Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What makes a bike ride nice?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What makes a bike ride nice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-24, 12:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,934 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Great topic -- one of the few fundamental questions about bike riding that hasn't been beaten to death (and then revived and beaten to death again) on Bike Forums.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I feel so honored to get some the the earliest blows in on this doubtless soon-to-be dead horse, which will doubtless soon join the herd of dead horses we love to beat.
Originally Posted by john m flores
What an unfriendly way to treat the thread of a new member....
Easy for you to say after you have already gotten in a few good strikes .....
Old 06-17-24, 12:29 PM
squirtdad 

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,501 Times in 1,829 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The most important factor is the quality of the air you put in your tires. I prefer Silca air, with CeramicSpeed a close second. You definitely want to avoid SRAM air -- it's just re-labelled import air.
off topic, but in line with this "information"

BITD my brother worked at a service station (like a gas station but with mechanics) in my hometown of Chinook, MT
A little old lady (OG LOL) would come in in the spring to get the winter air in her tire removed and replaced with summer are and vice versa in the fall.
She was a sharp cookie, she insisted on watching the valve being removed to ensure all the old air came out

Old 06-17-24, 12:30 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday All-Packa & Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte, Ozark Trail G.1 Explorer

Liked 1,637 Times in 738 Posts
Easy for you to say after you have already gotten in a few good strikes .....
How about treating the new member and their question with some respect instead of unhelpful inside jokes?

Likes For john m flores:
Old 06-17-24, 12:39 PM
Ditto1958

Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts
I feel so honored to get some the the earliest blows in on this doubtless soon-to-be dead horse, which will doubtless soon join the herd of dead horses we love to beat.
I’m new here at this forum. Although I’ve been riding bicycles for over 60 years, this is an honest question I didn’t know the answer to. I’m anything but thin skinned, so my feelings aren’t hurt, but unless this is an attempt at humor it sure isn’t a very nice way to talk to someone.

As for everyone else who has provided thoughtful answers, thank you. I appreciate it.
Likes For Ditto1958:
Old 06-17-24, 12:57 PM
squirtdad 

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,501 Times in 1,829 Posts
all of this has pretty much been covered, but many things can make a bike "feel" great

in my experience it involves a just right fit, with characteristics like flex etc that suit the rider and rider weight. Beyond that all things be good is is good tire/wheel combo. And finally just bit of magic/intangible/hard to measure

example of tire/wheel difference. I have an 84 miyata team, perfect size and fit. when I got it it had super heavy bontrager 25 mm tires and super thick inner tubes on Ma40 rims/dura race hubs, in that config ride was meh, at best.
Put 28mm gravel kings and and conti race lite tubes on, bike change to lively and great ride
Put a tubular wheelset, light on Mavic 330 gel rims, nice sanshin cartridge hubs, wheelsmith build and Challenge 25mm tubular. Bike was transformed, it just wants to go fast and be pushed

Old 06-17-24, 02:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Just for a clarification for those of you looking for a fight ....

Great topic -- one of the few fundamental questions about bike riding that hasn't been beaten to death (and then revived and beaten to death again) on Bike Forums.
I am sure well know @Trakhack ….. he is the one saying this was a new topic, one which hasn’t been beaten to death.

Fundamental reading comprehension and all ….

I said essentially---full quote below for nit-pickers) that like every other topic, in time this too would be an oft-repeated post topic and be beaten to death. In fact, saying this could be seen as an endorsement of the original topic---it is so good it will surely be revisited countless times.

In fact, I was just making a joke, but seriously ... where is the insult?

For those who like to fight more than they like to think … just for kicks, think it through.

Did I insult the OP? Nope, never even mentioned the OP.

Did I demean the topic? Nope, never even specifically addressed the topic (though I did in subsequent posts, which no one bothered to read, I guess ,,, too hard to start a fight if you have information which undermines your imaginary “offense” … )

What I said was that BF posters would eventually repeat and rehash this topic a million times, just as they have with almost every other topic.

Anyone care to explain exactly how I disrespected the OP? Be Very specific.

Anyone care to explain how I demeaned the OP’s post? Again, specific examples.

Then .. of course, people have ignored this … I Did specifically address the OP’s topic in Post #24.

Care to explain if anything there was offensive, in the one post I made actually addressing directly the premise of the original post?

People who like to fight cvan always find a reason to fight. People who like to feel offended can always find a reason to feel offended.

I don’t live my life to fight or to offend, but I also don’t live my life to avoid the negative reactions of those who want to fight or be offended.

So … waiting to see exactly what people think I said which they think was offensive.

Then we can continue the discussion (or side discussion) from there.
Old 06-17-24, 02:57 PM
Ditto1958

The new Trek is aluminum. If the previous bike was steel and the bikes were otherwise comparable, that would be enough to satisfy me. These days, I'll take pretty much any aluminum bike over a similar steel bike.
Thank you for your thoughts. The old one was aluminum, too. Both the old one and the current one came with cheap hard saddles, but neither one was bad. Both bikes same size. Again other than brand and color and type of brakes, similarly specced, similarly priced.
Old 06-17-24, 03:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,231 Times in 6,796 Posts
I thought this thread was about what makes a (bike ride) (nice), but instead it's about what makes a (bike) (ride nice).

The answer is that the geometry of the bike is a good match to how you're using it, and that the bike fits you properly. Good tires at an optimal pressure also helps.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-17-24, 03:21 PM
Ditto1958

Originally Posted by genejockey
I thought this thread was about what makes a (bike ride) (nice), but instead it's about what makes a (bike) (ride nice).

The answer is that the geometry of the bike is a good match to how you're using it, and that the bike fits you properly. Good tires at an optimal pressure also helps.
Lol, I do remember being on a bike ride years ago, a nice summer day in Wisconsin, and I rode out to a country road in dairyland. The bike I was on was good, and everything was peachy… and then a large farm dog decided to chase me and nip at my foot. I hightailed it as
fast as I could, and outran him, but it was a close call.
Old 06-17-24, 03:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2022 Trek Supercaliber, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,967 Times in 4,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Ditto1958
Lol, I do remember being on a bike ride years ago, a nice summer day in Wisconsin, and I rode out to a country road in dairyland. The bike I was on was good, and everything was peachy… and then a large farm dog decided to chase me and nip at my foot. I hightailed it as
fast as I could, and outran him, but it was a close call.
Was the dog named Eddie?
Old 06-17-24, 04:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,310 Times in 2,099 Posts
not having a bunch of hang-ons & if the accessories on it look like they belong, that makes it nicer.
Old 06-17-24, 06:28 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 5,881 Times in 2,514 Posts
Magic!

Italian magic

Austrian magic

Swiss magic

Belgium magic

American magic
One just needs to ride a whole bunch of bikes to find one's special magic(s).
Put another way: It can be a long and pleasurable ride to finding one's sweet spot.

.edit: Seriously = best tires, best feel at the 3 touch points, good weather & roads and a smile at every turn.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-17-24 at 07:27 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 06-17-24, 07:22 PM
TheBlackPumpkin

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock - 2009 | Specialized Roll

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Tire choice has made by far the biggest impact (heh) for me. On the flip side of that, crashing makes a bigger impact (heh).

I'll see myself out.
Likes For TheBlackPumpkin:
Old 06-17-24, 09:21 PM
indyfabz

Liked 17,485 Times in 8,178 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlackPumpkin
Tire choice has made by far the biggest impact (heh) for me. On the flip side of that, crashing makes a bigger impact (heh).

I'll see myself out.
Don’t let the door hit you in the….
Old 06-17-24, 10:21 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Don’t let the door hit you in the….
... flip side.
Old 06-17-24, 11:27 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Liked 2,278 Times in 1,393 Posts
While there are a number of great legitimate responses, there is a honeymoon placebo period where a new more expensive item seems vastly superior even if it is similar.

Bikes can have this effect, but nothing comes close to golf clubs. There is no better feeling than that first drive down the middle of the fairway. Six months later it is sitting in the corner waiting to be replaced.

John
Old 06-18-24, 08:52 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Liked 421 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Leavenworth??
Old 06-18-24, 08:58 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Liked 421 Times in 238 Posts
From the title of the thread I thought it was about what makes a good ride. To me this is warm temperatures, no flats, little to no wind, can be either a solo ride or ride with friends.

As I read the body of the post the OP brought in other factors. I'll add proper tire pressure, the right tires and bike for the terrain you will be riding. Throw in a great bike fit and you should be ready to have a great ride!
Old 06-18-24, 12:17 PM
skidder

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1,692 Times in 1,151 Posts
Fit would be primary. Not only saddle height & position, or handlebar reach & width, but I've also come to appreciate crank length. I experienced this a number of years ago when I hopped on someone's bicycle who had 170mm cranks versus the 175mm cranks that were on my bicycle. I changed over to 170mm, my knees thank me for it and I've never thought of going back to 175mm.
Likes For skidder:
Old 06-18-24, 01:06 PM
Ditto1958

Originally Posted by skidder
Fit would be primary. Not only saddle height & position, or handlebar reach & width, but I've also come to appreciate crank length. I experienced this a number of years ago when I hopped on someone's bicycle who had 170mm cranks versus the 175mm cranks that were on my bicycle. I changed over to 170mm, my knees thank me for it and I've never thought of going back to 175mm.
I don’t know anything about the geometry or dimensions of my old bike. I wasn’t uncomfortable on it that I recall. But it’s certainly possible it wasn’t a good fit.
Old 06-18-24, 01:26 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Liked 555 Times in 381 Posts
Tires (including pressure), componentry (some shifters feel so crisp and instant, brake pads with good bite, etc), and weight (not important for overall speed but lighter bikes accelerate easier and humans tend to feel acceleration moreso vs velocity).
Old 06-18-24, 01:44 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Liked 991 Times in 596 Posts
Endorphins....
Old 06-18-24, 01:47 PM
Pratt

Liked 569 Times in 335 Posts
The most important factor is the quality of the air you put in your tires. I prefer Silca air, with CeramicSpeed a close second. You definitely want to avoid SRAM air -- it's just re-labelled import air.
Out of curiosity, do you wax your air?
Old 06-18-24, 05:59 PM
PeteHski

Liked 5,878 Times in 3,628 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Tires (including pressure), componentry (some shifters feel so crisp and instant, brake pads with good bite, etc), and weight (not important for overall speed but lighter bikes accelerate easier and humans tend to feel acceleration moreso vs velocity).
It’s just a shame that your slightly lighter bike is still carrying something that weighs approx 10x more.

Old 06-18-24, 06:21 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Liked 1,348 Times in 717 Posts
Personally I prefer Italian air, imported from the Tuscany or Puglia regions. It has a certain "Non so cosa" or "je ne se quois"

and it's cross culturally integrated for maximum market penetration, laterally stiff while vertically compliant, and a bright cocoa finish with overtones of blackberry

/markp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.