Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Decoding a seemingly nonexistent Schwinn DoubleTime Tandem Bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 10:53 PM
dbroox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, everyone. I just found my way here while doing some serious Schwinn tandem research and wanted to bounce something off of y'all.

I was recently gifted an old crossover style Schwinn Tandem that I cannot find any information on.

The decals on the frame say Schwinn DoubleTime - a model that seems to not exist in any online catalog I've looked through.

The serial number on the downtube (near the front bottom bracket) reads AL92015065, which, according to my searching, should mean January 1975... but the style and hardware doesn't quite fit that decade.

The head badge is stamped with 0632, which should be March 3rd of 1972, 1982, or 1992 ... however the style of the headbadge matches the 1995 version on the re-cycle schwinn site (The forum won't let me post a link to that page cause I'm too new I guess)

After browsing the catalogs, the hardware on this bicycle seems very similar to that of the early 90s crisscross -
crappy Suntour shifters, same seats, similar looking gears, decals, etc. So, I'm guessing this is a bike that came out in the early 90s ... but the tandem frame doesn't match any other tandem frame I've seen by Schwinn. It sorta just looks like they cut the rear stays off of a standard men's frame and welded a second men's frame onto the back of it ... and the 1975 based serial number on the frame is especially suspicious.

So, I mainly started digging into this because I wanted to see if this tandem was worth putting any money into, but the more I dug, the more confused and interested I got into it's history. I know Schwinn was going through rough times in the early 90s ... so I'm wondering if this was just some weird one-off model they quickly pushed out then.

Anyway, I'd love to find a way to get any more information on this model or hear any insight that anyone here may have!

Thanks!

Last edited by dbroox; 08-09-17 at 09:22 AM. Reason: clarifications
Old 08-09-17, 07:20 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts
Photos would REALLY help here...

That's not one of the vintage model names to my knowledge. Schwinn went belly up in the 90s...the name was sold to Pacific and you see bikes with Schwinn branding in department stores. I've also seen them use their older names, like Paramount, in shops like Performance...Schwinn is really just a decal now. From what you describe, it's likely a more recent tandem...likely lower end.

It wouldn't be the first hack and weld tandem I've seen. Post some photos.

As far as putting money into it...it depends on your goals. It is almost never worth putting any money into ANY tandem as far as selling them. If it's something you want to ride with someone it MIGHT be worth putting some cash into, but understand that it's a sunk cost. And you can often find pretty nice tandems inexpensively.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 08-09-17 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 09:18 AM
dbroox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I tried to link to photos, but the forum won't let me until I have at least 10 posts.
It looks like I can attach them though...
  1. The Schwinn double time
  2. The headbadge in 1995 style, stamped March 3rd, 1992? (or 82 or 72)
  3. The serial number on the downtube pointing toward January 1975.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
schwinn-doubletime-tandem.jpg (99.1 KB, 117 views)
schwinn-doubletime-headba.jpg (89.1 KB, 112 views)
schwinn-doubletime-serial.jpg (91.5 KB, 113 views)
Old 08-09-17, 09:29 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts
It's not a weld job...and I have seen a similar one before. Entry level LBS tandem, not department store. Looks like thicker aluminum tubing...it's probably a good starter tandem and would be ride-able for reasonable distances. You surely should not put money into it if you're motivation is selling. I see some surface rust on some parts...you'll end up changing some bolts and cables.

If you can do the work yourself...I'd bet you could get it going inexpensively. If you take it to a shop, you're going to end up paying quite a bit, which might be worth it to you. That's your call.

Does it fit and your riding partner?
Old 08-09-17, 09:56 AM
dazevedo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'd say it's a 92 year model as Schwinn didn't start date stamping the head badges until 76 and I believe didn't have a mountain bike style frame until 84. Of coarse I could be wrong and someone will correct me.
Old 08-09-17, 10:23 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Liked 2,327 Times in 1,162 Posts
Intersting, that top tube doesn't look straight from the Head Tube to the stoker seat tube. It must have an eccentric front BB without the chain tensioner showing. I would think that is a differentiator between bottom and mid to upper end tandem.
Old 08-09-17, 08:50 PM
Chukbacca

Bikes: 1988 Univega Alpina Pro

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
The photo wouldn't let me magnify...but I will say it resembles a Costco tandem I have called the Motiv Duet. If it's the same bike rebadged, I would agree it's a nice entry level tandem. I paid $40 for mine and it needed new cables, tires, tubes, full lube, chain, etc. I had no intention to sell and could fix it up as money allowed.
Old 05-27-24, 01:05 AM
rickpaulos

Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
Old thread but another of these tandems showed up on fbm. (photo attached). The seller states it is a Double Time but the reflection in the photo makes reading the model name impossible.

Some other dating methods are to look for 2 letter date codes on the back sides of components. Many of the Japanese parts companies had date codes. You can look those up at vintage trek dot com components page. One bike can often cover a year of dates as it takes time for each oem maker to ship parts to the bicycle assembly factories.

Schwinn had many different serial number systems. The MYnnnnnn (2 letters with 6 digits, not 8) was the dominant method for the Chicago factory built mass market EF bikes. That factory closed during 1983. There were some EF bikes made by Murray in 1984/1985 that used the same method. Many Schwinns were imported or built in other Schwinn owned factories in Greenville or Wisconsin or Washington or Cspel. The older Town & Country tandem had it's own serial number system even though they were made in the Chicago factory.

I would have guessed 1990s and the head badge number would likely be 1992 based on the look and components. I would think the frame was made in Taiwan by Giant or in Japan.

There are many models of Schwinns that never appeared in catalogs. And some years of the catalogs were disasters when the company was making major changes. For some years they split up the catalogs into Road, BMX or MTB some of which are not on the internet.

In the 1992 catalog they list the Duo Sport tandem. Looks different. And it's unlikely the company would have offered 2 similar models of tandems. More like they stopped making the DuoSport and added the Double Time mid season from a different supplier. 1992 was the beginning of the end. When Schwinn started the nosedive in to big debt and bankruptcy in 1996. The Greenville plant was closed (and later demolished).

Some of the Schwinn time line. Main Chicago factory closed up in 1983 (took most the year). Schwinn family owned company declared bankruptcy in 1996. Name acquired by Scott Sports Group for a fire sale price. Sold to Questor in 1997. Questor filed for bankruptcy in 2002 because they paid too much. Name bought by Pacific. Pacific later bought by Dorel in Canada. In 2021 Pon bought Dorel. So Schwinn is now a Dutch brand. From 2002 to present, pretty much all Schwinns are made in China and sold via big box stores or their website.

Schwinn Double Time Tandem bicycle

Last edited by rickpaulos; 05-27-24 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-14-24, 05:16 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Liked 208 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by dbroox
. . .

The serial number on the downtube (near the front bottom bracket) reads AL92015065, which, according to my searching, should mean January 1975... but the style and hardware doesn't quite fit that decade.

The head badge is stamped with 0632, which should be March 3rd of 1972, 1982, or 1992 ... however the style of the headbadge matches the 1995 version on the re-cycle schwinn site (The forum won't let me post a link to that page cause I'm too new I guess)

. . .
Hello dgroox,
Welcome to the forum and thank-you for posting information about your tandem bicycle.

The bicycle was manufactured in 1992, by which time Schwinn was no longer manufacturing bicycle frames. So the serial number will not be compatible with any of the Schwinn serial number formats.

"AL" identifies the frame manufacturer, probably from Taiwan. I have seen Univega bicycles from this period with the same serial number format.

"92" is for the year of frame manufacture and the following "01" is for the month of manufacture.

The headbadge date is for early March 1992. This is not long after the date of frame manufacture.