the OPs assumption, but just the way seemingly everyone is surprised/frustrated that all the parts on a bike aren't mix and match. Why do we expect BBs and cranks to be universal? Maybe we got lucky for awhile there when near everything was English 68mm for 2-3 years in the '90s. Now we're back to the equivalent of English, French, Swiss and Italian with five different spindle tapers.

Just grumbling. Not important.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-20-23, 07:56 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Yes, I should have thought better than to use any analogy. People who have been into biking for awhile of course know that SRAM started as a company that made shifters for Shimano
? Pretty sure they have never made anything for each other, SRAM started out as/with Gripshift as their only product line, and then acquired Sachs, which gave them full groupsets, and where many of the names in current use came from for the road groupsets.

For many years there was 100% compatibility between SRAM and Shimano, but after Shimano when 10 speed with MTB (SRAM wasn't so big into road at that time) the compatibility split, with only cassettes (speed, not the fitting) now being the only real part in a groupset that is 100% interchangeable between SRAM and Shimano.
Old 03-20-23, 08:05 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
? Pretty sure they have never made anything for each other, SRAM started out as/with Gripshift as their only product line, and then acquired Sachs, which gave them full groupsets, and where many of the names in current use came from for the road groupsets.

For many years there was 100% compatibility between SRAM and Shimano, but after Shimano when 10 speed with MTB (SRAM wasn't so big into road at that time) the compatibility split, with only cassettes (speed, not the fitting) now being the only real part in a groupset that is 100% interchangeable between SRAM and Shimano.
Pretty sure you're right.

In 1990, the company sued Shimano for unfair business practices, noting that Shimano offered, in effect, a 10-percent discount to bicycle manufacturers specifying an all-Shimano drivetrain and that few companies in the highly competitive industry would be willing to forgo such a discount to specify Grip Shift components.
Old 03-20-23, 08:32 AM
Kontact 

"For Shimano" meaning "For use with Shimano index systems".
Old 03-20-23, 08:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts

There have been some compatibility between SRAM and Shimano, especially on the low end components. Some grip shift and some of SRAM’s trigger shifters were made to work with Shimano and will still work with Shimano’s lower end lines. But SRAM was making shifters…both paddle and grip…that worked solely with SRAM derailers for a long time before Shimano 10 speed came along. SRAM introduced their ESP derailers and ESP grip shifters in 1995. They started making Grip Shift for road bike in 1988 and adapted them mountain bikes in 1991. Shimano screwed up their mountain bike components in 2006.

SRAM didn’t acquire Sachs until 1997. That acquisition may have given them some drivetrain components but they were making their own derailers at that point.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 03-20-23 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-20-23, 09:32 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Wow, that's truly an amazing resource! Thanks for posting the link.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 03-20-23, 12:21 PM
Crankycrank

Originally Posted by MudPie
Wow, that's truly an amazing resource! Thanks for posting the link.
I believe a BF member created that awhile back but unfortunately, I don't remember who it was to give credit to but has saved myself and others hours of time trying to find this info.
Old 03-24-23, 12:52 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Helped me a few days ago.
And again today to verify compatibility of Shimano 8/9/10 Road levers w/ 8 and 9 speed Microshift MTB RDs. I "assumed" they were compatible, since I've matched 9 and 10 Shimano road levers with 8 and 9 speed MTB RDs.... and Microshift was supposed to be compatible with Shimano (for the most part, not always). The cable pull and compatibility charts in the spreadsheet that Crankycrank has posted gave me reassurance.

Synopis: Microshift 8,9 and 10 road shifters have the same cable pull as the corresponding Shimano 8, 9 and 10 speed road shifters (2.8, 2.5 and 2.3 respectively). The Shimano 8,9 and 10 speed shifters are all compatible with Shimano MTB RDs with 1.7 cable pull which are 8 and 9 speed MTB RDs. The 8 and 9 speed Microshift MTB RDs have that 1.7 cable pull.

Of course I could have just used Shimano RDs, but I really want to try Microshift stuff and found some good prices on the MTB RDs.

Again, I "assumed" this was the case, but thanks to Crankycrank for giving me a resource to confirm!
Likes For Camilo: