Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What was the BEST thing that happened on your ride today

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 02:35 PM
synapsemusic
GORSH DAMNIT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there are quite a few threads dedicated to bad things happening/negativity (MS paint your mishaps, jackass BFSSFG, etc) so I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about fun/enjoyment. It doesn't have to be from "today", just talk about any really awesome experiences you've had on your bike that made all the haters and gouged palms worth it.

So to begin,

My commute to campus is downhill (one way of course) and at the bottom is a giant intersection with terrible pavement/construction. I always have to slow down a LOT to not die on the loose gravel or bizarre traffic patterns. Well when I came back to town to take summer classes I found that the ENTIRE area had been beautifully repaved, with awesome bike lanes the whole way. Got on my bike and bombed that s*** at full speed, grinning like a dummy.
Old 07-16-09, 02:45 PM
brandontw
Just some Guy

Bikes: 1999 specialized FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found 10$ the other day while riding to work... that was pretty sweet. I stopped and grabbed a celebration coffee and donut with it, and still had about 7 left for lunch later on.

Also, a couple weeks ago I found a nice shortcut through campus to get to my class in the morning. I used to think i had to go around on the road because there was stairs in the way, but I found a way through...
Old 07-16-09, 02:50 PM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a flat on my last ride. Sounds bad, but turned out to be awesome because I had my CO2 and my 15mm tool w/ me.

Usually, I don't carry this stuff w/ me on my FG b/c I am going short distances. For some reason, I decided to put my saddle bag on before I went on this ride. It was seriously SO satisfying to be able to change my tire on the side of the road and get back to riding just like I was on a road bike.
Old 07-16-09, 02:57 PM
G60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got hit by a Tahoe on my last ride.

=(
Old 07-16-09, 02:58 PM
RubberDucks

Bikes: Kilo TT, Dawes SST, Giant Iguana, Sears&Roebuck Free Spirit(RIP)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
last night I got peace signed by another fixed gear rider heading the opposite direction. made me smile..
Old 07-16-09, 03:05 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
The cops closed off a 3 lane road and traffic was backed up fora couple miles. I got to split lanes and mosey past all the people stuck in their cars. Once I got to where the cops were I saw something that looked like a S.W.A.T. truck but I can't be sure. That was pretty fun.
Old 07-16-09, 03:16 PM
RubberDucks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a couple weeks ago I high-fived a girl hailing a cab as I rode by...
Old 07-16-09, 03:35 PM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A coworker saw me bombing down the hill into town pedaling like a mad man and later that day asked me why I didn't stop pedaling and coast. I explained the whole fixed gear concept to him and he looked at me like I was strange. He just had a heart attack, I still weigh what I did when I was in my 20s.
Old 07-16-09, 03:39 PM
Dion Rides

Originally Posted by RubberDucks
PIMP!!!

I haven't gone out yet (waiting for it to cool down + work) but I'm taking out my road bike today.

Old 07-16-09, 03:46 PM
runningscared80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing major, but after fiddling with seat height, angle, and position for weeks I finally found the magic sweet spot.
Old 07-16-09, 03:47 PM
inertiadreamer

Bikes: Masi & Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a week ago I got a nice compliment on my bike from a roadie. Made me think maybe geared and non-geared bike riders could come together and be happy .... eh nahhh
Old 07-16-09, 04:01 PM
j3ffr3y
chickenosaurus

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Team Track, 1997 GT Edge, 2012 Kilo TT Stripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tested out a fuji track comp. It was amazing. I'm so pumped for the Bikesdirect version!
Old 07-16-09, 04:01 PM
Yo!

Bikes: Panasonic NJS Keirin x2, Level Professional, Bianchi CUSS, GT Pulse

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was buying a Bianchi SISS off CL for my little brother the other day, and a Suburban pulled up with a lot of cyclists wondering if we were meeting from a craigs ad.

Dallas isn't the best city for SS/FG, so it was nice to see a bit of recognition from some other area cyclists.
Old 07-16-09, 04:14 PM
brandontw
Just some Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inertiadreamer
About a week ago I got a nice compliment on my bike from a roadie. Made me think maybe geared and non-geared bike riders could come together and be happy .... eh nahhh
I have a geared roadie and a FG, and I get along quite well with my self... proof of concept?
Old 07-16-09, 04:32 PM
JonRidesBikes
Banned

Bikes: custom built single speed and a CAAD9-6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain fell off, wheel locked up in traffic doing >25
Old 07-16-09, 04:37 PM
progre-ss

Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously you got her digits?

This morning i was coming up on older kid on his bmx. he kept looking back at me pedaling his heart out so i wouldn't catch up. i ended up catching up and leisurely passing him on my fixed gear folder as we crested a hill.
Old 07-16-09, 04:55 PM
dayvan cowboy

Bikes: Fuji Track, Half built 70s Azuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
realized that rattling noise i thought was coming from my drivetrain was just a loose water bottle boss.
Old 07-16-09, 05:01 PM
RubberDucks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by progre-ss
obviously you got her digits?
all five baby!!
Old 07-16-09, 05:02 PM
Mattpatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dayvan cowboy
realized that rattling noise i thought was coming from my drivetrain was just a loose water bottle boss.
Mad props using boss in such a boss way.

I broke 40 mph today
Old 07-16-09, 05:05 PM
croscoe

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I was having a **** day yesterday, and some kids in the back of a car waved at me. Made me smile.

all five baby!!
Old 07-16-09, 05:05 PM
renton20

Bikes: old lotus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Requires a little backstory,

So I work at a rehab center here in mn for an adolescent population(14-24) and we see all kinds of crazy ****. Kids sneaking stuff in hidden pockets, parents dropping off drugs, kids friends hiding stuff on the property, **** one time we had a kid sneak in a cell phone and try to buy drugs from his dealer using paypal. So anyway about a month ago I am riding into work on my last stretch and I am just bombing in. I don't have a computer but I would guess I was going upwards of 25mph when I was pulling up in the parking lot. Well on this particular day right as I pulled in my co-worker comes running out of the building, walkie in hand. They had no idea it was me and it turns out that they thought that I was assaulting the building or trying to drop something off or something and the entire staff that was working at that time was notified to be prepared of my arrival. The rest of the day I had people coming up to me and asking about my bike and cycling in general. Not a huge thing but I thought that it was kind of cool.
Old 07-16-09, 05:16 PM
winspirit
winspirit

Bikes: trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I beat the wind!
Old 07-16-09, 05:23 PM
agstfl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding out from work across town to lunch with co-workers who took a car... an beating them there by 15 minutes.
Old 07-16-09, 05:24 PM
chrisk42

Bikes: fuji track 09, khs flite 300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i narrowly avoided 3 small children that darted out in front of me with out looking
Old 07-16-09, 05:34 PM
brandontw
Just some Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by renton20
Requires a little backstory,

So I work at a rehab center here in mn for an adolescent population(14-24) and we see all kinds of crazy ****. Kids sneaking stuff in hidden pockets, parents dropping off drugs, kids friends hiding stuff on the property, **** one time we had a kid sneak in a cell phone and try to buy drugs from his dealer using paypal. So anyway about a month ago I am riding into work on my last stretch and I am just bombing in. I don't have a computer but I would guess I was going upwards of 25mph when I was pulling up in the parking lot. Well on this particular day right as I pulled in my co-worker comes running out of the building, walkie in hand. They had no idea it was me and it turns out that they thought that I was assaulting the building or trying to drop something off or something and the entire staff that was working at that time was notified to be prepared of my arrival. The rest of the day I had people coming up to me and asking about my bike and cycling in general. Not a huge thing but I thought that it was kind of cool.
Dang, i don't know how people work in rehab centers, seems like it would be depressing... Parents dropping off drugs? thats some dark shiz man...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.