Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Bike choices in Jungle Route

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 08:39 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts

Just did the stage 4 ride of Tour of Watopia which is the jungle route that I normally avoid like the plague cause I hate that route. Once again, I chose a gravel bike figuring it would be the best option for riding over hard packed gravel paths and wooden bridges but I'm a slow learner and realized it was the wrong choice. I could see how the mtn. bike would be advantage going up hills cause Zwift could simulate 21 speeds instead of 12 but I should be faster on the flats and descents.

Why does Zwift bother offering a gravel bike when it's clearly the wrong choice riding off of the road? Based on gravel riding popularity these days you would think they would have many choices to choose from and it would be the next go to bike after choosing road.
Old 03-28-23, 08:45 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Zwift offers all the bikes because all the bikes (for the most part) actually exist or have some benefit on a particular part of the map.

The mountain bike is indeed faster in the jungle section.

Maybe you hadn't noticed the broken pavement around the volcano?

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 03-28-23, 10:23 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
The equipment variety is for fun, not necessarily for optimization. To me, Zwift and Golf share one commonality - when I stopped keeping score, it became more fun. There's no reason that I would have a Pinarello and a Moots and a Canyon and whatever else I've got in that "too damned hard to access" garage.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 03-29-23, 07:38 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Just did the stage 4 ride of Tour of Watopia which is the jungle route that I normally avoid like the plague cause I hate that route. Once again, I chose a gravel bike figuring it would be the best option for riding over hard packed gravel paths and wooden bridges but I'm a slow learner and realized it was the wrong choice. I could see how the mtn. bike would be advantage going up hills cause Zwift could simulate 21 speeds instead of 12 but I should be faster on the flats and descents.

Why does Zwift bother offering a gravel bike when it's clearly the wrong choice riding off of the road? Based on gravel riding popularity these days you would think they would have many choices to choose from and it would be the next go to bike after choosing road.
Welcome to the club. Like you, I typically avoid the jungle simply because I don't care for it. However, a while back, I decided to try an experiment. I purchased a gravel bike thinking it would be great for the jungle. I quickly discovered that it was only marginally better than my road bike. I then tried the Zwift mountain bike and found that there was a definite difference in speed. It does seem odd that the gravel bike is so slow. My initial feeling is that it should be at least exactly in the middle of the three or a bit more biased toward the mountain bike. I'm not sure of Zwift's intentions but it seems that since a gravel bike is based on a road bike, they have given the gravel bikes more of the road bike's traits within the game. Who knows? Zwift does some odd things sometimes and we just have to adapt. So now, if I ever do a ride that involves the jungle loop, I stop and switch over to the mountain bike out by the windmill then switch back as I'm leaving the dirt. The exception to this is when I'm just heading straight to the Alpe.

On a side note, from your description, it appears that you did the Tour of Watopia stage on your own. If you had joined one of the scheduled event runs, they automatically switch you from your road bike to the mountain bike, on the fly, as you hit the dirt and then switch back as you exit. It makes things much easier.
Likes For TennBent:
Old 03-29-23, 08:04 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 728 Posts
Keyboard shortcut to garage: T
Old 03-29-23, 03:30 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Originally Posted by TennBent

On a side note, from your description, it appears that you did the Tour of Watopia stage on your own. If you had joined one of the scheduled event runs, they automatically switch you from your road bike to the mountain bike, on the fly, as you hit the dirt and then switch back as you exit. It makes things much easier.
It was in a group ride so that's interesting you say that. Some conspiracy by Zwift to keep me from winning? ha ha no chance of that ever happening anyway. Normally I'm not much of a bike switcher and don't really care if I ride a bit of gravel on my Pinarello Dogma F8 but you really feel it doing the jungle route so I changed my bike before I started the ride. I always switch to first person POV when doing group rides so can't say I actually saw the bike I was riding but will see if I have any pic's on my Strava post. If I was on a mountain bike then it was just the usual struggles when I ride and can't blame it on the bike at all
Old 03-31-23, 03:13 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson

When I did ToW stage 4 it automatically switched my road bike to a mountain bike for the relevant sectors. Did this not happen for you?
Old 03-31-23, 07:19 AM
gthomson

Originally Posted by PeteHski
When I did ToW stage 4 it automatically switched my road bike to a mountain bike for the relevant sectors. Did this not happen for you?
Being a sucker for punishment, I did it a second time last night but chose the standard stage which was longer and included the KOM. That really hurt but did confirm that it automatically switched me to the mountain bike. No excuses now, I'm just slow.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 03-31-23, 11:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I thought the gravel bike was marginally faster. But it could just be cognitive bias
Old 03-31-23, 04:20 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I thought the gravel bike was marginally faster. But it could just be cognitive bias
I’m surprised you can tell any difference. Or did you do controlled constant power runs over the same segment with various bikes and no drafting?
Old 04-01-23, 09:14 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Zwift offers all the bikes because all the bikes (for the most part) actually exist or have some benefit on a particular part of the map.

The mountain bike is indeed faster in the jungle section.

Maybe you hadn't noticed the broken pavement around the volcano?
A useful website for those unfamiliar with its existence
https://zwifterbikes.web.app/
Old 04-01-23, 09:34 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
A useful website for those unfamiliar with its existence
https://zwifterbikes.web.app/
Hey! That's cool.
Thanks!

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 04-01-23, 11:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I’m surprised you can tell any difference. Or did you do controlled constant power runs over the same segment with various bikes and no drafting?
You don't know me very well if you think I might have done controlled experiments. But I felt less bogged down on the gravel bike. The Crr numbers for various wheels is pretty interesting. https://zwiftinsider.com/crr/

What's interesting about that article is that you are almost always better off on a road bike.