Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is my frame safe to ride?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 12:04 AM
Ashloff

Bikes: Trek Slash 7 and kit ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm relatively new to mountain biking and recently purchased a used Trek Slash 7 (small aluminum frame). Unfortunately, I didn't realize the bike has a dent in the underside of the bottom tube until a month after it was purchased.

Now I'm concerned about the structural integrity of the frame. Is this safe to ride? I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs.

view from underside

Also worth noting, there's tape on the top tube for cosmetic reasons, there aren't any dents or dings under it.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-24-21, 07:36 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Aluminum frames with dents can last a life time or fail catastrophically. That dent in your down tube should be looked at by a Trek dealer as it is hard to assess with photos. It appears to be a very small percentage of the tube diameter which is good and no scratch or crack (stress riser) that I can see but a very close inspection is needed as a failure of that tube on a bike like yours which is made for aggressive riding even with a light weight rider could have serious consequences.
Old 02-24-21, 08:09 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Ashloff
I'm relatively new to mountain biking and recently purchased a used Trek Slash 7 (small aluminum frame). Unfortunately, I didn't realize the bike has a dent in the underside of the bottom tube until a month after it was purchased.

Now I'm concerned about the structural integrity of the frame. Is this safe to ride? I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs.

view from underside

Also worth noting, there's tape on the top tube for cosmetic reasons, there aren't any dents or dings under it.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
the down tube is normally under tension, so it’s not going to crumple. Personally I’d have no concerns riding the frame
Likes For Litespud:
Old 02-24-21, 09:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Dents and dings in tubes are just something you take a look at every now and then to be certain nothing bad is going on. Typically you get tired of checking them after ten years or so.
Old 02-24-21, 09:10 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
My eyes see no crease or corner to the dent. That's good as any sharp feature can act as a stress concentrator. But to be sure I suggest you stop riding this frame and send it to me for safe care Andy.
Old 02-24-21, 09:35 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Hard to say for sure from a photo so, as mentioned, take it to a dealer (or two) for an in-the-flesh inspection.
Old 02-24-21, 11:33 PM
Ashloff

Bikes: Trek Slash 7 and kit ebike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I hadn't thought of taking the bike to a dealer as some have mentioned. That's definitely something I'm going to do now. Hope it is nothing serious.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My eyes see no crease or corner to the dent. That's good as any sharp feature can act as a stress concentrator. But to be sure I suggest you stop riding this frame and send it to me for safe care Andy.
Of course! I'll send it your way ASAP. Btw I'm originally from Rochester.
Old 02-24-21, 11:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
As I am also. Andy
Old 02-25-21, 04:46 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
If there are no cracks and considering it's aluminium, it'll be safe to ride.
Old 02-25-21, 10:06 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
keep an eye on it.
Old 02-25-21, 01:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Take it to your dealer have their head tech take a look at it and keep an eye on the dent. I personally wouldn't want to ride dented aluminum but I don't really care to ride undented aluminum so...