Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Singlespeeders who live in hilly regions - what are you thinking?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-20, 09:16 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I currently have two bikes, a "modern" 1x11 gravel rig, and, a single speed cross bike. I live at the base of the mountains and it's by most people's assessments, NOT singlespeed country. Yet, I ride the ss everywhere I ride the geared bike. I just pick based on my mood that day as far as what kind of workout and ride I'm down for. Ultimately, if I could only have one bike, it would be the singlespeed. My friends in the area mostly think I'm nuts. And, I'm a geezer at 60 yrs old (but I won't care about that until I need to...)
Just curious, do you live in a "climby" locale yet still go for the ss over gears given the option?
Old 09-03-20, 11:10 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
When I lived in LA I would take my fixed gear out to some pretty decent climbs -- not the big mountain road climbs but Chevy Chase, Griffith Park, etc. They were hard as hell but it was fun as hell too.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 09-04-20, 01:37 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by seau grateau
When I lived in LA I would take my fixed gear out to some pretty decent climbs -- not the big mountain road climbs but Chevy Chase, Griffith Park, etc. They were hard as hell but it was fun as hell too.
I live right up there where Glendale meets La Canada. Hard not to go "up"!

I guess what I'm getting at is the appeal/allure of singlespeeding outweighs how much harder it can make some rides. I just ride it best I can, and I'm not afraid to walk a little!
Old 09-04-20, 02:38 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I live right up there where Glendale meets La Canada. Hard not to go "up"!

I guess what I'm getting at is the appeal/allure of singlespeeding outweighs how much harder it can make some rides. I just ride it best I can, and I'm not afraid to walk a little!
That's a nice area for riding. I used to live in South Pasadena and would head up that way via the Rose Bowl all the time.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 09-05-20, 02:37 PM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Gear down, that's what I did. I not have a 42+18/20 on my fixed gear. Works great in all but the steepest hills.
Old 09-05-20, 04:25 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm a 60-year-old geezer, too. My SS CX bike with 39 X 17 gets me to the top of pretty much everything in the Texas Hill Country. But honestly, you suffer on climbs no matter how many gears you run.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-05-20, 05:56 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by Rolla
I'm a 60-year-old geezer, too. My SS CX bike with 39 X 17 gets me to the top of pretty much everything in the Texas Hill Country. But honestly, you suffer on climbs no matter how many gears you run.
That's right around the gear inches I'm running on my ss cross bike--I'm in the low 60s with my 42x19. I could almost go lower - I used to have a ss 29'r MTB geared 32x20 which was pretty necessary for the singletrack in the mountains here.
Likes For pbass:
Old 09-14-20, 06:50 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I currently have two bikes, a "modern" 1x11 gravel rig, and, a single speed cross bike. I live at the base of the mountains and it's by most people's assessments, NOT singlespeed country. Yet, I ride the ss everywhere I ride the geared bike. I just pick based on my mood that day as far as what kind of workout and ride I'm down for. Ultimately, if I could only have one bike, it would be the singlespeed. My friends in the area mostly think I'm nuts. And, I'm a geezer at 60 yrs old (but I won't care about that until I need to...)
Just curious, do you live in a "climby" locale yet still go for the ss over gears given the option?
I do and it is difficult to ride single speed. I am very limited as I am surrounded by hills. it beats the hell climbing in 1 gear in bull horns.. I do love the rolling flat areas.
Old 09-14-20, 07:53 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’m about the only regular and frequent rider I see out and about doing rides on the roads and trails on SS. It is challenging and requires a certain level of strength, stamina and attitude, but our hills aren’t very tall. Typically 100 to 150 feet of climb, so it’s just a few minutes of harder work.

So I don’t really gear down much, because we have lots of trail sections that are well suited to SS, and I don’t want to feel too limited on the faster end.

Of course, geared bikes are so much the default now that it’s not surprising that so few folks ride SS. Probably there are many riders here who could ride SS, but never even give it a thought. They just get a reasonable and versatile “modern bike” and get to riding. Which, of course, is just great. 😊

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 09-14-20 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 08:30 AM
crankholio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I had three single speed bikes up until recently, but I just put gears on one of them. It's my neighborhood bike, and I have a lot of hills around here. After needing an ice pack on one of my knees, I decided it was time to give them a break. Love riding SS, but just can't do it as frequently anymore.
Old 09-18-20, 06:21 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I have an extensive mtb trail system 5 minutes up the road that I trail run and bike on a regular basis - it's my after-work go to. It's a sustained 2-3km's access uphill trail and then multiple downhill options. I would usually bomb it on my fat bike but wanted to get into the SS mtb thing so I built a 2x2 SS specifically for it. I love it!

That build thread is here. Since that thread I've only swapped out the narrow bullhorns for the current set up: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...-retrofit.html

It takes all of 20 seconds to flip the bike and swap chain lines. The bike is light and it gives me a chance to catch my breath before going back down. Low chain line for the uphill cardio workout and high chain line for the descent. Just those two gears lets me pedal almost all of the run both up and down (there's a steep section that even many modern geared bikes also get walked up).

FS is better for the harder trails of course but now the rigid SS gives new life to the flowy moderate trails that I tend to like and makes them more challenging. I would definitely say with the 2x2 option, so I don't have to walk up all of the access trails, I'm a SS mtb convert.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-18-20 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-19-20, 08:53 PM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
I live in SE PA and there are hills here. There are only 3 in Montgomery county that I can't climb. I ride 48x18 (70 GI) and I in can do short grades of 10%. A 5% grade I can do all day and usually catch a geared bike or two. I am 62.

At Kolbe's today in Point Pleasant PA. I climbed Point Pleasant Pike hill right after.
Likes For bmwjoe:
Old 10-08-20, 09:26 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
I'm out here in the Pacific Northwest. I'm 60. I do 1400' a day on a 19 mile course everyday. Maybe 80 minutes. The hills are gradual and gentle and they aren't that bad.

Biking takes time from my family and there seems to be an endless array of gadgets knick knacks and repairs and things to learn. Time and money that should be going to family.( And all the headaches I give to readers on the forum.) That's one reason I went to Single Speed.

Last edited by 5 mph; 10-08-20 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-11-20, 01:07 AM
timid_deer

Bikes: Retrospec Harper, 6061 Black Label V2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I commute on my singlespeed as a way to work out a couple times a week. 25ish mile round trip. My coworkers who also bike commute thought i was crazy to choose a singlespeed, but I figured getting more gears would just make it easier for me. Getting my best workout means more to me than efficiency. I do love the two big hills on my commute. The feeling of "thank god, its over" at the top is my favorite part of the whole ride.
Likes For timid_deer:
Old 10-13-20, 07:30 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
what am I thinking? I'm not thinking. that's the point. just pedal from A to B and back to A. when a hill presents itself, pedal harder. no need wasting precious brain power twiddling with derailers. do or do not—there is no try.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 10-13-20, 12:26 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
what am I thinking? I'm not thinking. that's the point. just pedal from A to B and back to A. when a hill presents itself, pedal harder. no need wasting precious brain power twiddling with derailers. do or do not—there is no try.
Yeah, I’ve been back at it again riding only SS for the last two months. I appreciate not having to think. Wind and hills just mean you work harder. I also stand a lot more, up hill and down, and any time I’m coasting. braking or maneuvering a tricky curve which makes it a more weight bearing workout and less time in the saddle.

Otto
Old 10-13-20, 03:35 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
This right here.
Old 10-13-20, 09:33 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Fun ride today. Did some hill work, including climbing three different routes up from below to the basketball arena at the top of the hill.

I rode up 2 1/2 of the routes! The steep one is at least 25% grade. I had to get off and run up the super steep part. Did keep it above 5 mph which is probably what I could manage if I had a low gear to ride. That steep part is pretty short so it’s no big deal to get off and run.

We have a few of those hills here and there that are just too steep for my SS so I just prepare for the run/walk on the steep bit. Around here elevations aren’t huge, so if it’s super steep, it’s gonna be short. Turns out I’ve been riding lately in my current running shoes, so getting off to run up the hill was no problem.

And the other fun thing was the first hilly 7 miles up and down included almost no time in the saddle! Definitely started to feel it after the third climb of that big hill. Took at least a mile on the next flat bit to recover.

Otto
Old 10-14-20, 10:20 PM
duuuuuuuuuug

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Vancouver, BC, where we have a lot of shoreline at sea level, and a lot of higher ground. I just look at it as an opportunity to build leg strength since my gym closed and I can't do squats haha
Old 10-24-20, 10:54 AM
GregLast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I only have one bike that's rideable right now, and it's my single speed. I just messed with different gearing until I found the one that worked best for speed vs. effort. I like to push myself a little, so it's a little higher to give me some work to do. It changes as I get stronger, or ride less and get a little weaker.
Old 10-24-20, 02:41 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

So what I’m thinking now is that the MTB may shift to 42/17 instead of 42/16. I put on the bigger, slightly slower Race King tires which bumped me up to over 69 gear inches.

UPDATE: I tried it for a few rides, but switched back to 42/16, which seems the better choice overall. No harm in checking.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 10-29-20 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-25-20, 04:02 PM
roka

Bikes: Moulton SST Alfine 11, Bianchi Pista, Surly Cross-Check Alfine 11, Brompton Electric M6R, Priority Brilliant L Train 8 Speed Disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
I live in the northeast area of the Phoenix, AZ metro area, NE Mesa to be specific. Heading north or east from home is uphill. I ride 20 miles most days on my SS Bianchi Pista. Why do I do it? It’s a GREAT workout and, I’ll admit it, a nice sense of accomplishment when I get to the top. 😁 On days I want an easier ride it’s relatively flat when heading south.

Last edited by roka; 10-25-20 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-26-20, 01:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I have an extensive mtb trail system 5 minutes up the road that I trail run and bike on a regular basis - it's my after-work go to. It's a sustained 2-3km's access uphill trail and then multiple downhill options. I would usually bomb it on my fat bike but wanted to get into the SS mtb thing so I built a 2x2 SS specifically for it. I love it!

That build thread is here. Since that thread I've only swapped out the narrow bullhorns for the current set up: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...-retrofit.html

It takes all of 20 seconds to flip the bike and swap chain lines. The bike is light and it gives me a chance to catch my breath before going back down. Low chain line for the uphill cardio workout and high chain line for the descent. Just those two gears lets me pedal almost all of the run both up and down (there's a steep section that even many modern geared bikes also get walked up).

FS is better for the harder trails of course but now the rigid SS gives new life to the flowy moderate trails that I tend to like and makes them more challenging. I would definitely say with the 2x2 option, so I don't have to walk up all of the access trails, I'm a SS mtb convert.

I don't know if your 11 teeth cog has a smaller internal diameter than a 14 teeth cog does; but if it doesn't then you can use an adjustable cup lockring instead of the cog to hold everything together. That's what i do with single-speeds I build with Uniglide cassette hubs.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-27-20, 11:38 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I don't know if your 11 teeth cog has a smaller internal diameter than a 14 teeth cog does; but if it doesn't then you can use an adjustable cup lockring instead of the cog to hold everything together. That's what i do with single-speeds I build with Uniglide cassette hubs.

Cheers
Do you mean a lockring from a square taper bottom bracket ?

I'm using an 11T cog acting as a butt cap so the lockring on the cassette hub has something to butt against. Otherwise the lockring butts up against the delrin spacers and I fear will crack them.

Eventually I will find some Al tubing in the right diameter and cut spacers as I plan on at least a couple more 2x2 builds.

How does the threaded cup lockring work on a cassette?
Old 10-27-20, 04:23 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Do you mean a lockring from a square taper bottom bracket ?

I'm using an 11T cog acting as a butt cap so the lockring on the cassette hub has something to butt against. Otherwise the lockring butts up against the delrin spacers and I fear will crack them.

Eventually I will find some Al tubing in the right diameter and cut spacers as I plan on at least a couple more 2x2 builds.

How does the threaded cup lockring work on a cassette?
Yes, I mean a lockring from a square taper bottom bracket adjustable cup. However, in your case it might not work if the internal diameter of the 11 teeth cog is smaller than that of a 14 teeth cog.

I don't use anything to protect the Delrin cog spacers and I've yet to break one of them in use once the lockring is snugged up against them.

The bike that I just built as a single speed has a cheap lockring holding the spacers and cog in place. I'm putting a better looking lockring on later. Here are two images of that setup.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.