Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

On Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-20, 01:45 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
On Time

So I finally got all the clocks synced to daylight savings. That's four clocks to deal with. It is a mystery to me how the human race got along for some 10s of thousands of years with no clocks whatsoever but us moderns have them at every turn. We need them for navigation but the people of Oceana criss-crossed the Pacific, populating hundreds of islands with no clocks at all. Somehow they always knew where they were, like salmon, or ducks or geese and other migrating creatures. I'm working on the theory that clocks just serve to speed us up with the consequence that we no longer pay much attention to surroundings. Just getting rid of all my clocks will save some anxiety about being late. Maybe that should be no new years resolution, "don't worry; take your time; get there when you get there".

Something similar can be said about telephones. People used to conduct worldwide enterprises before phones. All it took was to plan ahead. Now we like to be quick on the uptake, think on our feet and the consequences of that is what we see.
Old 11-05-20, 01:59 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Call me recluse.
There are periods of time - a few days at most - where i turn off the phone + computer.

Possibly due to my years of wilderness backpacking.
Or my tendency (from childhood) to go run and hide when Mom or Dad called.

Retired and stable should permit those inclined some Downtime, not Wastedtime for some of us.

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-05-20 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-05-20, 02:15 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Nothing like using a computer to complain on a website about clocks and being nostalgic for a time hundreds of years ago.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-05-20, 02:38 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
So I finally got all the clocks synced to daylight savings.... " That's four clocks to deal with. It is a mystery to me how the human race got along for some 10s of thousands of years with no clocks whatsoever but us moderns have them at every turn. We need them for navigation but the people of Oceana criss-crossed the Pacific, populating hundreds of islands with no clocks at all. Somehow they always knew where they were, like salmon, or ducks or geese and other migrating creatures. I'm working on the theory that clocks just serve to speed us up with the consequence that we no longer pay much attention to surroundings. Just getting rid of all my clocks will save some anxiety about being late. Maybe that should be no new years resolution, "don't worry; take your time; get there when you get there".

Something similar can be said about telephones. People used to conduct worldwide enterprises before phones. All it took was to plan ahead. Now we like to be quick on the uptake, think on our feet and the consequences of that is what we see.
Mine are synced to EST right now. Did I miss something?
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 11-05-20, 03:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Did I miss something?
Just some reminiscing about the good ole days where we single out a simpler concept and romanticize that everything was so much better back then... Ignoring all the bad stuff.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-05-20 at 03:15 PM. Reason: remove an 'i' from where it should not be.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-05-20, 03:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We are all guilty. "You are punished, therefore you are guilty."
Old 11-05-20, 03:12 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Microwave, Stove, Kitchen analog clock, Car, X10 lighting timer in living room, Thermostat on 1st floor, Thermostat on 2nd floor, My alarm clock,. 8 so far.
Old 11-05-20, 03:26 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Microwave, Stove, Kitchen analog clock, Car, X10 lighting timer in living room, Thermostat on 1st floor, Thermostat on 2nd floor, My alarm clock,. 8 so far.
Thanks Steve.I had forgotten the thermostat.
Old 11-05-20, 04:18 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Thanks Steve.I had forgotten the thermostat.
It used to include any and all cycling computers that gave you the time. I think I had like 5 Cateye's that had this and all needed their time changed, or not. I think after a while I just skipped it as the Cateye instructions were impossible. Now it's just one GPS that gets it's time from the satellites.
Old 11-05-20, 04:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,211 Posts
My wired cycle computers have the least accurate time keeping of any watch or clock I deal with. So changing between daylight and standard time is easy: I ignore it until the battery runs down. Usually have to mess with it once every couple years.
Old 11-06-20, 05:24 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Much like for those annoying Check Engine Light or Low Toner Indicators, there is an inexpensive solution for those blinking time displays:

Likes For jpescatore:
Old 11-07-20, 12:54 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I guess I should consider myself lucky as I only have 4 clocks. Actually just 3 as the one on the bike I'll leave alone.
Old 11-08-20, 11:29 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I found another clock......it’s on the controls for the irrigation system for my yard!
Old 11-08-20, 12:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Don't forget any digital cameras you might still use that aren't also your phone.
Old 11-08-20, 12:45 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Good case for having IOT on everything. Or radio sync at least. No more setting of clocks even though it only takes a look on your computer or phone to get the precise time and set everything after that.
I do believe I have some old alarm clock (digital) that uses a transmitter in Germany or something to stay synced to the time zone - summer and winter. It is packed away somewhere, and I doubt I will ever use it again.
Old 11-08-20, 08:45 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Good case for having IOT on everything. Or radio sync at least. No more setting of clocks even though it only takes a look on your computer or phone to get the precise time and set everything after that.
I do believe I have some old alarm clock (digital) that uses a transmitter in Germany or something to stay synced to the time zone - summer and winter. It is packed away somewhere, and I doubt I will ever use it again.
i have an electric tooth brush. my wife bought it so i have to use it. i don't want my tooth brush on the internet, to tell me what? that i need tooth paste? i can figure that out on my own.

i so much would rather stop dicking around with clocks and just leave them alone. i think that idea is finally catching on. could be wrong but i think most lands in the world don't do this.
Old 11-08-20, 08:52 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by spelger
i have an electric tooth brush. my wife bought it so i have to use it. i don't want my tooth brush on the internet, to tell me what? that i need tooth paste? i can figure that out on my own.

i so much would rather stop dicking around with clocks and just leave them alone. i think that idea is finally catching on. could be wrong but i think most lands in the world don't do this.
I meant that it would allow your clocks to sync the time over the internet. I don't actually want everything connected to the internet. But it would mean the apparently tough chore of setting some clocks would be unnecessary.
Old 11-09-20, 01:24 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Live in Hawaii, so no clock issues, but I have to get used to that things on the mainland now are one hour later.

scott s.
Old 11-13-20, 12:04 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
It was fun (not) when Europe changed about a week before us. Scheduling meetings with my coworkers over there was confusing as heck until it settled out. Then there's India that doesn't change. Here on the west coast it seems we might stop the madness soon.
Old 11-13-20, 07:04 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've found that all of the extraneous clocks are easy to ignore and there are no drawbacks to simply never setting them.

Having a device connected to the internet just to set time is silly. If a device does it other than as a powerup sequence, then dropping the connection, that's just lazy design or fuzzy thinking IMO.
Old 11-13-20, 07:11 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I wasn't being serious with connecting everything to the internet. It was sarcasm because people found it such a chore to set a few clocks.
Throw most of the clocks out if you have so many of them you find it difficult to find the time to set them back or forward an hour.
Old 11-13-20, 07:13 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Old 11-13-20, 07:40 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
It was fun (not) when Europe changed about a week before us. Scheduling meetings with my coworkers over there was confusing as heck until it settled out. Then there's India that doesn't change. Here on the west coast it seems we might stop the madness soon.
Even more confusing is that India is on the half-hour. Plus it was 10.5 hours, but I never remembered which way so I was frequently 3 hours off from time at home when I was in India on business. I gave up and just started asking the locals since they were used to it. I was in Shanghai more recently and that is easy because it is 12 hours.

When working with Italy, the Italians would always remind us that it was 5 hours different during that week, but just one week.
Old 11-13-20, 08:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Yes, we should have the clocks on our phones disconnected from the network time so we can set them manually! Having them connected to the internet just to set the time is silly. That'll show 'em how we don't need tech in our everyday lives. <grin><sarcasm>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-13-20, 06:35 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by jppe
I found another clock......it’s on the controls for the irrigation system for my yard!
Living in the NE USA, my sprinkler and HVAC systems get powered down in Oct., not to get used again till maybe mid May, thus I don’t have to change those 2 timers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.