Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Question about clipless pedals.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Question about clipless pedals.

Old 01-29-21, 04:24 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How long are your cranks? I encountered that issue after I had my broken fenur repaired. The solution for me has been 165mm crankarms to reduce the required range of motion.
I have to say that I have ridden my gravel bike and then my Hybrid and there is a very real difference. The length of the cranks was brought up on more than one of the articles about knee issues so I looked at my two bikes. The gravel bike, the bike I found to cause little issue with my knees, have 172.5 and the Hybrid, the bike that I have found to give me more pronounced issues, have 175 cranks. I am looking into 170's for my hybrid in the Shimano 105 line and a new bb. When the gravel bike bb dies I would swap to 170 if it proved to be better outcome on the hybrid. Thinking this is a more important move first then worry about moving to clipless. I am flying blind here and just trying to make moves that are not a waste of money or not any benefit. I feel the crank length would be a positive or neutral move either way. Very confusing when I read the articles written by the "experts" with so many contributing possibilities.
Thank you and all of the posters that have taken time to help me.
Frank.
Old 01-29-21, 08:04 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
I have crashed twice in the last six years (low-speed/no damage to me or the bike), both times because I was riding clipless at slow speed and didn't get my feet out of the pedals quickly enough. Hence, I no longer ride clipless, nor do I fall over.

Likes For decotriumph:
Old 01-29-21, 08:41 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by decotriumph
I have crashed twice in the last six years (low-speed/no damage to me or the bike), both times because I was riding clipless at slow speed and didn't get my feet out of the pedals quickly enough
Only happened 2x in 6 years, no damage to you or the bike, going slow and couldn't get un-clipped fast enough.
Sounds more like a brain-fart vs a crash....no disrespect intended.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 01-30-21, 09:57 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Only happened 2x in 6 years, no damage to you or the bike, going slow and couldn't get un-clipped fast enough.
Sounds more like a brain-fart vs a crash....no disrespect intended.
I fell at slow speed using the cages as I could not get my foot out fast enough. Scratches to my bike and ego but nothing important.
Thanks again to all that have posted. Much appreciated.
Frank.
Old 01-31-21, 09:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by decotriumph
I have crashed twice in the last six years (low-speed/no damage to me or the bike), both times because I was riding clipless at slow speed and didn't get my feet out of the pedals quickly enough. Hence, I no longer ride clipless, nor do I fall over.
Not a problem if you ride a trike like I do most of the time.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-01-21, 02:48 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
I have a stash of SPD-LS pedals that need to moved on. I ended up using Keo's with 4* float.

If you can't get your feet OFF the pedal fast enough then it is likely you didn't think about what you were going to do next and the adjustment for retention is too high. Adjust for super easy release until you are comfortable with using the pedals.

There are lots of pedals for sale on CL for under $30, just need the shoes and cleats. Go low on pedals and high on shoes.
Old 02-04-21, 11:44 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Used Look delta pedals sell (around Seattle) for $20-25.
Cleats with float, new from China, about $7.
Old 02-07-21, 08:12 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
I have arthritis in my knees and a torn meniscus knee injury in my youth before they got good at my type tear. In my 70s without issues I use pedals/cleats with ideally 6º of float, minimum tension on my SPD pedals and on my Crankbrothers cleats 6º of float and a quick release angle of only 10º. No Look or SPD-SL, I need to walk.
Likes For easyupbug: