Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where do I find 28 x 1 3/8 rims

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where do I find 28 x 1 3/8 rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 11:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by BodnarDave
To rebuild a vintage bike, I'm looking for a wheel or rim set of size (by ISO/ETRTO designation) 37-642 (mm). This is sometimes expressed (in the format used by, for example, brand HJC) as 642 x 37.

It's also called (by Imperial designation) 28 x 1-3/8 (inches).

It's also known (by obsolete French designation) as 700A or 700 x 35A.

The overall diameter of the rim would be about 656 mm.

For a 28-inch wheel, this size differs from the common 28 x 1-1/2 (or 40-635) of vintage British roadsters. It was common on early French bicycles. I gather it was common for quite some time in Australia, which explains why that country seems the only source for the corresponding tire.

Perhaps someone has a wheel or rim set from one of these vintage bikes. I would consider having such custom-made. I'd be happy to receive advice or recommendations. Thanks!
I'd try Yellow Jersey: Yellow Jersey, Ltd., Arlington WI USA Everything Cycling Since 1 April, 1971!
Old 08-04-21, 11:10 AM
BodnarDave

Bikes: Apollo Triathlon, BRC Roadace, CCM Imperial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clubman, that was so helpful! It sent me looking even further (after I cockily thought I knew it all), to discover a size not on any rim or tire charts I'd run across. It is, however, on a comprehensive chart I found that listed this size that you seem to have: (Imperial) 28 x 1-1/4, (ETRTO) 32-647, (French) 700, purportedly found on roadster bikes in Britain (EA2 rim) and Holland. Now I had to familiarize myself with the three rim types--Westwood, (Raleigh)/Westrick, and Endrick, and their letter/number designations. That's not all--also the difference between the brake types rod/stirrup and caliper, since they correspond quite functionally with the rim styles.

Having this sorted now, I see that the rims you have, EA2, are Endrick type--compatible with caliper brakes--and the size of the rim is about 5mm wider in diameter (16mm longer in circumference) than the 28 x 1-3/8 / 37-642 that I was looking for. Since I was only needing larger-diameter rims to fit an unknown vintage frame with greater wheel clearance and to align with the brake assemblies, I note with a sense of encouragement that your pair is only a little larger and fits the bill in the other respects. (Confirmation would be measuring the overall rim diameter as slightly larger than 656mm--say, about 661.)

I cannot find any mention of a tire of this size. And I also note a comment on the aforementioned website: "Most tire and rim sizes are nominal, not always the true measure, just close designations."

Now, my first question is... When you say "I have a pair...thought for sure this was what you are after", do you mean that these might be for sale?
The second is... Would the "28 x 1-3/8 / 32-647"
tires I am able to get fit on these rims? I expect it would be a struggle, but might be possible. And my problem would be solved!
The third is... If I acquire rims only and must mate them with hubs, I should know whether these rims have 36 or 40 spoke holes (or something else)? The modest "recyclist" who writes the Wordpress blog "RustyBikeBell", in recounting his restoration of an Australian classic--a 1956 Speedwell Popular--and reinstating its factory-issue wheels, stated that "most 28-inch wheels were traditionally 40 hole rear and 32 hole front". Hmm. That seems, if rustic, rather odd. I think I'd opt for the symmetric look and the solid support of 36 or 40 holes both.

If you agree your rims would be workable in my project, and if you'd consider a sale, should we transact this privately? Let me know what's agreeable by forum convention and/or your preference.

Your reply, and the Dunlop rimchart, has been of enormous help in education alone. If there's a vintage bike expert in my city, I haven't found him/her through the shops. Thank goodness for The Net and forums like this!
Old 08-04-21, 01:52 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
pm'd. Post here if you can't read it.
Old 12-28-22, 06:50 PM
Chats872

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
28”x 1 3/8 Westwood rims

Did you find out where to get any of these rims I’m looking for a front one? Probably same sort of bike and era.
Cheers Paul
Old 12-30-22, 07:12 AM
BodnarDave

Bikes: Apollo Triathlon, BRC Roadace, CCM Imperial

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paul, I did get the one old rim pair that Clubman had. They need repair/restoration, which I haven't yet completed. I didn't need to follow up on the few recommendations by other members--Yellow Jersey in Wisconsin USA, Australia, vintage British bikes, Chinese bikes. Good luck in your search. --David
Old 12-30-22, 08:21 PM
Chats872

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
28”x 1 3/8 rims

Originally Posted by BodnarDave
Paul, I did get the one old rim pair that Clubman had. They need repair/restoration, which I haven't yet completed. I didn't need to follow up on the few recommendations by other members--Yellow Jersey in Wisconsin USA, Australia, vintage British bikes, Chinese bikes. Good luck in your search. --David

Hi David
Thanks for the reply I tried loo up those places in line and in my search found places in New Zealand and to cut a long story short got a rim and 2 tyres about 20 minutes from home.
Cheers Paul