Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I HATE when cyclists stop cars with a green light

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: If a car has a green light should you cross in front of them, even if waved to go?
No
72.41%
Yes
27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

I HATE when cyclists stop cars with a green light

Old 05-25-23, 04:23 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Easy as 1,2,3!

1. Look both ways before crossing the street, even a one way street.

2. If you can't see, you can't go.

3. If you're NOT SURE, you can't go.

You don't even have to look at the pretty lights at all if you follow the 1,2,3 rules! Unless it looks like the traffic light pole might FALL on you there is no danger from that direction. It's the other road users that'll kill ya. Who had the right of way is your heirs problem if you mess up.
Spot on!
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-25-23, 04:26 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by rc5781
You hate me because I don't wear a helmet, buy cheaper bikes, do as little maintenance as possible, buy my tools and lights from China, buy my tires from Walmart. If I was in the industry, .
Don't sell yourself short, it's much more than that.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-25-23, 06:24 PM
rc5781

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Easy as 1,2,3!

1. Look both ways before crossing the street, even a one way street.

2. If you can't see, you can't go.

3. If you're NOT SURE, you can't go.

You don't even have to look at the pretty lights at all if you follow the 1,2,3 rules! Unless it looks like the traffic light pole might FALL on you there is no danger from that direction. It's the other road users that'll kill ya. Who had the right of way is your heirs problem if you mess up.
This is my style...
Old 05-25-23, 06:32 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
No.

I only cross when it is my legal right, at least when vehicles are around. At 2 am or on a desolate country road, I will roll a stop sign.

Will I walk in front of a car that has a green light? No way. Not in a million years.
Old 05-25-23, 06:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,585 Posts
If someone is gaslighting you, interact with them as little as possible...
You keep using that word I don't think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-25-23, 10:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
If someone is gaslighting you, interact with them as little as possible...

Who is gaslighting you and how?

Merriam Webster
Gaslighting-- psychological manipulation of a person usually over an extended period of time that causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, uncertainty of one's emotional or mental stability, and a dependency on the perpetrator.

Please tell us what anyone is doing to psychologically manipulate you.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-25-23, 11:02 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Wow, I'm a glutton for punishment. 7 pages of this nonsense - and I read it all??

OP, you've done another bang-up job of alienating literally everyone, even those who agree with you. I've made it a personal rule that I don't accept courtesy from drivers, regardless. This means in the circumstances you've described I will shake my head no, look away, sometimes even turn around, if I have to - all to ensure that I'm not ever in the circumstance of pulling out in front of someone who has the right-of-way. This is my personal choice, and trying to force it on anyone else (other than my kids, with whom I sometimes ride) would be pointless and stupid. No one is gaslighting you and no one here wants to argue anywhere near as much as you clearly do. Stop being such an absolute walnut.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 05-26-23, 02:51 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
This place...
Old 05-26-23, 04:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Maybe not. The whole point of this thread is...if you answer "yes" to the poll question, you are making this dangerous scenario to more likely occur in the future.
BTW, that's categorically, objectively not true. My answer to your poll question has anything to do with your dangerous scenario. The poll question doesn't even ask about the dangerous scenario.
Old 05-26-23, 07:15 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
This "car stopped with a green light" thing happened to me in a slightly different way the other day, and it really pissed me off.

I'm in the left lane signalling a left turn with arm extended in sort of a busy section of road waiting on oncoming traffic to clear. I'm hoping I can do so quickly so car traffic behind me doesn't catch up and put more pressure on me. There are only two cars in oncoming traffic one behind the other, and the lead car ******* stops at his green light. Had they both just proceeded normally, I could have gone safely behind them. Instead, I have to make a quick decision, follow his cue, turn left, and almost get run over by an unseen electric unicycle traveling fast on the sidewalk, behind me to my left. He broke hard and we missed each other, thankfully.

tldr: I wish cars would just follow the rules of the road and avoid doing me any ******* favors.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 05-26-23 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-26-23, 09:33 AM
rc5781

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
This "car stopped with a green light" thing happened to me in a slightly different way the other day, and it really pissed me off.

I'm in the left lane signalling a left turn with arm extended in sort of a busy section of road waiting on oncoming traffic to clear. I'm hoping I can do so quickly so car traffic behind me doesn't catch up and put more pressure on me. There are only two cars in oncoming traffic one behind the other, and the lead car ******* stops with at his green light. Had they both just proceeded normally, I could have gone safely behind them. Instead, I have to make a quick decision, follow his cue, turn left, and almost get run over by an unseen electric unicycle traveling fast on the sidewalk, behind me to my left. He broke hard and we missed each other, thankfully.

tldr: I wish cars would just follow the rules of the road and avoid doing me any ******* favors.
Don't know everything that was going on in your scenario, but a possible option in the future could be to go behind the car that's waving you on or both cars that have stopped and then make the left. Of course assuming there are no other cars coming.

I often do this for cars with a red light, turning right onto the street I'm traveling on, in the direction I'm travelling. Make sure the car attempting a right is at a complete stop. Make sure any car behind them is at or almost at a complete stop. Go behind the first car and keep going straight. It just keeps things flowing. The first car doesn't have to wait for me to pass in front of them and I don't have to worry about that car not seeing me and hitting me.
Old 05-26-23, 10:22 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
a possible option in the future could be to go behind the car that's waving you on.
Yeah, I do that at small intersections. This one was rather big.
Old 05-26-23, 10:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Don't know everything that was going on in your scenario, but a possible option in the future could be to go behind the car that's waving you on or both cars that have stopped and then make the left. Of course assuming there are no other cars coming.
And he'd still almost get hit by the unicycle because all he did was obscure his view of traffic coming from his left with the cars he just went behind.

I don't think anyone is looking for your advice on how to handle situations you aren't present at.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-26-23, 10:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Yeah, I do that at small intersections. This one was rather big.

I find that these situations are usually only dilemmas where there are multiple lanes of traffic and sidewalks.
Old 05-26-23, 10:32 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26254 Post(s)
Liked 10,234 Times in 7,103 Posts
This place...
...is lit by gaslight and personal illumination.
Old 05-26-23, 10:42 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 274 Posts
I come to a complete stop at all stop signs and lights. When a vehicle with the right of way inappropriately stops to let me 'go' at an intersection, I wave them on and wait them out. God only knows how many times I would have been hit when a vehicle blew by the stopped vehicle on the left, or coming the opposite direction.
Old 05-26-23, 01:12 PM
rc5781

I was at the same intersection again today. A clueless road biker accelerated into the crosswalk, but this time the cars didn't stop. Dude almost got hit and stranded himself in the middle of the road.
Old 05-26-23, 01:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I was at the same intersection again today. A clueless road biker accelerated into the crosswalk, but this time the cars didn't stop. Dude almost got hit and stranded himself in the middle of the road.

And?

Yeah, he shouldn't've oughta not done that Bad, clueless bike rider, bad!

What's it got to do with the readers of this thread? Literally no one has suggested that's a good idea.
Old 05-26-23, 01:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5705 Post(s)
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,346 Posts
Enough already!!!!
It is IMPOSSIBLE to have an intelligent discussing on this thread which you started. You keep changing the question after we answer.

Waa-a-a-a-a-y back (post #13, see below) I posited two scenarios, one like this, and one about accepting an invite from an overly cautious driver. You specifically said it was about the second, and posited all sorts of other car scenarios.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I'm not sure I understand the OP.

If he's talking about riding through intersections without right of way and forcing cars to stop to avoid collision, it's not only inconsiderate, it's also stupid and dangerous.

OTOH - if the OP taking about about situations where drivers are simply trying to be courteous then I don't consider this an issue at all. If you don't create a situation where the driver feels he must yield, then (other considerations permitting) why not accept it as an act of good will. .......
Now you're posting about something that's back to the first scenario which we all agree is dumb and has NOTHING to do with your BS about if drivers yield right of way when they have the light.

What next? some cyclist racing across a 8 lane freeway and causing a 50 car chain reaction collision?

You're big of "rules" so how about two here. When you start a thread on a point, stay on point and stop trolling your own thread.
Also, if you ask opinions, accept those offered rather than arguing pointless.

BTW- I'm sure you're aware that you've made no friends on this thread. I'm sure that people have formed their own opinions, and so have I. Your attitude seems more in line with that of a driver who was once cut off by an obnoxious cyclist and is now here to troll.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-26-23 at 01:34 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-26-23, 01:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked 7,833 Times in 3,713 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "accelerated into the crosswalk". What kind of intersection is this?
Old 05-26-23, 01:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm not sure what you mean by "accelerated into the crosswalk". What kind of intersection is this?

It's a point where a bike path crosses a road. The path becomes a crosswalk and there's a traffic light.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-26-23, 01:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's a point where a bike path crosses a road. The path becomes a crosswalk and there's a traffic light.
Ahh. Okay. Some people make bad choices.
Old 05-26-23, 01:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Eric F
Ahh. Okay. Some people make bad choices.

Shocking, right?
Old 05-26-23, 01:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Shocking, right?
The older I get, the less shocked I am by people doing stupid things.
Old 05-26-23, 01:58 PM
rc5781

If you voted "yes" in the poll, you're encouraging this kind of behavior.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.