Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

How do I winterise Fat Bike?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

How do I winterise Fat Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-19, 04:15 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Wet lube is my only good recommendation. Wash when you can but sometimes hard when it remains below zero. Consider getting a set of cheap wheels for bad weather
Old 12-14-19, 10:40 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Wet lube is my only good recommendation. Wash when you can but sometimes hard when it remains below zero. Consider getting a set of cheap wheels for bad weather
Wet lube may be your only good recommendation but its a very good one.😀
I used a general purpose spray lube on my chain the other day.
Just because I had it out for something else. It sprayed off the crud alright,
but got rinsed off itself by rain the same day. I mean rust city in one day.🤗😶🤗
What is an easily found wet lube?🤔
Old 12-16-19, 08:11 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by PdalPowr
Wet lube may be your only good recommendation but its a very good one.😀
I used a general purpose spray lube on my chain the other day.
Just because I had it out for something else. It sprayed off the crud alright,
but got rinsed off itself by rain the same day. I mean rust city in one day.🤗😶🤗
What is an easily found wet lube?🤔
I just started using Boeshield T9, It's sort of a cross between dry and wet
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 12-17-19, 07:56 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by PdalPowr
And treating bicycles as disposable is just wrong.

I am not so lucky or willing to drive my bike to trails on my car.
It has to ride on roads.
I live outside Minneapolis, riding my Pugsley through the winters, and do a lot of road riding to get where I'm going. The Pugsley has some lower quality stock components that I have been replacing with higher quality components. But this is not about rust or other winter damage ... my gravel riding with this bike is easily more damaging than salty roads (reference this thread with many posts of the Toad and his Pug).

My typical winter prep is change summer (Fat B Nimble) tires to winter (Dillinger 4) tires; clean the drive train; use T-9 to wax the frame. When I bought this bike (Dec 2014), I had the shop add frame-saver inside the tubes.

During the winter, I focus on the drive train - adding T-9 once a week or so and removing the chain to clean it about once a month. My bike lives in the basement, so it thaws and dries after every ride.

Once the worst of the thaw and snow is done, the bike gets a deep clean.

This bike has 5,500 miles (majority winter miles) and shows no signs of rust.

For reference, this is the kinda winter conditions my Pug sees:

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 12-17-19 at 09:40 AM. Reason: fix the ever present typo
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 12-17-19, 09:08 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Studded tires is my winter prep. Mostly trails, no pave per se.
Old 12-17-19, 09:10 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I live outside Minneapolis, riding my Pugsley through the winters, and do a lot of road riding to get where I'm going. The Pugsley has some lower quality stock components that I have been replacing with higher quality components. But this is not about rust or other winter damage ... my gravel riding with this bike is easily more damaging than salty roads (reference this thread with many posts of the Toad and his Pug).

My typical winter prep is change summer (Fat B Nimble) tires to winter (Dillinger 4) tires; clean the drive train; use T-9 to wax the frame. When I bought this bike (Dec 2014), I had the shop add frame-saver inside the tubes.

During the winter, I focus on the drive train - adding T-9 once a week or so and removing the chain to clean it about once a month. My bike lives in the basement, so it thaws and dries after every ride.

Once the worst of the thaw and snow is done, the bike gets a deep clean.

This bike has 5,500 miles (majority winter miles) and shows no signs of rust.

For reference, this is the kinda winter conditions my Pug sees:

Awesome pic
Why D4s instead of 5s?
Old 12-18-19, 08:02 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Awesome pic
Why D4s instead of 5s?
Thanks!

The Pugsley frame is OG ... only fits 26x3.8 tires. This is the 2015 model, it has a Moonlander fork, so I could go 4.8" on the front. but the rear is limited to 3.8". Catalog for reference/details

For nearly all the riding I do with this bike, the 3.8" tires cover my needs - I have Woodchippers (drop-bars), so this is not a great set up for riding fresh/deep snow.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 12-18-19, 08:12 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Thanks!

The Pugsley frame is OG ... only fits 26x3.8 tires. This is the 2015 model, it has a Moonlander fork, so I could go 4.8" on the front. but the rear is limited to 3.8". Catalog for reference/details

For nearly all the riding I do with this bike, the 3.8" tires cover my needs - I have Woodchippers (drop-bars), so this is not a great set up for riding fresh/deep snow.
That's right, I just got my first 197 frame and finally using the "current" standard. Was on 170QR for some time, but hubs choices were getting limited. Looking forward to snow, in NJ at the moment it's just moderately cold and icy but none of the fluffy stuff we all want for Christmas.
Old 12-18-19, 10:03 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

That's right, I just got my first 197 frame and finally using the "current" standard. Was on 170QR for some time, but hubs choices were getting limited. Looking forward to snow, in NJ at the moment it's just moderately cold and icy but none of the fluffy stuff we all want for Christmas.
We've been blessed with snow - we have a good base of snow and the in great conditions. But it's currently -3F .... bring the warm gear and work on your best frost beard
Likes For Hypno Toad: