Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Every cyclist needs to watch this.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Every cyclist needs to watch this.

Old 06-10-20, 11:55 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Not a fan of the walking selfie trend, and can I see your eyes when you talking at me.
Old 06-10-20, 11:56 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
The issue is that for us experienced cyclists, if someone says something like “your fit is totally off” or “wear your helmet right” or “you need to get yourself a real bike”, we’re confident enough in ourselves to brush that person off with a laugh.

For a new cyclist, they may see that person as an authority figure and take it to heart. Even minor things.
If I see someone who I think needs some "instruction" I usually do it in the form of a question. As in...Have you ever thought about raising your seat height a bit? I did that and I got some extra power from my pedal stroke. In my experience most veteran cyclists are not dicks. They just try to help.

Last edited by bruce19; 06-10-20 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-10-20, 01:53 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The part that goes “the female cyclists don’t need a push” might seem like it doesn’t need to be said...

but I saw this happen to a BRAND new female cyclist right before my eyes. I was so shocked, and I had no clue what to do. He sped away before we could say anything.

It should be obvious to everyone that none of these guys actually think these women need a push...
Just like Bernard Hinault didn't "need" a push from Greg Lemond in 1985, right?
Old 06-10-20, 03:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've been mostly successful in keeping my unsolicited advice to myself. I agree with PG that an open skewer needs to be addressed. I also have pointed out (gently, I hope) to a rider that he had his helmet on backwards. He looked like he was going to choke himself, and it wouldn't have provided much protection in a fall.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-11-20, 11:01 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I've been mostly successful in keeping my unsolicited advice to myself. I agree with PG that an open skewer needs to be addressed. I also have pointed out (gently, I hope) to a rider that he had his helmet on backwards. He looked like he was going to choke himself, and it wouldn't have provided much protection in a fall.
Slightly different than just telling someone their helmet sucks or something.
Likes For CyclingFever:
Old 06-11-20, 11:03 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by CyclingFever
Slightly different than just telling someone their helmet sucks or something.
Yeah. Really trying to limit it to imminent threats to safety.
Old 06-11-20, 11:31 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Haha yeah I'd feel somewhat responsible if I saw some wearing the helmet backwards and I didn't say anything and they got in a bad wreck.
Old 06-11-20, 11:42 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Somewhere in his voluminous web presence, Sheldon Brown once wrote about the derogatory term "Fred." He didn't use the term, didn't like it, because all cyclists were his friends.

It's a good attitude.
Freds are friends, not food.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 06-11-20, 11:45 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
The part that goes “the female cyclists don’t need a push” might seem like it doesn’t need to be said...

but I saw this happen to a BRAND new female cyclist right before my eyes. I was so shocked, and I had no clue what to do. He sped away before we could say anything.

It should be obvious to everyone that none of these guys actually think these women need a push. We were hustling at like 20mph on a flat. It’s so gross. And sad.
I've heard this mentioned before, but am confused as to what it means.

Would you mind explaining to me?
Old 06-11-20, 11:57 AM
caloso

Originally Posted by Ross520

Sometimes a rider will literally push another rider forward. Usually it's done with a teammate and it can be a welcome assist in a race situation. Non-racers see it done on TV and think that it looks pro. But other than that extremely limited situation, just don't push another rider. Just don't.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-11-20, 12:00 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520

Some cyclists (particularly older men) like to touch girls’ butts and use “I was trying to help” as an excuse.

You do see some people getting pushed once in a while, but it’s rarely done via the butt. Usually the back or the back edge of the saddle. And it’s usually between people who are very comfortable with each other.

Good rule of thumb is, if you’re not willing to touch that person there off the bike (and face the consequences), you shouldn’t do it on the bike.

That isn’t to say a bit of horseplay doesn’t make biking a lot of fun. I remember one time my teammate who weighs 40lbs more than me sprinted up to my side and surprised me with a full on shove when I was going like 25mph. But he knew my handling ability and my comfort level so it was all in good fun
Old 06-11-20, 12:25 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Some cyclists (particularly older men) like to touch girls’ butts and use “I was trying to help” as an excuse.

You do see some people getting pushed once in a while, but it’s rarely done via the butt. Usually the back or the back edge of the saddle. And it’s usually between people who are very comfortable with each other.

Good rule of thumb is, if you’re not willing to touch that person there off the bike (and face the consequences), you shouldn’t do it on the bike.

That isn’t to say a bit of horseplay doesn’t make biking a lot of fun. I remember one time my teammate who weighs 40lbs more than me sprinted up to my side and surprised me with a full on shove when I was going like 25mph. But he knew my handling ability and my comfort level so it was all in good fun
Wow... Completely unacceptable.
Old 06-11-20, 12:33 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
It will take schools letting kids ride bikes to the school that will keep it going... but right now, kids are at home, parents are taking them on rides... and yeah, some will become "addicted." I have to look back at my own history and note that of the 5 kids in my family... I am the only cyclist. But I have been doing it since I was a kid. I am an old man today. "Geezer fred."
Old 06-11-20, 03:14 PM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Originally Posted by genec
It will take schools letting kids ride bikes to the school that will keep it going... but right now, kids are at home, parents are taking them on rides... and yeah, some will become "addicted." I have to look back at my own history and note that of the 5 kids in my family... I am the only cyclist. But I have been doing it since I was a kid. I am an old man today. "Geezer fred."
A lot of kids ride around my neighborhood "unsupervised". I am thankful I live in a community that still encourages outdoor recreation
Old 06-11-20, 10:13 PM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Until it becomes like Nerd or Redneck. Now embraced as a cool thing to be.
My name is Hillyman and I"m a Fred. Always have been, always will be. So was Sheldon. Seen pics of him and his bikes?
I like the thing on his hat
Old 06-11-20, 10:15 PM
southpier

… I remember one time my teammate who weighs 40lbs more than me sprinted up to my side and surprised me with a full on shove when I was going like 25mph. But he knew my handling ability and my comfort level so it was all in good fun
sounds more like a jackass to me. was there towel snapping in the locker room after the Big Race, too?
Old 06-11-20, 10:19 PM
southpier

Originally Posted by LSUFANDAN
I just bought a 2021 Spealized Diverge Comp Carbon and Im rocking jogging shoes with flat pedals lol. Not ready for clipless yet. Only had one person call me a newb.
I've been through toe clips, cleats, & toe clips again. at this point in life if there's a "situation", I just want to be thrown clear.
Old 06-11-20, 11:14 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by southpier
sounds more like a jackass to me. was there towel snapping in the locker room after the Big Race, too?
This obviously wasn’t in a race. It was a fairly empty road where there wasn’t much risk. Our team frequently screwed around like this. Good training for race day.
Old 06-14-20, 11:22 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I'll just leave this here...
In the United States, bicycle aisles at mass merchandisers like Walmart and Target have been swept clean, and independent shops are doing a brisk business and are selling out of affordable "family" bikes.

Bicycle sales over the past two months saw their biggest spike in the U.S. since the oil crisis of the 1970s, said Jay Townley, who analyzes cycling industry trends at Human Powered Solutions.

"People quite frankly have panicked, and they're buying bikes like toilet paper," Townley said, referring to the rush to buy essentials like toilet paper and hand sanitizer that stores saw at the beginning of the pandemic.

The trend is mirrored around the globe, as cities better known for car-clogged streets, like Manila and Rome, install bike lanes to accommodate surging interest in cycling while public transport remains curtailed. In London, municipal authorities plan to go further by banning cars from some central thoroughfares.
https://techxplore.com/news/2020-06-...age-world.html
Old 06-14-20, 03:02 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I appreciate what he's trying to do there, but honestly I found it rather sappy. It's such a snowflake era we're living in now.
A snowflake is a unique and beautiful thing.
This obviously wasn’t in a race. It was a fairly empty road where there wasn’t much risk. Our team frequently screwed around like this. Good training for race day.
When I was racing pushing another rider was against the rules unless you are in a Madison race.
Old 06-14-20, 03:12 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN16S2IJ
Old 06-14-20, 03:53 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by venturi95

When I was racing pushing another rider was against the rules unless you are in a Madison race.
I don’t mean a forward push to boost someone. I mean a lateral shove to knock someone off their line.

People get bumped pretty often in races. In one race, I was drafting my considerably large teammate and I had to fight the entire time for his wheel. Tons of elbowing, right until the final 200m.
Old 06-14-20, 04:28 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
I have been absolutely crucified for telling a rider their QRs were open. Also have learned that a substantial portion of the “old school” are going to use their QR as a wingnut and will not ever learn. Have also been crucified for telling a rider the brake cable was not connected.

As for offering advice on saddle height. My observation is that the new people are riding just fine. It is the enthusiasts who sit so darn high they cannot ride a straight line and look like they are about to fly off the bike to either side as their hips and bikes sway in the wind up there. Saying anything to them is hopeless and useless.

Phil, take off the glasses and look at us. If you are growing a beard and still making videos, OK. But the Hollywood razor and always two, three, five days of growth is for dopes.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 06-15-20, 08:27 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
The only thing I disagreed with is the helmet thing. I always shake my head when I see someone not wearing a helmet, but I always keep it to myself. What I REALLY don't understand is what I saw yesterday. A guy riding with two friends. The friends were in street clothes, wearing helmets, he was in street clothes but also wearing a hi-vis vest, and no helmet. I don't get that.
Likes For ririder:
Old 06-15-20, 10:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
I can still pass most MAMIL's while wearing regular clothes on my hybrid. Granted, at 39 I'm not yet middle aged by most standards, so there's that advantage.
I'm 59, and I'm damn fast in my tee shirts and cargo pants, and I really like the extra pockets. I used to be fast on my hybrid, now I'm fast on my old road bikes.

P.S. I'm allergic to latex, and I don't mean that metaphorically.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.