Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless ready rims = Roadside removal impossible?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-25-21, 07:58 PM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts

Honestly just wondering if I ended up going with the wrong wheelset here... Running WTB XC21 rims with Panaracer Paselas 700x35 (wire bead). I really have no plans to ever run tubeless; I really just don't want to deal with the mess. However, I've tried a couple different wire bead tires on these rims and it is an epic PITA to mount and even remove them. Like, so brutal that I've needed to resort to soapy water and freaking channel lock pliers with a rag to mount. Then I need the channel locks again to pop the bead to remove them. They definitely did not get easier after initial installation either.

I've got like 6 other bikes floating around the garage, 700c, 27", 26"... None of the other wheelset/tire combinations ever gave me this much grief. One of the other 700c rides (not tubeless compatible) I can easily remove and remount the tires by hand, no tools at all.

Is this just the nature of the beast with tubeless ready rims? If so, it seems pointless to even carry tubes, patches and CO2. The moment I get a puncture I might as well call the wife to play sag wagon... Or design a custom channel lock plier mount for the bottle cage bosses.
Old 07-25-21, 08:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
It's certainly been widely reported that tubeless ready rims have made mounting and removing tires more difficult. That's been my experience as well. Some folks say they can't even get the bead to break free from the rim. However, lots of people don't have issues. I think the best solution is to try a variety of tires until you find an acceptable combo.
Old 07-25-21, 08:16 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
on new tires my new wheel set was hard but a tire I removed from the old wheel set was pretty normal they were the same tires.
Old 07-25-21, 08:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Make sure you are cognizant of the center channel.

Practice at home with the tools you take on the road, and make sure you have your tool kit with you.

Some people run tubeless sealant in the tubes, and it might make the difference of being able to limp home.
Old 07-26-21, 08:48 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42
Is this just the nature of the beast with tubeless ready rims?
Sort of. They're usually harder to mount than tubed and some are really hard to mount but technique really makes a difference. As mentioned, keep the beads in the center part of the rim while you're prying the rest of the bead on. There is a trick that some people use which is using zip ties or string or thin strips of duct tape, etc., to tie around the tire pulling just tight enough to hold the beads together. Usually works amazingly well and you may not even need tire levers. I first used this on tubeless motorcycle tires which are about 10 times more difficult than bike tires and couldn't believe how easy it was to mount them without tire irons. For bike tires consider using 8 - 10 ties to keep the beads together. Easy to carry in a seat pack too and don't forget to carry something to cut the ties with when the tire is mounted.
Old 07-26-21, 09:18 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Sort of. They're usually harder to mount than tubed and some are really hard to mount but technique really makes a difference. As mentioned, keep the beads in the center part of the rim while you're prying the rest of the bead on. There is a trick that some people use which is using zip ties or string or thin strips of duct tape, etc., to tie around the tire pulling just tight enough to hold the beads together. Usually works amazingly well and you may not even need tire levers. I first used this on tubeless motorcycle tires which are about 10 times more difficult than bike tires and couldn't believe how easy it was to mount them without tire irons. For bike tires consider using 8 - 10 ties to keep the beads together. Easy to carry in a seat pack too and don't forget to carry something to cut the ties with when the tire is mounted.
No need for a cutting tool; you can just use reusable zip ties.
Old 07-26-21, 11:02 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Is running a wired tire part of the issue? IIRC wired were designed for older style rims (I got paselas wire for my 78 Semi pro)

Personally I don't plan on going tubeless, and as long as they are available would get non tubeless ready rims, just because of all the issues there seem to be (remembering that on this forum we see the problem...not the no-problems)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-27-21, 04:15 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Recently, when I encountered great difficulty in mounting a new tire by hand I left the incomplete mounted tire with the rim in direct hot sunlight for a couple of ours, and I was able to mount the tire by hand. This seems to make quite a difference. Since then I have tried this technique a couple of times, and it works.
I live where there's plenty of sunshine
Old 07-27-21, 06:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
When you get a flat at night in the rain, just wait for tomorrow's midday sun to heat the tire up. It will pop right off.
Old 07-29-21, 11:31 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Honestly just wondering if I ended up going with the wrong wheelset here... Running WTB XC21 rims with Panaracer Paselas 700x35 (wire bead). I really have no plans to ever run tubeless; I really just don't want to deal with the mess. However, I've tried a couple different wire bead tires on these rims and it is an epic PITA to mount and even remove them. Like, so brutal that I've needed to resort to soapy water and freaking channel lock pliers with a rag to mount. Then I need the channel locks again to pop the bead to remove them. They definitely did not get easier after initial installation either.

I've got like 6 other bikes floating around the garage, 700c, 27", 26"... None of the other wheelset/tire combinations ever gave me this much grief. One of the other 700c rides (not tubeless compatible) I can easily remove and remount the tires by hand, no tools at all.

Is this just the nature of the beast with tubeless ready rims? If so, it seems pointless to even carry tubes, patches and CO2. The moment I get a puncture I might as well call the wife to play sag wagon... Or design a custom channel lock plier mount for the bottle cage bosses.
What rim tape are you using? Hopefully not Velox.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-30-21, 06:46 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I’ve found TL rims mount easy and the thin TL tape helps. Technique is extra important on TL as the shoulders are wide and center narrow. Make sure all air is out of the tube if using one. Hold the tire (not rim) up at the top and pinch beads into the channel, starting at the bottom. Work your way up each side 1-2X. The weight of the wheel will keep the beads in the center channel as long as you let it hang by the tire.

TL is not necessarily messy or difficult. For low psi tires and TL rims it has benefits. I’ve never had a problem with any Pasela and I’ve changed a lot of them, both wire and Kevlar bead. Wish they made them in tubeless as they're a favorite of mine.
Old 07-30-21, 11:17 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I really have no plans to ever run tubeless; I really just don't want to deal with the mess.
The "mess" issue is pretty nonexistent, IME, but If you're never going to go tubeless, ditch the tubeless set-up. That said, I think if you tried it, you'd like it. I'm tubeless on one bike, and while I haven't converted the others (yet), I'd never go back to tubes on the one.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-31-21, 06:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
The "mess" issue is pretty nonexistent, IME, but If you're never going to go tubeless, ditch the tubeless set-up. That said, I think if you tried it, you'd like it. I'm tubeless on one bike, and while I haven't converted the others (yet), I'd never go back to tubes on the one.
This. The “mess” concern generally comes from people who have no experience with tubeless.