Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for the easiest possible century route in the southwest US

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-03-21, 04:17 PM
trevorjfitz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[Repost from the Long Distance/Endurance Cycling forum--hoping for some more ideas]

My eight-year-old has set a lofty goal of riding a century--my dad and I will ride with him. Over the past year he's done a couple of 50 miler's and can't seem to get enough. Seems with a reasonable training plan and a little help from me it may actually be possible for him. He's a couple weeks into preparations and I'm struggling to plan a good route for him--I could use some help.

I'm hopeful someone can suggest a route with the following characteristics:
  • start of ride is within a day's drive of southern CA (Orange County area) -- nor cal, AZ, NV, southern UT all seem reasonable
  • minimal elevation gain, an average descent ideal--starting at a high elevation is ideal as long as the road is...
  • safe--he has surprisingly mature road sense but I'm confident fatigue will challenge his mental acuity; dedicated bike trails, low traffic, or generous shoulders preferred
  • unlikely headwind mid-May (found this great map: windhistory[dotcom]/map.html#8.00/34.802/-115.638 )
Route nice to have's:
  • Interesting (i.e. not repeats on a boring section of road)
  • Probable tail wind mid-May
  • Occasional civilization
  • Comfortable weather in Mid May - likely rules out Palm Springs/Phoenix corridor
Other relevant info:
  • The route does not need to be a loop or an out and back
  • The route does not need to be a known century ride
  • The rest of the fam has offered to be a support crew
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Routes that match the criteria but are beyond the one-day drive would also be interesting to hear about.
Likes For trevorjfitz:
Old 03-03-21, 04:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I can't help, but go kiddo!
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-03-21, 04:23 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I am going against the grain and say not to do this. Not because it is something that an 8 year old cannot do but that burn out and moderation is not a bad idea. I liked to ride a bike as a kid but going 100 miles may have changed my prospective 30 years later. Cycling is great but I just would not encourage and 8 year to do this, ride and have fun. I am a runner and sometimes high school and college kids want to run a marathon. My thought on that is wait till your a bit older and go for speed not distance. At some point it all will be distance because after about 28 years old we are not going to get faster if we have trained at this since teenagers.
Old 03-03-21, 04:51 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Anaheim Station to Downtown San Diego Station

Early in the morning you will have a light tail wind going from Anaheim to PCH on SART. As the day warms up you will have a light to mild tail wind from the onshore winds. You will need to head down to Camp Pendleton south entrance on a weekday to get base access, otherwise you will have to ride on the 5 Freeway for about 8 miles. You can take the Amtrak Surfliner back to Anaheim for about $40/person
Likes For Elvo:
Old 03-03-21, 06:32 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Go kid, go! Not for you, but I did the two day option of the Cross Florida Ride in 2018. It was 78 miles the first day and 92 the second day. I saw a family of three riders at the start: mom, dad and a girl about 7 or 8 years old. I complimented her and her parents and wished her luck. Her father proudly responded saying this was her second year doing this ride.

Just make sure he's having fun!
Old 03-03-21, 07:16 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 543 Times in 305 Posts
Apple Valley to Piru: The Rise is about 1200 feet, but it drops 3500 feet. Take one of the less traveled roads from Apple Valley to Pear Blossom. Head from there to Piru via Soledad Canyon Road then Henry Mayo Drive.

I also rode from Long Beach south. To make a century you will need to cross Camp Pendleton. The wind was normally North to South. That ride will be pleasant year round.

I lived in Newport Beach 40 years ago, so the traffic may be much worse now.
Old 03-03-21, 11:21 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Are you open to the L.A. River or the San Gabriel River? Almost perfectly flat dedicated bike bath, and you can easily construct a Century between these two rivers. Zero vehicle traffic, but it is repetitive. The San Gabriel runs from Seal Beach to the San Gabriel Mountains.
Old 03-04-21, 03:00 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 3,105 Times in 1,680 Posts
as per the long distance/endurance thread/forum...still not supporting the various la/sgrt/sart river trails as a possibility.
sure, easy enough to combine the three for a c-note but little scenery and more than a few trail visions/encounters i wouldn't
feel comfy introducing someone < 14 yo or so to.

can't recommend riding the 5 freeway southbound (or northbound) for anyone, been there, done it multiple times but knew what
i was getting into vs backtracking to san juan capistrano and training past. in good conscience, can't give it a go ahead for an 8 yo,
even one with a front and rear chaperone. if the op wants to coordinate camp pendleton id's for all involved in advance, okay. the
camp pendleton southern entrance/exit area-5 fwy interface of approx a half-mile is the busiest part but still better than the 5 fwy.
Old 03-04-21, 07:37 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I am going against the grain and say not to do this. Not because it is something that an 8 year old cannot do but that burn out and moderation is not a bad idea. I liked to ride a bike as a kid but going 100 miles may have changed my prospective 30 years later. Cycling is great but I just would not encourage and 8 year to do this, ride and have fun. I am a runner and sometimes high school and college kids want to run a marathon. My thought on that is wait till your a bit older and go for speed not distance. At some point it all will be distance because after about 28 years old we are not going to get faster if we have trained at this since teenagers.
if the kid is driving this, I say back him all the way. I respect the caution you’re advising here, but unless this is a pushy dad pushing Junior into something (and there’s no indication that’s the case) then allowing the kid to achieve a pretty awesome goal like this at a young age is fantastic.

I’d be in favor of creating a loop with the river trails, mainly for the safety aspect. That headwind coming back west on the SART, though, ooof. It may seem a bit boring to some, but I always liked looking out for the big A at Angels Stadium when I used to ride down there.

Last edited by Leinster; 03-04-21 at 10:55 AM.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 03-04-21, 08:41 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1,952 Times in 939 Posts
I am curious. What exact route would you take from Apple Valley to Piru? My interest is riding over Hwy 39 to Hwy 2 then figuring a way to Lucerne Valley from Wrightwood. Just a little recon on my part.

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Apple Valley to Piru: The Rise is about 1200 feet, but it drops 3500 feet. Take one of the less traveled roads from Apple Valley to Pear Blossom. Head from there to Piru via Soledad Canyon Road then Henry Mayo Drive.

I also rode from Long Beach south. To make a century you will need to cross Camp Pendleton. The wind was normally North to South. That ride will be pleasant year round.

I lived in Newport Beach 40 years ago, so the traffic may be much worse now.
Old 03-04-21, 09:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6132 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 3,283 Posts
Go to RideWithGPS, MapMyRide, Strava and other sites that cyclists post their rides to and look at the rides and routes others have done and made public. Then you can easily see the elevation profile and other metrics you might be interested in. On all those sites, you can filter the rides and routes for the mileage range you are looking for.
Old 03-04-21, 09:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10933 Post(s)
Liked 7,441 Times in 4,167 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Way to make this a parenting thread.
My 10yo couldnt ride 100mi, but some days its a success when my 10yo walks across the room without tripping over herself. She has ridden 30mi and we found out that is the max for her mentally/physically right now. But others are different and if they have a goal and desire to accomplish something, then why not try?
You suggest the 8yo ride and have fun...but what if this is the 8yo riding and having fun? The kid will spend time with his dad training and will get to spend a day with his dad and grandfather out doing something he loves and working towards a goal. Thats pretty damn neat. And if he isnt able to ride the 100mi, then he can decide it isnt for him right now or he can continue to work towards the goal.
This sounds like the kid is driving the goal setting, so this is what interests him at this moment. But you want to discourage that.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-04-21, 12:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3923 Post(s)
Liked 7,215 Times in 2,920 Posts
Instead of loading the dice (one-way route, overall downhill, tailwind assisted), why not choose a local loop that is more representative of what a typical century is like? Explain to the kid that this is what real cycling is about -- it's not just about logging an arbitrary number of miles.
Likes For tomato coupe: