Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1973 Fuji Special Road Racer Project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1973 Fuji Special Road Racer Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-20, 06:15 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by JulianS10
Hello,

I'm currently looking to replace by BB but running against the 70mm shell issue… here you mention that: "So I got my LBS to face the housing down to 68mm so I could put a new shimano bottom bracket" – would you mind specifying what kind of tool where you using to fit the 68mm axle? Is it difficult to do?

I'm aiming at converting my special road racer into a single speed, something lighter to use in the city, and in that conversion I'm looking at shorter axles but most come in 68mm it seems. I'm new to all of this, so any help/tips more than welcome!
The LBS will use a big (BIG) dollar tool to remove 2mm from the bb shell (should be 1mm each side to keep things symmetrical), It is not that difficult to do but you don't want to buy the tool.

If you have a Dremel or similar and your crank arm (either one) has a flat face parallel to the bb cup you can mount the Dremel with a cutoff wheel on the crank arm and take a few passes until you have a slot almost through to the threads. Then you take everything off and out, knock the cut bit off and tidy up with a hand file.
Old 10-05-20, 09:48 AM
JulianS10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
The LBS will use a big (BIG) dollar tool to remove 2mm from the bb shell (should be 1mm each side to keep things symmetrical), It is not that difficult to do but you don't want to buy the tool.

If you have a Dremel or similar and your crank arm (either one) has a flat face parallel to the bb cup you can mount the Dremel with a cutoff wheel on the crank arm and take a few passes until you have a slot almost through to the threads. Then you take everything off and out, knock the cut bit off and tidy up with a hand file.
Thank you for this info! I don't have a dremel and the process seems a bit too complex for my inexperience, I'm afraid to ruin the thread. I think I'll stick to finding a 70mm spindle with English cups, such a strange combination… I think I saw posts in this forum about people converting their Fuji 10 speeds into fixies or single speeds, I'll check if more came across this issue.
Old 10-05-20, 09:59 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Hello,

I'm currently looking to replace by BB but running against the 70mm shell issue… here you mention that: "So I got my LBS to face the housing down to 68mm so I could put a new shimano bottom bracket" – would you mind specifying what kind of tool where you using to fit the 68mm axle? Is it difficult to do?

I'm aiming at converting my special road racer into a single speed, something lighter to use in the city, and in that conversion I'm looking at shorter axles but most come in 68mm it seems. I'm new to all of this, so any help/tips more than welcome!
What bike do you have?
Old 10-05-20, 10:02 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Originally Posted by oneclick

Yes, a BB facing tool is expensive, but before he starts hacking away, possibly destroying the BB shell, shouldn't we try to help him find a BB that fits his bike and crank?
Old 10-05-20, 11:01 AM
JulianS10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, I'd very much appreciate all help/info I can get! I have a Special Road Racer/S10-S. Due to Covid-19 related issues, I''m unfortunately away from home and the bike, so I can't take apart the BB to figure out exact measurements. I checked a while back on the serial n database and it's a 72 or 73, can't remember precisely. It has the same Sugino Maxy crankset this bike did, so I'm assuming the BB is also a 70mm with English cups.

What I'm hoping to do is either switch to a single chainring and cog, or if I can't find the proper chainring for the Maxy (looking for something around 44-46T), then change the crankset. Here is where I don't know enough to make an informed decision… should I keep the original BB (and chain line) and switch to a single Sugino crankset, or should I change both? I was looking for Sugino BBs and cranks since that's the brand Fuji used, but I'm running into the issue that most BBs for shorter chainlines are 68mm, or if 70mm then italian cups instead of english.

I'm completely open to look into other options if you have suggestions. I am trying to keep as close as possible to the original style/look though

Thanks again!
Old 10-06-20, 07:19 AM
branko_76 

Thank you, I'd very much appreciate all help/info I can get! I have a Special Road Racer/S10-S. Due to Covid-19 related issues, I''m unfortunately away from home and the bike, so I can't take apart the BB to figure out exact measurements. I checked a while back on the serial n database and it's a 72 or 73, can't remember precisely. It has the same Sugino Maxy crankset this bike did, so I'm assuming the BB is also a 70mm with English cups.

What I'm hoping to do is either switch to a single chainring and cog, or if I can't find the proper chainring for the Maxy (looking for something around 44-46T), then change the crankset. Here is where I don't know enough to make an informed decision… should I keep the original BB (and chain line) and switch to a single Sugino crankset, or should I change both? I was looking for Sugino BBs and cranks since that's the brand Fuji used, but I'm running into the issue that most BBs for shorter chainlines are 68mm, or if 70mm then italian cups instead of english.
Keeping the crank and bottom bracket and replacing the chainring is the more sensible approach. Can you measure the center to center distance between two adjacent chainring bolts? This will give us an idea of the BCD (bolt circle diameter) of the crank.
Old 10-07-20, 05:12 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
The Maxy crank is limited in that the big ring is swaged onto the crank arm. Not changable!
Old 10-07-20, 08:09 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
The Maxy crank is limited in that the big ring is swaged onto the crank arm. Not changable!
not all Maxy's

VeloBase.com - Component: Sugino Maxy (5-Arm)