Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any "modern retro" frames currently made that stand out?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Any "modern retro" frames currently made that stand out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-21, 07:46 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Woodrup is still making custom steel bikes, as northbend can attest to:

https://www.woodrupcycles.com/bespoke/

Of course there's Alex Singer as well:

Construction de velos sur mesure. Réparation, entretien du velo de course et du velo de randonnée. Vente de composants, pièces de rechange, produits de comsommation. Toutes spécialités pour la course.

Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-27-21, 09:49 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 542 Posts
A friend of mine loves his Waterford and his Gunnar. Here in the Portland, OR area you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a custom frame builder.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 06-27-21, 10:59 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
Here in the Portland, OR area you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a custom frame builder.
And some have fallen by the wayside sadly, such as Norther Cycles.

Jeff Lyon is still in business in southern Oregon, and a highly respected builder.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-27-21, 12:30 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
A friend of mine loves his Waterford and his Gunnar. Here in the Portland, OR area you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a custom frame builder.
With many of the "new" steel bikes that are "modern retro" it is hard to find what tubing, ie kind of steel you are getting.
For instance, I have gone to many of the sites including Waterford and Gunnar and can not find these details.
Atleast Gunnar states "A tubeset that exploits the advances in steel technology" which I assume is one of the latest steels like Nivacrom. I always love getting a Columbus frame since use a tag that lets you know what kind of steel. Nothing wrong with SL steel but there are many improvements over the last few decades. Here is a link to detail more of what Im discussing. https://steel-vintage.com/blog/2014/...s-steel-tubes/

Im happy to see the "modern retro" bikes still produced but wish the good practice of Columbus tagging and manufacture detailing these tubing choices would still be followed.
Old 06-27-21, 04:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
And some have fallen by the wayside sadly, such as Norther Cycles.

Jeff Lyon is still in business in southern Oregon, and a highly respected builder.
So many great PDX builders past and present, currently Dave Levy at TiCycles is my top pick, Ira Ryan, Joseph Ahearne, Tony Pereira, Chris Igleheart and Bob Kamzelski all do fantastic work, easily on par with the best anywhere.

And of course there are Sacha White and Mark DiNucci if $$$ are no object.
Old 06-27-21, 04:44 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
DOH! th0m Is In Sweden

Originally Posted by th0m
I was looking around at some of the classic bike brands' current collections, and most of them offer at least one retro looking lugged steel frame. There is the Colnago Master X-Light and Arabesque, Wilier Superleggera, De Rosa Nouvo Classico, Bottecchia Leggendaria, Guerciotti Record etc etc. Do any of these stand out quality-wise or is the workmanship more or less on the same level? Doesn't have to be any of the ones mentioned, there are of course a bunch of others as well (most seem to be Italian though).
DOH!

I totally missed that the OP th0m is located in Sweden! My apologies.... Jag är ledsen

That could/would lessen his access to many of the top builders in the US. Maybe not so much in the UK.

My one Swedish bike (still bare frame):

We sold some Crescents in the early to mid 70's. This example is worse than I remember but I bought it cheap to round out my collection.

SSSSSKOAAAALLL!!!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 06-29-21 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 12:04 AM
th0m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
That could/would lessen his access to many of the top builders in the US. Maybe not so much in the UK.
Actually, since Brexit there shouldn't be much difference ordering from the US or UK. Taxes, import charges etc should be the same.

Skål!
Likes For th0m:
Old 06-28-21, 12:21 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Actually, since Brexit there shouldn't be much difference ordering from the US or UK. Taxes, import charges etc should be the same.

Skål!
There are more than a few custom steel and Ti builders here in Germany Stefano Agresti in my hood (agresti.de) and it'd probably get a bike from the EU than from the states or the UK.
Old 06-28-21, 12:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
I totally missed that the OP th0m is located in Sweden!
That may well mean the Italian and European bikes are a dime a dozen.

The US or Australian bikes may be "Exotics".
Old 06-28-21, 11:43 AM
th0m

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
There are more than a few custom steel and Ti builders here in Germany Stefano Agresti in my hood (agresti.de) and it'd probably get a bike from the EU than from the states or the UK.
Yes, if I were to get a custom frame from a smaller maker I would probably choose something from within the EU, for convenience sake. Have been looking at Rychtarski for example.
Old 06-28-21, 12:14 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I "just" ordered (a year ago) a red Colnago Master, and they claim it might be done in a few weeks.......................

Anyway, I will post the pics once it arrives.

ETA- I have a full Super Record 11spd gruppo
Old 06-28-21, 04:47 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Yes, if I were to get a custom frame from a smaller maker I would probably choose something from within the EU, for convenience sake. Have been looking at Rychtarski for example.
Im still voting for that green Faggin, the purple Battaglin or the Pelizolli!

...of course it is more fun spending someone else’s money!

The Rychtarski stuff is cool. I especially like their restorations, but their red and white original ones look pretty traditional.

The from of ST pinch bolt is sort of neat.

Last edited by jdawginsc; 06-28-21 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 07:03 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
As a senior on a budget, I'd never buy a new road bike when I have 4 C&V bikes that fit me like a glove. I would consider something that really wasn't available in this quality, ever.

Likes For clubman:
Old 06-28-21, 07:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
As a senior on a budget, I'd never buy a new road bike when I have 4 C&V bikes that fit me like a glove. I would consider something that really wasn't available in this quality, ever.

Interesting bike.

I have thought about "upgrading" a vintage Schwinn Fat Tire Cruiser which might come out with a similar look.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-28-21, 08:21 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Interesting bike.

I have thought about "upgrading" a vintage Schwinn Fat Tire Cruiser which might come out with a similar look.
Yeah but this thing's lean and mean.
Old 06-28-21, 08:39 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
I "just" ordered (a year ago) a red Colnago Master, and they claim it might be done in a few weeks.......................

Anyway, I will post the pics once it arrives.

ETA- I have a full Super Record 11spd gruppo
Do the new "modern retro" models still use Gilco Master profile, ie crimped, tubes ?
I love the ride of my classic steel master.
Old 06-28-21, 11:02 PM
th0m

Originally Posted by joesch
Do the new "modern retro" models still use Gilco Master profile, ie crimped, tubes ?
The current Master use some kind of Dedacciai tubing as far as I know. Still crimped.

My Master Olympic is from the year or two in the mid 90's where they used crimped Tange "Ultimate Superlight".
Old 06-29-21, 05:56 AM
joesch

The current Master use some kind of Dedacciai tubing as far as I know. Still crimped.

My Master Olympic is from the year or two in the mid 90's where they used crimped Tange "Ultimate Superlight".
Dedacciai can be used with steel, AL, & Ti tubing and uses niobium Nb which functions as a microalloying addition.

Just visited the Colnago website and it states for the Master:

A timeless jewel of timeless style, with its stellar steel tubes, chrome lugs and the P
The only steel frame with tubes with a star section.A timeless jewel of timeless style, with its stellar steel tubes, chrome lugs and the Precisa fork.

The Arabesque does not even address the steel, probably the same as Master. Both are beautiful modern retro's.

Last edited by joesch; 06-29-21 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-29-21, 06:31 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
I’m probably the member you’re thinking of with the Pelizzoli. Finish work is incredible, but communication with them is very, very difficult. I visited the shop in Bergamo in person to get fitted, had a lovely afternoon with Sr. Pelizzoli, who was 86 at the time…he’d be 91 now, and a cancer survisor at that. He was the only one in the shop doing lugged steel at the time, everyone else was involved in resprays and carbon frames. So not sure who, exactly, would build you a steel frame there or how long it would take (mine was just under a year). But they will work with you on design; mine will take up to 32’s in 700c, and up to 38’s as a 650b.

Would definitely look at Faggin (they were highly recommended by an Italian contact when I ordered the Pel) as well as Somec. Have seen the recent Somec work and it is stunning. Battaglin also looks like they do top level finish work.
Old 06-29-21, 10:14 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
That was the selling point for me. I just had to have an Italian frameset with the crimped tubes!
Old 06-29-21, 10:37 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Dedacciai can be used with steel, AL, & Ti tubing and uses niobium Nb which functions as a microalloying addition.

Just visited the Colnago website and it states for the Master:

A timeless jewel of timeless style, with its stellar steel tubes, chrome lugs and the P
The only steel frame with tubes with a star section.A timeless jewel of timeless style, with its stellar steel tubes, chrome lugs and the Precisa fork.

The Arabesque does not even address the steel, probably the same as Master. Both are beautiful modern retro's.
My Arabesque is crimped. I attempted a bit research on this before buying and nobody would give a hard answer. My vague interpretation is that the Master and Arabesque use the same tubes, made by Deda to the same or close to the same specs as Gilco.
Old 06-29-21, 11:06 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 382 Posts
This is 2 years old and I don't have the patience to go through them all, but maybe you'll find other makes here:

https://cycling-passion.com/boutique...manufacturers/
Old 06-29-21, 11:22 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Wow, these are some nice bikes.
Old 06-29-21, 11:42 AM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
I get compliments on my Jeff Lyon quite often. To most it looks like a 50 year old bicycle. His frame prices are pretty fair. I believe Jan Heine used a couple of his frames to do tubing/planing comparisons in BQ.
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 06-29-21, 11:46 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 382 Posts
Just noticed nobody mentioned Ciocc:

https://www.ciocc.it/en/product-category/vintage-en/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.