Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing Cassette/Wheels

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-21, 09:41 AM
tyler55403

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, my bike (2019 Giant Escape 3) was recently stripped apart and I'm trying to replace that parts myself to try and save some $ and maybe learn something. Basically I need to replace the full wheels (+cassettes) and seat post.

I found a bike on craigslist (2005 Trek 7100) that appears to have really similar parts that I should be able to transfer to the Escape 3 frame. The one thing that is slightly off is the cassette #s.

Giant Escape 3: MF-TZ50, 14x34
Trek 7100: Sunrace, 13x34

Since this is my first time replacing parts on a bike, i'm not sure how exact of a match the cassette needs to be. Does anyone have advice/feedback on how exact the cassette needs to be? Or if the Trek 7100 cassette will work as a replacement? Specs for both bikes are relatively easy to find if you're interested in looking them up for comparison.

Please let me know if anyone is able to offer some advice. Thank you.
Old 08-01-21, 10:01 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I think you would probably not even miss the 13t cog. If everything is the same manufacturer and speed, it is all pretty easy. Partially replacing parts for a 2019 bike with parts from a 2005 bike that you first have to purchase, IMO, is going to present problems. 15 years apart in the bike world truly is a world apart. Seems like a better solution would come with a bit more thought and research.
Old 08-01-21, 11:00 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by tyler55403
The one thing that is slightly off is the cassette #s.

Giant Escape 3: MF-TZ50, 14x34
Trek 7100: Sunrace, 13x34
The first thing you need to verify is whether you actually have a cassette. My guess is that you have a freewheel. It is not a big difference, but it will impact maintenance procedures.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

It is not uncommon to find donor bikes that are cheaper than the parts on them.

However, be careful of wear parts. Especially the chain and freewheel/cassette. In many cases, 7 speed (or so) freewheels are dirt cheap, and better to replace new.

In general, if you put on a new freewheel or cassette, also use a new chain.
Old 08-01-21, 11:00 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Why would you want to reequip a 2019 bike with 2005 parts even if they matched? Especially one from Craigslist, where no bike is ever how it is advertised. The likelihood of the hubs being maintained over that time is pretty small, there may be dings or dents, out of true, whatever. Even seatposts have changed, with sizes being all over the place.
Old 08-01-21, 11:38 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Since gears are wear items as mentioned above, and this bike is new enough that the exact parts should still be out there, it's probably best to search for the same part unless you want something different (like a different gearing). A quick search on ebay shows these exact freewheel (Shimano mf-tz50) brand new for around $20. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...-TZ50&_sacat=0
The trickier part will be finding the right wheels. You need to get the right axle spacing and compatible cassette body.
Old 08-01-21, 11:47 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by tyler55403
...I'm trying to replace that parts myself to try and save some $ and maybe learn something...
What fun... Learning how to do this stuff yourself is right up there with ridding. Also the tools are cheaper than they have ever been and easier to get. Youtube instructionals abound and of course you have the Bike Forums...