Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking to do something fun with my 25yo Raleigh hardtail

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 08:00 PM
Blackfox918

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just pulled my first adult bike out of storage after about 15 years. It’s a 1995 Raleigh M80, stock except for the tires and saddle. I really like this bike and I’m interested in doing something fun with it that will result in a usable bike for years to come.

I have two young boys who are just getting into riding and, more than anything, I want something I can tool around the neighborhood on with them.

Three considerations:

1. I’m a pretty huge guy. 6’8” and 300 lbs. One of the things I’ve always loved about the bike is how solid the frame and wheels have always been for me.

2. The area I live in is pretty hilly, so while the idea of a single speed grown-up bmx bike sounds fun, I’d probably be better off with some gearing help.

3. I’d like to do the work myself at home and for a budget of around $300.

Any ideas about how to turn this beloved old tank into a fun neighborhood bike? Any decent group sets that I should be looking for in my price range that would swap in easy? I see that a single chainring is the norm now. Will that pose a problem if I try to replace the current triple ring/7 speed cassette setup? What about the Rock Shox fork? Try to refurb it or look for a steel fork instead?

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
Old 05-21-20, 07:21 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
What's wrong with the bike now? I'd pump up the tires and lube the chain then give it a ride around the block if it's capable to see what needs work.
Report back and we'll try to help you. Pictures will help to quicker explain the problems. Good luck and kudos for getting out with the kids
Old 05-21-20, 08:05 PM
Blackfox918

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing's wrong with the bike, per se. I just assumed that there were some relatively easy upgrades available that could improve the ride experience. I have a road bike that gets the majority of my use, but it’s not particularly easy to hop on and ride endless circles around the cul-de-sac on.

It also sounds like a great excuse for me to learn a bit about bike maintenance.

I already expect that a never-serviced 1995 Rockshox with a threaded steering tube is going to be an issue--though when I test rode it, I didn't notice anything that seemed out of order.

Photos to come as soon as my 10 post requirement is met.
Old 05-22-20, 03:48 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Blackfox918
Nothing's wrong with the bike, per se. I just assumed that there were some relatively easy upgrades available that could improve the ride experience. I have a road bike that gets the majority of my use, but it’s not particularly easy to hop on and ride endless circles around the cul-de-sac on.

It also sounds like a great excuse for me to learn a bit about bike maintenance.

I already expect that a never-serviced 1995 Rockshox with a threaded steering tube is going to be an issue--though when I test rode it, I didn't notice anything that seemed out of order.

Photos to come as soon as my 10 post requirement is met.
how are your tires? and brakes, those are the two I suggest first. The fork may be serviceable, I haven't check which on it is. But old fork are often not worth the effort.
Old 05-22-20, 03:50 PM
qclabrat

helping with the ten limit replies...
Strip the bike down and rebuild if you want experience.
Don't need to go nuts and take apart everything, but the bottom bracket, hubs and headset could probably use some grease
Old 05-22-20, 04:35 PM
Blackfox918

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It seems to be a hodgepodge of components. Grip-shift shifters. The brake levers are unmarked but the brake arms are Alivio (as are the hubs). The front derailer is a Deore LX, and the rear is just marked Shimano STX.

I’ve already pulled everything apart and started the cleaning process. Pretty gunky all around but, surprisingly, nothing looks to be completely trashed.
Old 05-22-20, 04:36 PM
Blackfox918

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qclabrat
how are your tires? and brakes.
I’m sure the tires are dry rotted, and the brake pads are original to the bike, so… Those will definitely be replaced!
Old 05-22-20, 08:13 PM
Blackfox918

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Photos!

Old 05-22-20, 10:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Check the back of your cranks, if they say ct90, m290, or mc12 take them to the local bike shop and have them sent back to shimano for a recall, the recall is still valid and will get you a box of parts with a chain, crank, bb and front der; your crank looks like the right style to be recalled. Depending on the shop they should install the parts for you no charge as shimano does give them a payment along with the box to cover the cost. If you bring them the cranks they should just hand you the box of parts since shimano just pays them either way. Can't tell for certain yours is one of the cranks but they look it.

Personally I'd just replace the tires for something smoother and the brake pads for something stickier and call it a day. The M80 was a good mid-range bike that did ok, I owned an m400 which is what it became when it switched to aluminum frame and a few years later went back to being an m80, don't know why. It isn't an impressive bike but comfortable, reliable and a bike worth riding and making changes to match the riding your doing but nothing worth upgrading and at this point old enough that if you want more then you should just buy better.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-23-20, 12:20 AM
Blackfox918

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Check the back of your cranks, if they say ct90, m290, or mc12 take them to the local bike shop and have them sent back to shimano for a recall.
Well look at that...
What an unexpected surprise. Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-23-20, 06:11 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Here's the link on Shimano's website showing it's still current
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...12-cranks.html
the lbs needed proof before calling it in for me.