Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I bought an 1 1/8" Crust Clydesdale fork, but don't have a frame

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-27-23, 12:24 AM
johnexcept

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got a good deal on it, and have always wanted a little lite truck style cargo bike. However, I didn't expect the easter egg hunt that would accompany the purchase in trying to find a compatible frame.

It seems like the broad swath of vintage hardtail mountain bike frames came with 1" steerers. In my amateur research digging up old catalogs, it appears that by the time -- say, Specialized -- started using 1 1/8" steerers they were also using suspension forks. Regarding that, I have a hard time parsing this part of the Crust product page:

For those of you looking to throw one on your early 2000's Big Hit:

Ok, so what if your axle-crown measurement is far off from 400mm? Then your head tube angle, seat tube angle, and bottom bracket height are going to change. Generally, frame angles will all change by about 1 degree per 10mm of axle-crown length difference, and your bottom bracket height will change by about 5mm per 10mm axle to crown. If your original fork is longer than 400mm, then the resulting angles with The Cargo Fork installed will be steeper and the bottom bracket will be lower. If your original fork is shorter than 400mm, then the resultant angles with The Cargo Fork installed will be slacker and the bottom bracket will be higher.
Can anyone help me wrap my head around what I should be looking for? It feels as though buying the 1 1/8" size fork severely limited my options for hardtail MTB conversion candidates. Should I be avoiding vintage suspension MTBs in the first place, or is not that big of a deal? I find bike geometry difficult to understand, haha.
Old 03-27-23, 06:53 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
I bought a high end mountain bike in 1995 and put a rigid fork on it (1 1/8"). It is a little quick handling, but not in a bad way because my fork is probably shorter than the suspension fork it was designed to accept.

Trek, Giant, Diamond Back and many, many others made mid-to-high end rigid fork MTBs with 1 1/8" steerers from at least 1992 on. Boulder, ATX 770, Trek 930, DB Ascent, etc. They are out there. 1" kept going for a big with lower models for longer - Trek 830, Giant Iguana, etc.
Old 03-27-23, 07:42 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The 1-1/8 age started in the early 90s. Far more bikes from then and forward came with 1-1/8 than 1". There was a span of time (c. 1991 - 1995) where 1-1/8" threaded steerers were the norm. Up until the late 90s, many bikes were available with either suspension or rigid fork, and the suspension forks were all short travel so generally speaking, a rigid fork wouldn't be a terrible fit.

Note the comment from the vendor you posted specifically referenced a long-travel freeride or DH bike (a 'Big Hit') not a run-of-the-mill hardtail with a 50 or 75mm travel fork.
Old 03-27-23, 08:05 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I had a 1992 Trek 7000, a bonded aluminum frame hardtail with a 1-1/8" threaded fork. A similar frame with a change of headset should be compatible with your fork. I hope the original owner didn't cut the steerer too short for you.
BTW, what you did seems similar to renting a Tuxedo and then looking for a woman to marry.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-27-23, 05:38 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
BTW, what you did seems similar to renting a Tuxedo and then looking for a woman to marry.
When I read that I burst out laughing. Great line
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-27-23, 10:30 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
1 1/8" MTB frames should be super easy to find, it doesn't matter if they were threaded or threadless when new if replacing the fork.

1" had a short life time for MTB frames (as long as you not looking at BSO or entry level bikes), although far longer than 1 1/8" threaded, which was last seen in 1995, 1994 was the last year for all but a few holdouts, look at you Marin, almost anything older than 1993 should be 1 1/8", a few exceptions from experience are Bontrager and Univega (Steel, not Alu), sure there will be a few more, but these are not the norm.
Old 03-28-23, 12:19 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
400mm axle-crown seems pretty typical of a suspension-corrected rigid fork, no? You might be off by a few mm but that won't affect the head angle too much. Plenty of 1 1/8" frames around on the used market - I would say the majority.
Old 03-28-23, 06:19 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
400mm axle-crown seems pretty typical of a suspension-corrected rigid fork, no? You might be off by a few mm but that won't affect the head angle too much. Plenty of 1 1/8" frames around on the used market - I would say the majority.
The axle-crown measurement on the Soma suspension corrected fork for 26 inch MTB's with 80 mm suspension fork travel is 440 mm. If I understand correctly, the 40 mm difference in axle-crown distance will steepen headtube angle by 4 degrees according to Crust. That's significant. Steepening the head tube angle will quicken the steering. I'm not sure you'd want that when you plan to carry significant weight on the fork mounted rack.

https://www.modernbike.com/soma-curv...-1-1-8---black
Old 03-28-23, 10:06 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Good info. Happy to stand corrected.
Old 03-28-23, 10:40 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
The axle-crown measurement on the Soma suspension corrected fork for 26 inch MTB's with 80 mm suspension fork travel is 440 mm. If I understand correctly, the 40 mm difference in axle-crown distance will steepen headtube angle by 4 degrees according to Crust. That's significant. Steepening the head tube angle will quicken the steering. I'm not sure you'd want that when you plan to carry significant weight on the fork mounted rack.

https://www.modernbike.com/soma-curv...-1-1-8---black
That 440mm A-C measurement probably shrinks to 400mm with the rider on the bike as 50% static compression is typical. So a rigid fork with a 400mm A-C should be correct.
Old 03-28-23, 12:38 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
That 440mm A-C measurement probably shrinks to 400mm with the rider on the bike as 50% static compression is typical. So a rigid fork with a 400mm A-C should be correct.
The Soma fork I referenced is rigid. It does not collapse to 400mm. It is designed to replace a suspension fork with 80 mm of travel and not alter the bike's front end geometry. Are you saying Soma is wrong? Help me to understand.
Old 03-28-23, 12:38 PM
johnexcept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimc101
1 1/8" MTB frames should be super easy to find, it doesn't matter if they were threaded or threadless when new if replacing the fork.

1" had a short life time for MTB frames (as long as you not looking at BSO or entry level bikes), although far longer than 1 1/8" threaded, which was last seen in 1995, 1994 was the last year for all but a few holdouts, look at you Marin, almost anything older than 1993 should be 1 1/8", a few exceptions from experience are Bontrager and Univega (Steel, not Alu), sure there will be a few more, but these are not the norm.
Okay, this broadly confirms what I had suspected. Now, here's the question: As I search for a project bike (or just a frame), is there an easy way to tell at-a-glance if the bike has that 1 1/8" headtube compatibility? Current, I'll check the pic and see if it has a quill stem or not. If not, move on. Is that ill-advised? Am I missing something?

(Side gripe: What is *with* bike sellers on CL/Facebook and not noting *any* kind of size info? It's absurd to me how often I'll have to ask for a seat tube measurement.)

Last edited by johnexcept; 03-28-23 at 12:40 PM. Reason: clarity, spelling
Old 03-28-23, 01:05 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by johnexcept
Okay, this broadly confirms what I had suspected. Now, here's the question: As I search for a project bike (or just a frame), is there an easy way to tell at-a-glance if the bike has that 1 1/8" headtube compatibility? Current, I'll check the pic and see if it has a quill stem or not. If not, move on. Is that ill-advised? Am I missing something?

(Side gripe: What is *with* bike sellers on CL/Facebook and not noting *any* kind of size info? It's absurd to me how often I'll have to ask for a seat tube measurement.)
Tons of 1 1/8" bikes had quill stems. That's what people are referring to as "threaded". Threaded steerers and headsets with quill stems.

So youve been missing a bunch of candidates.
Old 03-28-23, 04:11 PM
johnexcept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kontact
Tons of 1 1/8" bikes had quill stems. That's what people are referring to as "threaded". Threaded steerers and headsets with quill stems.

So youve been missing a bunch of candidates.
Bummer! But this new knowledge just means I'll have an easier time finding a nice base bike for my project.

Is there a go-to way to determine the difference in headtubes? Asking sellers to "let me know the steerer size" just causes confusion. Should I just be meeting and measuring myself?

Better question: What's the OD of quill stems that went in these 90s 1 1/8" quills?

Thanks for your help on this, sincerely.
Old 03-28-23, 04:25 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
What? Most folks try to get their sag in the 20-30% range, IME.
Old 03-28-23, 06:54 PM
Kontact

Bummer! But this new knowledge just means I'll have an easier time finding a nice base bike for my project.

Is there a go-to way to determine the difference in headtubes? Asking sellers to "let me know the steerer size" just causes confusion. Should I just be meeting and measuring myself?

Better question: What's the OD of quill stems that went in these 90s 1 1/8" quills?

Thanks for your help on this, sincerely.
I think you can kind of tell by looking, and then use catalog websites to confirm. Or ask here. But the oversized head tubes were proudly listed in catalogs at the time.

Look at pictures of both kinds and get a feel for the fatness of the quill and the headset.
Old 03-30-23, 01:48 PM
johnexcept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you can kind of tell by looking, and then use catalog websites to confirm. Or ask here. But the oversized head tubes were proudly listed in catalogs at the time.

Look at pictures of both kinds and get a feel for the fatness of the quill and the headset.
So I found a 1991 (maybe 92) M2 Stumpy in museum piece quality -- purple! -- and I'm stoked to grab it, but it's a bit of a schlep to travel for it.

AFAIK, all of the suspension fork models are 1 1/8" without fail. Safe to say the same goes for the rigid fork M2? I'd post the link but I can't yet due to my forum post count. It's on page 4 of the 1991 Specialized catalogue on Retrobike. Looks just like it, too, like it hung in a storage unit for 30 years.
Likes For johnexcept:
Old 03-30-23, 05:33 PM
Kontact

So I found a 1991 (maybe 92) M2 Stumpy in museum piece quality -- purple! -- and I'm stoked to grab it, but it's a bit of a schlep to travel for it.

AFAIK, all of the suspension fork models are 1 1/8" without fail. Safe to say the same goes for the rigid fork M2? I'd post the link but I can't yet due to my forum post count. It's on page 4 of the 1991 Specialized catalogue on Retrobike. Looks just like it, too, like it hung in a storage unit for 30 years.
I would say that is not 1 1/8". Specialized was one of the hold outs. By the '95 catalog it says "1 1/8" Aheadset", but not before.
Old 03-30-23, 05:38 PM
johnexcept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would say that is not 1 1/8". Specialized was one of the hold outs. By the '95 catalog it says "1 1/8" Aheadset", but not before.
Got it in one -- unfortunately. The seller measured for me and the stem is 22.2. Hard to let this one go, but I can only handle one bike project at a time.
Old 03-30-23, 08:45 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 111 Posts
Hi,
Do you have a bike co-op or similar near you? These folks can be very helpful in suggesting a frame for you at a reasonable price. Personally, I’d go with a mid level frame from a reputable company. Just make sure it fits you before the modification. If they will answer your questions, Craig’s List sellers are OK, but I’d stay away from ebay or Facebook.
Cheers & good luck,
Van
Old 03-31-23, 06:09 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 329 Posts
johnexcept - where are you located and what size frame are you looking for? I have a couple 90s mtb frames that may fit the bill, located in New England. Others may also be able to help source something with this info.
Old 03-31-23, 04:32 PM
johnexcept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, here's a fun twist to the story. The seller hit the stem with calipers, measures 7/8". Bummer, right? Well, on a lark I ask him to measure the headtube OD and it's 1 1/2". What do you reckon the odds are that the bike has a 38mm headtube OD, 34mm ID, but a 1" headset (somehow)?
Old 03-31-23, 04:32 PM
johnexcept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bboy314
johnexcept - where are you located and what size frame are you looking for? I have a couple 90s mtb frames that may fit the bill, located in New England. Others may also be able to help source something with this info.
Very kind of you, but I'm on the wrong coast! If this minor obsession with an M2 Stumpy for sale goes south, I'll be going the route of finding a passable frame at a LBS.
Old 03-31-23, 06:21 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 111 Posts
Very kind of you, but I'm on the wrong coast! If this minor obsession with an M2 Stumpy for sale goes south, I'll be going the route of finding a passable frame at a LBS.
Hi,
How about a little more info on your location? There are co-ops, bike kitchens or coalitions all over the west even in some small towns. Portland, OR has 1/2 dozen.
Cheers,
Van
Old 03-31-23, 07:55 PM
Kontact

Okay, here's a fun twist to the story. The seller hit the stem with calipers, measures 7/8". Bummer, right? Well, on a lark I ask him to measure the headtube OD and it's 1 1/2". What do you reckon the odds are that the bike has a 38mm headtube OD, 34mm ID, but a 1" headset (somehow)?
More likely the headtube walls are really thick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.