Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear brake "raiser"?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear brake "raiser"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-24, 09:13 PM
Camilo

Liked 1,410 Times in 906 Posts
Rear brake "raiser"?

I wouldn't even know how to search for this. I've had a bit but haven't hit on anything that helps. Maybe it's just a dumb idea

I'm trying to fit 28mm tires on my rim brake bike. The rear tire fits easily enough, but the top of the front tire rubs against the brake caliper. That's the only limiting factor.

The caliper has several mm - maybe even a cm - of downward pad adjustment remaining. Meaning if I could somehow raise the caliper itself, I could adjust the pads down to the brake track. Other than consulting with a machinist, is there anything anyone, anywhere, at any time, has done to raise the brake caliper? Obviously I don't want to drill another hole through the fork crown, just get the caliper up a few mm.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-26-24 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-26-24, 10:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,491 Times in 1,916 Posts
Eons ago, Dia Compe drop bolts, for their single pivot brakes, had 2 spring slots, so they could be inverted and used as a "raise" bolt.

However, those were the first and last time I saw a commercial part to raise a brake.

Depending on your brake, it's not difficult to make one by drilling, and possibly tapping 2 6mm holes close together in a small block of brass or stainless steel.

Another option that may work. Is to mount the brake in front of the bridge. On most bikes that effectively raises it.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-26-24 at 11:15 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-26-24, 10:19 PM
tdh

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/10050...Cquery_from%3A
This is an adaptor to lower the brake calliper...you might be able to use it as a "raiser". Hope that helps.
Likes For tdh:
Old 05-26-24, 10:38 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200, Soma double cross 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball, Waterford rs11

Liked 3,061 Times in 1,393 Posts
Some older calipers have more room. Do you have a picture of your present setup?
Old 05-26-24, 10:57 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Liked 1,849 Times in 1,185 Posts
Stacking a few extra washers between your fork and the brake can get you a few millimeters clearance.

Also Old Universal Side pulls had more tire clearance and often more reach. You could also go for some center pulls. It all depends how much more room you need. Need pics...
Old 05-26-24, 10:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,339 Times in 2,793 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Some older calipers have more room. Do you have a picture of your present setup?
Yes. But not all. I have two sets of super short reach calipers for my very close Pro Miyata, SunTour Cyclone and DiaCompe with SunTour Superbe styling. The Cyclone limits the rear tire to 24c. 25s rub. The DiaCompe has far more clearance and the tire will hit the caliper and bridge at the same time.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-27-24, 05:18 AM
shelbyfv
Banned

Liked 6,514 Times in 3,291 Posts
Maybe something in this recent thread will help.
Old 05-27-24, 07:54 AM
Crankycrank

Liked 1,218 Times in 841 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
stacking a few extra washers between your fork and the brake can get you a few millimeters clearance.
+1
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-27-24, 08:49 AM
KerryIrons

Liked 711 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I wouldn't even know how to search for this. I've had a bit but haven't hit on anything that helps. Maybe it's just a dumb idea

I'm trying to fit 28mm tires on my rim brake bike. The rear tire fits easily enough, but the top of the front tire rubs against the brake caliper. That's the only limiting factor.

The caliper has several mm - maybe even a cm - of downward pad adjustment remaining. Meaning if I could somehow raise the caliper itself, I could adjust the pads down to the brake track. Other than consulting with a machinist, is there anything anyone, anywhere, at any time, has done to raise the brake caliper? Obviously I don't want to drill another hole through the fork crown, just get the caliper up a few mm.
Even if you figure out how to raise the brake, is there really that much more clearance to the underside of the fork crown? At any rate, the suggestion to mount the brake "behind" the fork crown is probably the easiest thing to try first.
Old 05-27-24, 09:02 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200, Soma double cross 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball, Waterford rs11

Liked 3,061 Times in 1,393 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yes. But not all. I have two sets of super short reach calipers for my very close Pro Miyata, SunTour Cyclone and DiaCompe with SunTour Superbe styling. The Cyclone limits the rear tire to 24c. 25s rub. The DiaCompe has far more clearance and the tire will hit the caliper and bridge at the same time.
My favorite are the 600/Ultegra.