Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

headlight strategy that works for me

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 11:35 AM
despoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in a neighborhood of busy streets in Seattle. I do most of my riding early in the day (4:30am to 5:30am) when trafffic is very light but the danger factor still exists with pre occupied cell phone using drivers etc..I have tried a variety of headlights...have used some Cateye opticube 2 or 3 led things that were pretty lame and extremely difficult to get open and put back together when replacing batteries also used one cat eye tailight that was almost inviisible.
Because most of my riding is in darkness save for the 2 or 3 months of what we refer to as summer in Seattle through trial and error I have found a lighting strategy that works best for me.

I likethe Energizer Headlamp (the one with 4 modes) for my money it is ideal. I use the 2 light mode the farthest to each side (picture a frog with led eyes) . For one thing it is at one of the highest points..my forehead...for good visibility to motorists including those cars who are about to intersect on my route. The headlamp beams whereever I look. Also I like that the led's are designed in a protruding way so that they provide peripheral visibility even when I am looking straight ahead at the road...a feature lacking on many bike headlights...including some pricey ones. It is very light ..in fact I forget I am wearing it. Another thing I like is its price.....relatively cheap..around 17 bucks at Walmart. I use the Energizer headlamp in tandem with a 5 led Power Beam in blinking mode mounted on my handle bar.

As for tailights : I have a Planet Bike blinky attatched to my helmet and a Cateye LD1000 on my seat post. The Cateye has somewhat good side visibility but i feel more comfortable also using Solar reflective tape from Cole farms on my rims and fork.