Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Recommend tires?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Recommend tires?

Old 05-16-20, 04:07 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Recommend tires?

Looking to get a new rear tire for my mt bike. full suspension
what do u all recommend
right now I have a Kendra on the back, what brands and types you recommend, a half decent one for mud and dirt, just something good for in between.
Old 05-16-20, 07:32 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Not enough info
what's the bike brand/model and what's on front now?
what type of riding do you do?
What's wrong with the Kenda tire you have now?
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 05-18-20, 11:49 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
It's a highly competitive market and most manufacturers build pretty good products within their price brackets. I like a lot of Kenda products, for example. To even start giving a recommendation I'd need at least the tire size your bike uses, what kind of bike it is --XC? Short travel trail? Long travel trail/Enduro? FS, or hardtail? How do you ride and what are your priorities? Things like that.
Old 05-19-20, 04:37 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
I recommend getting the max width you can fit and set them up tubeless if your rims will allow. Higher TPI counts are better than lower ones, but, in my limited understanding, are not as important in wider MTB tires than they are in road tires.

Beyond that, just read the blurbs for the tread that fits your use and budget. I heard on what was basically a "tire TED Talk" from representatives from WTB, Schwalbe, and Ultradynamico, that tread patterns are more of a marketing gimmick than anything else, that is, people tend to buy tires that look cool. They also said that tires tend to handle about how they look so, that's a good thing. Their words, not mine.

I have had several tires and I enjoy Panaracer products, they're made in Japan and very high quality. I am currently running Vee Tire Co T-Fattys and I do not enjoy them. They are quality tires and they have good wear but underwhelming performance. Other manufacturers make great tires as well, with Maxxis being maybe the king of the hill in the MTB game right now. Figure out what you want then choose the tire, don't target a specific brand.
Old 05-19-20, 06:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I inquired and searched on my local mt. bike website and FaceBook page as to what tires folks were using for our local conditions. Turned out Nobby Nics were a popular tire, went with that and have been happy. But everyplace is different, soil, rocks, skill level, etc.....
Old 05-24-20, 12:00 AM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
OK...I will jump in and hijack the thread with my specs...I am looking for a new rear tire. The bike is a 2020 Rockhopper Comp 1x hardtail. I ride mostly XC and some pavement. Rides are usually 10-20 miles. My current tires are Specialized Fast Track Sport 29x2.3 in the rear and Specialized Ground Control Sport 29x2.3 in the front. These are not tubeless, wheels are not tubeless ready and I dont plan on going tubeless yet.

Easy thing is replace with the same tire. Wondering if there is a better option...lighter...more durable..better traction?
Old 05-25-20, 01:54 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by jrhoneOC
OK...I will jump in and hijack the thread with my specs...I am looking for a new rear tire. The bike is a 2020 Rockhopper Comp 1x hardtail. I ride mostly XC and some pavement. Rides are usually 10-20 miles. My current tires are Specialized Fast Track Sport 29x2.3 in the rear and Specialized Ground Control Sport 29x2.3 in the front. These are not tubeless, wheels are not tubeless ready and I dont plan on going tubeless yet.

Easy thing is replace with the same tire. Wondering if there is a better option...lighter...more durable..better traction?
Panaracer CG XC or Panaracer DriverPro - The DriverPro's have awesome tread for your use and the option to go tubeless down the road if you so wish. Panaracer tires are excellent quality (in my experience) and made in Japan. Your LBS should be able to order. I would run exclusively Panaracer tires based on my experience with them but they have limited options in the PLUS/FAT range of casing sizing so my next tires would likely be Maxxis or WTB.

I have had a few sets of Specialized tires, not the ones you're running, and I find them to be excellent compared to others as well so can't go wrong with direct replacement either!
Old 05-25-20, 07:38 PM
Damar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
neubie ​​​​​​​

Hola Im a Neubie
Old 05-27-20, 09:56 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
Looking to get a new rear tire for my mt bike. full suspension
what do u all recommend
right now I have a Kendra on the back, what brands and types you recommend, a half decent one for mud and dirt, just something good for in between.
1) What bike do you have?
2) What kind of riding do you do?
3) Where are you riding in Canada, or what region?
Old 05-29-20, 07:28 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts

Buy some tubeless tires now, why have another set which you don't want? Maxxis Recon and Continental x-king are good next options
Old 05-29-20, 09:02 PM
Ryder1

Bikes: Evil Following MB, D'back Haanjo, Kona Unit SS

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You didn't mention anything different you want in your next rear tire, so getting another isn't a bad idea. Lighter/faster is nice, but you're not going to find a mountain bike tire that's too much lighter/faster, the Fast Track is designed to go fast. The usual spec on that bike, per Spesh website, has a Ground Control 2.3 in back instead, which is a bit grippier, a bit slower. If you like the Fast Track 2.3, stick with it. I wouldn't go wider. 25mm rims like you have (a good spec for that bike) match well to 2.2-2.3 tires, no wider. If you don't have the GRID version, then you probably want to avoid it next time around, since it doesn't sound like you need it (rocks aren't destroying your tires like they do here in rocky Arizona), and it will slow you down a bit.
Old 06-13-23, 12:35 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
Panaracer CG XC or Panaracer DriverPro - The DriverPro's have awesome tread for your use and the option to go tubeless down the road if you so wish. Panaracer tires are excellent quality (in my experience) and made in Japan. Your LBS should be able to order. I would run exclusively Panaracer tires based on my experience with them but they have limited options in the PLUS/FAT range of casing sizing so my next tires would likely be Maxxis or WTB.

I have had a few sets of Specialized tires, not the ones you're running, and I find them to be excellent compared to others as well so can't go wrong with direct replacement either!
Here is a review of the DriverPro tires. Note they are actually made in China not Japan. Wide, low pressure gravel bike tires for Rough Terrain with Poseidon Redwood and Panaracer DriverPro
Old 06-13-23, 07:47 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Always a loaded question and you'll get a dozen or more options to choose from after everyone posts "their" favorite tire.

I use Bontrager XR2 in back and XR4 in front. But that's my preference after experimenting with different tires over the years.
Old 06-13-23, 11:55 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Hey folks keep in mind this is a three year old thread and the OP never came back in the thread once to clarify anything.
Old 06-13-23, 12:23 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Hey folks keep in mind this is a three year old thread and the OP never came back in the thread once to clarify anything.
That happens a lot around here.
Likes For prj71: