Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Struggling with cornering turns

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Struggling with cornering turns

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21, 02:48 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The OP is asking for help riding in a group...not so much riding solo. He therefore can't take the 'racing line' because he's in the group...he has to ride the same line the riders around him are riding. He has to slow down when they do and has to accelerate when they do, or he'll continue to get gapped off and have upset riders behind him. If he hasn't done so already he needs to learn how to pedal around corners when possible. I will repeat my recommendation to ride at the bike for a while so he doesn't gap off a bunch of guys. If the OP gets gapped a few more times he'll get it figured out. Hopefully.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-17-21, 03:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The "racer's line" only works in a race if the pack is strung out in single file. If you try to take that line in a crit where the pack is 3 or 4 wide you will hear some very imaginative cursing. Where I live, it will be bilingual. My avatar is of me at the head of the pack in a crit. The guys behind are not in single file. They cannot all take the "racer's line'", they have to hold their line through the next corner

Last edited by alcjphil; 03-17-21 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 07:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
I hope you weren't mid corner with a group when you wrecked. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...mpromised.html
Old 03-18-21, 07:13 AM
Cassopher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I hope you weren't mid corner with a group when you wrecked. https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...mpromised.html

No my toddler accidentally knocked it over and it fell against our dresser.
Likes For Cassopher:
Old 03-18-21, 07:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Well, of course this, thing is ... and I wouldn't now anything about it ... a group that could do 22mph avg for 50 miles. I don't know, don't you think they MUST be rotating riders? Could you just hang off the back of a group like that? Is this even a *cough* real post is what I am getting at. You either can hang with a group like that or you can't. There isn't any 'practicing'. I've been riding (continuously) since 1967 and I can't ride like that. I don't think anyone claiming to have less than 3 years total riding experience has any business being near a peleton. Or maybe they should look at some YouTube videos of what can happen when things go sideways because someone isn't having the best day ever ...
Well, since you can't do it, then it definitely must not be possible for anyone else.

As mentioned, there are people who come from other sports who have no problems putting down the power, learning the bike handling side of it takes time, and is absolutely a skill that can be practiced and improved. I was doing Winter Bike league three months after getting on the bike, and my first century was almost 20mph avg, solo. I've won races overall, and my AG for series races, but by your thinking, I shouldn't even be near a peloton yet, only having 2.5 years on the bike. And no, it's not just young guys, I'm 46. Myself and the OP are probably more the exception than the norm, but I've seen several other new cyclists in this area (all runners lol) who have done the same thing and are rocking out on A+ group rides.

When I first started doing group rides, I introduced myself, explained my background and asked the group(s) to let me know if I was doing anything wrong or unsafe, took their feedback, kept learning and practicing, watched what others around me were doing, and kept improving. OP seems to have the same attitude, which is the best way to approach it, willing to learn and improve.
Old 03-18-21, 08:43 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
As another motorcycle rider (and racer), I second the 'find an empty parking lot' approach. Pick some painted mark points, or cut a couple of tennis balls in half and practice doing figure eights, spread them out and do faster and faster until you're comfortable. Then put them closer and practice low speed handling.

Race Bike '09 Ninja 250R
Old 03-18-21, 10:02 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Well, since you can't do it, then it definitely must not be possible for anyone else.
Fair enough, but I was not talking about the 'putting the power' down part of it. I was talking about not having the bike handling aspect down, and how it would suck big time to screw up and wipe out taking several other riders in the group with you. I'm not worried about it. I don't ride in a group. But I could. I am confident in my bike handling that has been developed over decades. But amazing riders crash and burn all the time. Spit happens to the best of them. Still, I don't think I gave bad advice to the o.p. to wait until they no longer feel like asking random strangers on the internet for bike handling tips before they ride in formation with an A+ road group again.
Old 03-18-21, 10:16 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
This thread has been quite productive.

OP, what tires and wheels do you have? How much do you weigh? What pressure do you run? I've found that the wrong tires can make a big difference in terms of confidence. Over the internet, that's probably all I can help with.
Old 03-18-21, 12:31 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
In turns, look ahead to where you want to go. Don’t look at your wheel or the wheel in front of you.

Edit -oops, guy before me said it.
Finally, the most important answer.
Old 03-18-21, 12:55 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Well, of course this, thing is ... and I wouldn't now anything about it ... a group that could do 22mph avg for 50 miles. I don't know, don't you think they MUST be rotating riders? Could you just hang off the back of a group like that? Is this even a *cough* real post is what I am getting at. You either can hang with a group like that or you can't. There isn't any 'practicing'. I've been riding (continuously) since 1967 and I can't ride like that. I don't think anyone claiming to have less than 3 years total riding experience has any business being near a peleton. Or maybe they should look at some YouTube videos of what can happen when things go sideways because someone isn't having the best day ever ...
I started road riding at age 12 averaging 15mph for an hour. Started racing with juniors at 13, and was comfortable in a large pack of adults by 14. At that point, I was doing serious group training rides that would average 25-28mph over 30-60 miles. Now, I had to tuck into the pack and never take a pull to keep up with those guys, but it was entirely possible. Also, it's spelled peloton FYI (sorry, just had to).

For the OP, staying at the back may get you them dropped since that's not the most favorable position to be for drafting, especially if you're fading back at every turn, but it might be preferable to making everybody hate you because you're holding them up. Also, putting weight on the outside pedal was the advice that made the biggest difference for my cornering back in the day.

Last edited by urbanknight; 03-20-21 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 05:07 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
You have to practise pushing your bike to the limits of tire adhesion in a safe and controlled manner, such as in a parking lot. I like to add some dusty and loose surfaces into the equation to make things a little more exciting.

-keep your weight low and centered in the crank arms

-get as low as you can while maintaining a straight back. Your body should be acting as good sport suspension. Firmly dampened with stable compliance.

- scoot your butt out keep your core and lower back engaged.

- elbows tucked in. Practise turning with little side to side roll. Gradually push until you feel close to losing grip.

Observe whether its the rear or front tire losing grip first. You want both to be tackling the load evenly with the rear tire losing grip first. If its the front tire first, back to core, lower back, full body toning and strengthening so that you can keep your weight balanced and controlled without being overly reliant on the saddle and handlebars as contact points. It could also indicate a combination between incorrect saddle and stem positioning/length.

The rear and front tire can only work in unison of you are applying a sufficient amount of power to the cranks to stabilize the rear end while allowing the front to maintain balance while being tasked with cornering forces.

You can push your bike a lot harder onve you install confidence into yourself.
Old 03-18-21, 06:00 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Its about riding in general and then applying other skills for the group ride. Those other skills involve looking and how to do it in a group ride.

That means the OP was having difficulty even before the group ride. Thus, looking is the first step and not necessarily the "all encompassing" technique to follow.

For gaining confidence in handling the bike, I would ride solo and experiment with the kinds of looking when up against different situations.

Athleticism: you will find that some professional athletes have a unique sense of where they are in relation to everyone else. The race car drivers have that. Mickey Lauda for instance. Another example is Magic Johnson of the Lakers. His ability to read the court and then quickly make adjustments and do those timely passes. Its a question of degree of this skill and how it can be developed.

Same with bike riding in general and then the looking thing. Yeah, Mickey Lauda and Magic Johnson used their "looks". But how?

It would be interesting to ask Peter Sagan about how his mountain bike skills became an essential part of his transition to road racing. I think he had that advantage.

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 03-18-21 at 06:12 PM.
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 03-19-21, 06:41 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I learned cornering by seeking out "S" turns and roads with challenging corners and curves. I still do. As far as tires, inflation etc. I dont see that being an issue. I used to race with tires at high pressure, weighed in at 140 pounds and 6' tall and took ridiculous chances in corners. Never wiped out, well almost never. Of course I was on Criterium Setas, so that always helped. And read a book. Learned a lot about riding in a group and cornering by reading books.
Old 03-20-21, 10:52 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
OP is concerned about not inconveniencing other riders. Wow. Can I ride with you? Expect everyone in the group is appreciative at some level to have such a nice and thoughtful guy to ride with.

22mph for 50+ miles is fast. If OP were messing up bad at that speed there would be lots of yelling. Apparently there is not.

When a a lot of bikes need to get through a turn everyone one goes through well within their capabilities and well within the capabilities of the bikes. It is not edge city. Follow what everyone else is doing, you will not slide out.

The turns should be as comfortable as the straights. You will get there. Keep thinking comfort and stability, not high performance. Sounds like a big motor with plenty of performance. Sitting lower, even one or two millimeters, lowers center of gravity and improves control. Or if already sitting low see if upper body could be lower. Wider tires will help if they can fit. Lower pressure if possible.