Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Crit bike build

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Crit bike build

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21, 09:10 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
As for the free lap issue, the rules don't state you only get 1 free lap. You are generally afforded the proper amount of time to get the wheel changed correctly then get back into the field.
The rule is clear. Yes, many officials don't know or don't correctly apply the rules.

3D5. Free Lap Rule. Riders shall normally cover the distance of the race regardless of mishaps and must make up any distance lost on their own ability unless a free lap is granted for mishaps. Unless the official race announcement states that no free laps will be allowed, one free lap may be granted for each mishap subject to the following rules. On courses shorter than 1 km, two free laps may be allowed for a given mishap.
Old 02-12-21, 09:19 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
I’ll say this once. Listen to Psimet. He’s raced crits , and worked with supplying equipment to people racing crits at an elite level for years.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by StanSeven; 02-13-21 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Referenced deleted post
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 02-12-21, 09:24 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
The rule is clear. Yes, many officials don't know or don't correctly apply the rules.

3D5. Free Lap Rule. Riders shall normally cover the distance of the race regardless of mishaps and must make up any distance lost on their own ability unless a free lap is granted for mishaps. Unless the official race announcement states that no free laps will be allowed, one free lap may be granted for each mishap subject to the following rules. On courses shorter than 1 km, two free laps may be allowed for a given mishap.

Yeeeeeeahhhh......
I'm intimately involved in application of free lap rules. Agreed: it is different depending on the official. Luckily when I am working NRS the officials almost always leave it up to me. If I say they need another lap for me to get something done then they usually get it. If I say the mechanical was their own fault then they don't get squat. That said I have told newer racers for years, "STOP RUNNING TO THE PITS! Walk with purpose but don't run and be all out of breath. You'll slip and hurt yourself or simply be worn out from the cyclocross workout you just did. Just get to the pit immediately and don't dawdle but Don't Run!"

I love our officials in this are and most of them are total class. They do what's right for the racers. If it's borderline they will extend some grace but then lecture afterwards.

I have a past employee though who has been a Cat 1/2 racer for decades around here. Great guy but he grew up racing locally and everyone has always known him. I put on a "crit" up the side of a ski hill locally. It's the only crit on the calendar with elevation and the closest comparison is Snake Alley in Iowa. This guy isn't exactly a climber. it's not a climb per se but slightly too long for sprinters to just stomp it. Inevitably he will have a "flat" a couple of laps in every year. I or whomever I have working will swap out a wheel without even second guessing it. One time a veteran official who has been a part of the scene for 40 years or so came over. "Rob, put 100 psi in that tire right now and I will come back and check it at the end of the race. If it's not below 80 then I'm taking back his free lap. I've known him since he was a junior." I did it and walked away from the situation after the race while they argued.

Old 02-12-21, 09:31 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Another great memory - Tour of America's Dairyland one of the years right after Superweek died... I was at Downer Ave and enjoying one of the best crit scenes/atmospheres in the country. Pro race starts. So many wrecks but that's not the big part. In that race on that course it's so fast that they are simply strung out and single file pretty much from the gun. There's the "Super Prime" every year and that year it was something ridiculous like $20,000. United Healthcare was on the front and controlling everything and keeping the pace high to keep it clean(er). Couple laps in someone touches wheels about 25% back in the field. Only a couple of guys hit the deck but absolutely everyone from that point back put a foot down and lined up in the pits. If you weren't getting a free lap then your race was just over. It took something like 5 or 6 laps to get everyone back in. They had probably 10-15 people run over to help hold and launch people back in every lap.

Free Laps have their place in maintaining the integrity of the race and it's not always about flats or a wreck.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-12-21, 09:34 AM
asgelle

Originally Posted by Psimet2001

Yeeeeeeahhhh......
I'm intimately involved in application of free lap rules.
As am I currently and formerly as an official. I'm not saying that the rule should be rigidly applied in the case of a mass pile-up; rather, that it's important to know and understand what the rules actually say.

I always make sure there's a pump in the pit and pump up supposedly flat tires. I've had to remove a free lap when the tire didn't go soft. On the other hand, at Tour of the Gila, I once got three free laps in a 15 lap crit (two flats, one crash).
Likes For asgelle:
Old 02-12-21, 09:39 AM
asgelle

Only a couple of guys hit the deck but absolutely everyone from that point back put a foot down and lined up in the pits. If you weren't getting a free lap then your race was just over. It took something like 5 or 6 laps to get everyone back in. They had probably 10-15 people run over to help hold and launch people back in every lap.

Free Laps have their place in maintaining the integrity of the race and it's not always about flats or a wreck.
Without arguing if what happened was right or wrong, as officials we were trained that putting a foot down is not a mishap and doesn't qualify for a free lap. Many times I've seen free laps denied for people who were only held up by the crash. That's why as a racer, I was told by an experienced rider that if I'm ever held up by a crash, rub some dirt on my leg so it will look like I hit the deck.
Old 02-12-21, 09:47 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by asgelle
Without arguing if what happened was right or wrong, as officials we were trained that putting a foot down is not a mishap and doesn't qualify for a free lap. Many times I've seen free laps denied for people who were only held up by the crash. That's why as a racer, I was told by an experienced rider that if I'm ever held up by a crash, rub some dirt on my leg so it will look like I hit the deck.
It became like a drinking game in the pro women's fields a couple of years back to watch the USA Crits feeds and drink when someone was caught on camera doing the "slow fall" to get the free lap. There were some good ones. (Only saying women's field because those were the races we care about the most and watch anyways....but that year in particular a few tops racers we knew were actively complaining about the soccer/football like flop antics).

Old 02-12-21, 10:00 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I will only ever own one road bike, and it is what it is for now.

But, would you crit experts say that if it is going to be a crit bike only that it might be a good place for going 1x? Less hardware, less complexity, less weight, less maintenance marginally. This might impact training rides with hills, but let's ignore that aspect.

What are the opinions on that? I've only raced road. So would be curious of opinions of that from the experienced.
Old 02-12-21, 11:27 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
This makes perfect sense to me as well. Another point: You don't do much shifting in a crit once you get up to speed. If your cornering skills are good you keep you speed up through corners and don't have to shift to get back up to speed. I used to go pretty well on my 20+year old bike with downtube shifters. I hardly ever needed to shift
Downtube shifters may have lost me a sprint once, which made me switch to STI and never look back, but yes you don't need to shift much except for the very beginning and the very end.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
No they're not. If you're not at the front of a crit, it's an accordion at every turn. Yes, you'll be hitting your brakes into each turn and sprinting out of it.
Actually, once you become aware of the accordion effect, you learn how to modulate your speed and anticipate the speed change. If you need anything more than a light tap on your brake, you're wasting more energy than you have to. That being said, I was never one to loosen my front brakes or anything like that. When there is a crash or bonehead maneuver right in front of you, you want them to be there and fully functional.
Old 02-12-21, 11:31 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by burnthesheep

But, would you crit experts say that if it is going to be a crit bike only that it might be a good place for going 1x? Less hardware, less complexity, less weight, less maintenance marginally. This might impact training rides with hills, but let's ignore that aspect.

What are the opinions on that? I've only raced road. So would be curious of opinions of that from the experienced.
Considering how many crits I've raced without ever leaving the big ring, the logic is sound. A weight weenie would especially like the opportunity to shed an entire chainring, derailleur, and cable. I have, however, been in crits with hills long enough to need the little ring. I suppose someone with two bikes would just go ahead and choose the road bike for those rare occasions. Alas, like you, I will probably only ever own one road bike.

Last edited by urbanknight; 02-12-21 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-12-21, 11:40 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Considering how many crits I've raced without ever leaving the big ring, the logic is sound. A weight weenie would especially like the opportunity to shed an entire chainring, derailleur, and cable. I have, however, been in crits with hills long enough to need the little ring. I suppose someone with two bikes would just go ahead and choose the road bike for those rare occasions. Alas, like you, I will probably only ever own one road bike.
Yeah a few guys around here have been running 1x and they love it for crits. I see the logic.

Old 02-12-21, 11:58 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yeah a few guys around here have been running 1x and they love it for crits. I see the logic.
Wasn't that the logic of the Spec. Allez Sprint?
Old 02-12-21, 05:05 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I have done dozens of crits. The other riders are moving at the same speed you are

Yeah? And? They're slowing down and speeding up, too. And shifting to do so.
Old 02-12-21, 05:09 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Not for me. Primarily, because I have to train. Doesn't matter what the actual race is, I can't train in 1x effectively where I live.

I also do one or two races where a little ring is mandatory, like Snake Alley.
Old 02-12-21, 05:11 PM
rubiksoval

Actually, once you become aware of the accordion effect, you learn how to modulate your speed and anticipate the speed change. If you need anything more than a light tap on your brake, you're wasting more energy than you have to. .
While I generally agree in theory, there are crits and times in crits where that just can't happen. Any 80+ person crit is likely going to involve some substantial braking from time to time (or a lot).

Plus crits with 180s and people that don't know how to ride them generally means you're hitting the brakes a lot harder than you would solo.

I don't think I've ever done a decently sized crit where I didn't go from 30 mph to 10 at least a few times...
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-12-21, 05:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
While I generally agree in theory, there are crits and times in crits where that just can't happen. Any 80+ person crit is likely going to involve some substantial braking from time to time (or a lot).

Plus crits with 180s and people that don't know how to ride them generally means you're hitting the brakes a lot harder than you would solo.

I don't think I've ever done a decently sized crit where I didn't go from 30 mph to 10 at least a few times...
Fair enough with the 180's (I hate those), and definitely Cat 5 races because everybody hits their brakes as a knee-jerk reaction. It just seems that the more experienced groups learned how to smoothen it out quite a bit, swinging wide for the turn rather than give up all of their momentum or backing off the pedals a tad early since they know the pack is about to slow down anyway. They also learn how to take the turns faster, but I agree that excludes sharp turns and 180s... ugh, this reminds me of the LA Circuit Race.
Old 02-12-21, 07:26 PM
rubiksoval

Fair enough with the 180's (I hate those), and definitely Cat 5 races because everybody hits their brakes as a knee-jerk reaction. It just seems that the more experienced groups learned how to smoothen it out quite a bit, swinging wide for the turn rather than give up all of their momentum or backing off the pedals a tad early since they know the pack is about to slow down anyway. They also learn how to take the turns faster, but I agree that excludes sharp turns and 180s....
Ah, for my own races, I'm talking about PRT and P/1/2 crits. Still lots of times when the group bunches and everybody slams on the brakes. Just inevitable.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-14-21, 02:09 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have seen a lot of guys around here riding 1x at crits and flat circuit races. I don’t think it is their only bike though. Kenny Williams, who is a beast on the track and the crit. circuit rides a 1x. He is over fifty and can still pull off a win in the 1/2 category.
Old 02-17-21, 08:08 PM
00752904mot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Why in the world do you want disc brakes for a crit? If you touch your brakes in a crit you loose 20 spots, so there’s no advantage. The weight will be a penalty accelerating out of turns, and responding to attacks. And a disc brake bike with thru axle will slow your time getting a wheel change, which depending on where you flat on the course and how long it takes to get back to the pit, could mean not having your wheel change completed as the pack comes around at the end of your free lap.
Thanks for the input! I should have included this in my initial post...
I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada, which will inevitably have many rainy race days. Because of this, I feel like disc brakes can be very beneficial, even if it'll save me from a crash just once. That ONE TIME can save me a lot of money and hours of rehabilitating any injury I may sustain.

Taking that into consideration, would you still recommend using rim brakes in the rain in a number crits? Let me know! Thanks

Last edited by 00752904mot; 02-18-21 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-17-21, 11:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Fair enough with the 180's (I hate those), and definitely Cat 5 races because everybody hits their brakes as a knee-jerk reaction. It just seems that the more experienced groups learned how to smoothen it out quite a bit, swinging wide for the turn rather than give up all of their momentum or backing off the pedals a tad early since they know the pack is about to slow down anyway. They also learn how to take the turns faster, but I agree that excludes sharp turns and 180s... ugh, this reminds me of the LA Circuit Race.
How you doin'? Haven't seen you since I worked on your car. I'm retired now. Are you getting some miles in?
Old 02-18-21, 02:37 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 00752904mot
I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Yearly rainfall is 92 inches, which is double the rest of the "wettest cities in America" (...as per google). Anyway, this means a lot of race days will be wet, even in the summer! Because of this, I feel like disc brakes can be very beneficial, even if it'll save me from a crash just once. That ONE TIME can save me a lot of money and hours of rehabilitating any injury I may sustain.

Taking that into consideration, would you still recommend using rim brakes in the pouring rain in a crit course? Let me know! Thanks
okay I looked it up and it is not. Vancouver BC, but an area on Vancouver Island. According to the article, Vancouver, BC doesn’t make the top 10 of cities with most rainfall in the province.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/c...merica-3094242

Last edited by colnago62; 02-18-21 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-18-21, 12:23 PM
00752904mot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
okay I looked it up and it is not. Vancouver BC, but an area on Vancouver Island. According to the article, Vancouver, BC doesn’t make the top 10 of cities with most rainfall in the province.
"a little to the north, at the base of Grouse Mountain on Redonda Drive in North Vancouver, rain gauges fill much higher. The North Vancouver weather station averages 2522 mm (99 inches)"
^from one of the top results I found on google. I live 2 minutes from the base of Grouse Mountain. Additionally, I was talking about major cities (ie where most of the crit races would occur). That small town that you found on Vancouver Island would not host a crit. I apologize if these stats offend you. I brought up that stat for a talking point in contribution to the general theme of the thread (crit bike build and a number of people are discussing rim vs disc brake). I do not want to dive into a rabbit hole of geographical weather so I will redact those incorrect statistics.

Last edited by 00752904mot; 02-18-21 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-18-21, 01:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by big john
How you doin'? Haven't seen you since I worked on your car. I'm retired now. Are you getting some miles in?
Hey there! Doing ok. Just about stopped exercising completely and gained a lot of weight after having a kid. Trying to get back in shape now. Not racing anymore, that's for sure. Hope you're enjoying retirement with a lot of miles.
Old 02-18-21, 02:20 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Hey there! Doing ok. Just about stopped exercising completely and gained a lot of weight after having a kid. Trying to get back in shape now. Not racing anymore, that's for sure. Hope you're enjoying retirement with a lot of miles.
Riding 4 days per week. Actually rode with Vic last summer. Rarely see him.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-18-21, 02:47 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by 00752904mot
I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada, which will inevitably have many rainy race days. Because of this, I feel like disc brakes can be very beneficial, even if it'll save me from a crash just once. That ONE TIME can save me a lot of money and hours of rehabilitating any injury I may sustain.

Taking that into consideration, would you still recommend using rim brakes in the rain in a number crits? Let me know! Thanks
It doesn't rain much in the summer during racing season and the weekly crits are normally cancelled if it's raining. The local crits are non-technical and braking is almost always light. Discs are a good idea for commuting in the winter as you'll save your rims but for racing or riding in the summer they aren't an advantage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.