Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How do you get a job without a car?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How do you get a job without a car?

Old 01-11-16, 11:51 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny the jobs that ask if you have a car most the people who work there take the bus. The boss is like like do you have a car? Can you drive me home?
Old 01-11-16, 12:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by heywood
Never limited my job prospects or advancement.. unless driving was part of your job why would you want to drive? If I lived in an area that required me to have a car i'd just move..I actually did that once and happier for it.
Thats fantastic to hear it hasnt limited your job prospects or advancement. Its also great to see that you are so mobile in life that you are able to simply move to accommodate a job.
Please recognize that your situation is far from the norm.

People often choose where to live and where to work in separate points of life. When one changes, they often times dont also change the other. I live where I live for the location during my life outside of work. I work where I work because the schedule, pay, and benefits fit my wants and needs. They arent in the same location and it isnt realistic to be car free because of family obligations and the work/life choice I have made.

Again though, I have found that around me, those who I know to be car free/car light are able to be that way due to lifestyle and because it works out for what they do as a job.

On a related note, I am not sure how you can say your career hasnt been potentially limited since perhaps you could move up in pay and responsibility at another company who is 40mi away. A car = mobility for many.

With that said, If my job were within realistic bike commuting distance and I wasnt responsible for getting kids from after school and to activities, I would certainly not touch my car as I already try to not use it as much as conveniently possible. But that comment is also like me saying that if I could jump another 10" and had better lateral quickness, I would have played pro basketball at some level. Only 2 things are missing, but boy are they HUGE key things!
Old 01-11-16, 11:17 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
My sister went through that. She really enjoys driving and has spent years trying to make a living doing it. She went through years of near slave wages but finally (after close to 20 years of trying) got a job with a package delivery service and makes a decent living (after all expenses, about 25-30k/year, which in Rural US is a mid level wage).

Back to the topic of how to get a job without a car, I have seen that it really depends on the nature of the job. The job duties are not an important determinant; the determinant is what the job pays.

A job that pays more than 2x minimum wage seldom seems to require a car. Further, if one is needed, it will generally be provided.

At the same time, a job that pays 1-1.5x minimum wage almost always requires a car; this is true even if the car is not needed for the actual job. As an example, my daughter once applied at a McDonald's that was literally across the street from our apartment, at the time.

She was told that they needed someone with a car so that they could get to work on time.

Of course we know it had nothing to do with getting to work on time; she was able to point out the window and show where she lived. It is simply a gauge of commitment. People applying for higher pay jobs have generally already demonstrated their commitment through whatever is on their resume. They have established themselves.

When applying for, what are, interchangeable jobs, the people are treated as interchangeable gears. For whatever reason (and yes, this needs to change) the car serves as a visible level of commitment, it helps to establish the person. Frankly, it is visible evidence that if the job were abandoned, the worker would suffer.
Interesting.

Life in the burbs in our car-centric society never ceases to amaze me. I worked in a supermarket for 5 years and we never asked anyone if they owned a car. This is the first time in my life that I've heard this theory so it only pertains to those living in the middle of no where.

I suspect the car enables the employer to determine your credit history more than anything else. If you have bad credit because of the car, they can eliminate you right away. If you have no credit due to the lack of a car, they can't make a decision on whether to hire you.
Old 01-12-16, 12:26 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I suspect the car enables the employer to determine your credit history more than anything else. If you have bad credit because of the car, they can eliminate you right away. If you have no credit due to the lack of a car, they can't make a decision on whether to hire you.
Why do they care about your credit history? What does that have to do with whether or not you'd be a good employee?
Old 01-12-16, 12:57 AM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mid 20's and never had a license but never had any issues getting a job. I either bike, walk, or take public transit to work. Every city I've lived in (a lot unfortunately) has had good public transportation. Portland, Oregon (where I live now) has the worst of them all but been here 2.5 years and happily employed the whole time. I have to leave a little earlier than others and get home a little later but not an issue.
Old 01-12-16, 05:51 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Why do they care about your credit history? What does that have to do with whether or not you'd be a good employee?
Many employers check credit history. It is used as a measure of honesty and reliability.

Again, I am not saying it is right, only that it is done.
Old 01-12-16, 11:03 AM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Read through all the pages and find it all very interesting.

I bike to work all year and this is my first job where I do all year regardless of weather (today it was -22F). I was not sure how this was going to go over at my current office due to the stigma's of biking to work and the nature of my office and what we do. It has actually been a big hit more so than I anticipated. I think like another person they have a office pool going on me, I get asked just about everyday if I biked in and two or three times when the weather is very poor. I have turned one person slightly to ride to work and not by me convincing them but them just seeing how easy it is for me. He only rides in on the nicest of days, but I am just glad he does it.

When I first really started to ride it was a 26 mile round trip commute, but it was entirely on a MUP. I worked for a health care provider at the time so my bike was not the only one parked at the office all year. The job prior to that I had a second round of interviews to get to, well that day my car broke down and could not get one from anyone else plus zip car and hour car did not exist at the time. So I biked there, it was about 15 miles one way I believe. When I got there I did not get the answer I expected, which I thought was going to be me not getting hired for this "stunt," in fact they were impressed and thought it showed real dedication, it also helped the hiring manager was a avid cyclist .
Old 01-12-16, 02:17 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Thats fantastic to hear it hasnt limited your job prospects or advancement. Its also great to see that you are so mobile in life that you are able to simply move to accommodate a job.
Please recognize that your situation is far from the norm.

People often choose where to live and where to work in separate points of life. When one changes, they often times dont also change the other. I live where I live for the location during my life outside of work. I work where I work because the schedule, pay, and benefits fit my wants and needs. They arent in the same location and it isnt realistic to be car free because of family obligations and the work/life choice I have made.

Again though, I have found that around me, those who I know to be car free/car light are able to be that way due to lifestyle and because it works out for what they do as a job.

On a related note, I am not sure how you can say your career hasnt been potentially limited since perhaps you could move up in pay and responsibility at another company who is 40mi away. A car = mobility for many.

With that said, If my job were within realistic bike commuting distance and I wasnt responsible for getting kids from after school and to activities, I would certainly not touch my car as I already try to not use it as much as conveniently possible. But that comment is also like me saying that if I could jump another 10" and had better lateral quickness, I would have played pro basketball at some level. Only 2 things are missing, but boy are they HUGE key things!
So, can you speak to what you have done in order to rely less on cars? (You certainly don't need to apologize for needing to use a car, but the topic is to talk about ways of needing one less.)

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-12-16, 02:20 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
Read through all the pages and find it all very interesting.

I bike to work all year and this is my first job where I do all year regardless of weather (today it was -22F). I was not sure how this was going to go over at my current office due to the stigma's of biking to work and the nature of my office and what we do. It has actually been a big hit more so than I anticipated. I think like another person they have a office pool going on me, I get asked just about everyday if I biked in and two or three times when the weather is very poor. I have turned one person slightly to ride to work and not by me convincing them but them just seeing how easy it is for me. He only rides in on the nicest of days, but I am just glad he does it.

When I first really started to ride it was a 26 mile round trip commute, but it was entirely on a MUP. I worked for a health care provider at the time so my bike was not the only one parked at the office all year. The job prior to that I had a second round of interviews to get to, well that day my car broke down and could not get one from anyone else plus zip car and hour car did not exist at the time. So I biked there, it was about 15 miles one way I believe. When I got there I did not get the answer I expected, which I thought was going to be me not getting hired for this "stunt," in fact they were impressed and thought it showed real dedication, it also helped the hiring manager was a avid cyclist .
I've had similar experiences at an established job--most of the co-workers and even superiors have been very favorably impressed that I was carfree.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-12-16, 03:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I ride as much as is possible considering weather, obligations, and plans.
If I need 20 bags of .5cu of dirt, I drive because otherwise it would be nuts to make 10 trips to get the dirt or to pay for it to be delivered. If its a grocery store trip, I try to ride. If its getting my kids after school and to activities, I drive. If time allows, I(or we) ride.

Jobs(careers) are absolutely available to those who dont drive. No question. I simply find it odd to claim a lack of personal transportation wont limit opportunities. It wont limit opportunities only if you are easily mobile and can uproot where you live. If you wont do that, then you are limiting opportunities. And that isnt a bad thing, its just something that should be acknowledged.
Old 01-12-16, 03:54 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
Many employers check credit history. It is used as a measure of honesty and reliability.

Again, I am not saying it is right, only that it is done.
That ought to be banned.
Old 01-12-16, 04:34 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That ought to be banned.
Right? How are you suppose to fix your bad credit if you can't get a job to pay it off? I was told by one company that they do it because people with bad credit are more likely to steal and that it shows they're irresponsible. I asked them how they got to that conclusion and they couldn't answer. My credit is bad due to an accident I was in an not being able to pay $100K in hospital bills. Not sure how that makes me irresponsible. Needless to say I was turned down for the job due to my bad credit history.
Old 01-12-16, 08:37 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Right? How are you suppose to fix your bad credit if you can't get a job to pay it off? I was told by one company that they do it because people with bad credit are more likely to steal and that it shows they're irresponsible. I asked them how they got to that conclusion and they couldn't answer. My credit is bad due to an accident I was in an not being able to pay $100K in hospital bills. Not sure how that makes me irresponsible. Needless to say I was turned down for the job due to my bad credit history.
There are millions of spendthrifts like you who have the cheek to have an accident, contract a life-threatening disease or spend money on such frivolities as a university education or food and shelter. How dare you! And then, to top it off, you want a job?
Old 01-12-16, 09:01 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
There are millions of spendthrifts like you who have the cheek to have an accident, contract a life-threatening disease
There is no such thing as misfortune, there is only strength and weakness of character.

God blesses the worthy and some have demonstrated that they are unworthy. The best way to gauge a persons moral character is to examine the combined value of their assets.

[disclaimer: these views are pretty much the opposite of my position and belief; but they do seem to be pretty popuar]
Old 01-19-16, 10:32 PM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Walter S
For those looking for a job you're better off recognizing this prejudice as common, and doing what you can to demonstrate discipline and stability. Believing that other people, particularly car drivers (most of the world) think you're smart for not having a car might not be the best position to adopt.
I think in North America this is correct..when in Rome and so on.. I've found most Americans look on people without cars suspiciously, a bizarre idiosyncrasy that i've never really been able to understand.. If i'm looking for a new place or going to a job interview..if required, i will rent a car..Once you secure the position, how you get there is no longer an issue..
Old 01-20-16, 01:14 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think in North America this is correct..when in Rome and so on.. I've found most Americans look on people without cars suspiciously, a bizarre idiosyncrasy that i've never really been able to understand.. If i'm looking for a new place or going to a job interview..if required, i will rent a car..Once you secure the position, how you get there is no longer an issue..
I agree, which is why I'd have no qualms whatsoever about being economical with the truth and telling a prospective employer that I had a car. Once I was hired, if they asked why I kept turning up to work on a bicycle or public transport, I'd just tell them that the vehicle had broken down.
Old 01-20-16, 01:20 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think in North America this is correct..when in Rome and so on.. I've found most Americans look on people without cars suspiciously, a bizarre idiosyncrasy that i've never really been able to understand...
You say "North America." Do you think this grotesque way of thinking extends into Canada or is it limited to the United States?
Old 01-20-16, 08:03 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
You say "North America." Do you think this grotesque way of thinking extends into Canada or is it limited to the United States?
In the centre of Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, etc., maybe not, but in suburban and rural areas I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 01-20-16, 10:45 AM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't posted here in years, so hi to everyone.

Anyway, I do my job from home. I teach classical piano and music theory, and for extra income I have an online job that I do here and there on my computer.
Old 01-20-16, 12:12 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Alekhine
I haven't posted here in years, so hi to everyone.

Anyway, I do my job from home. I teach classical piano and music theory, and for extra income I have an online job that I do here and there on my computer.
Welcome back!
Old 01-20-16, 09:42 PM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Welcome back!
Thanks!
Old 01-22-16, 02:06 AM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The boss at the last job that I worked at was concerned about my ability to "reliably" cover all of the 1.4 miles from my house to work since I was a car-free bike rider, but set up another interview. The day before the interview she called saying that she had to postpone it for a few days because her car was in the shop. I asked why she didn't just drive another one. She said that she only had that one and I responded that I have four bikes----and you're worried about ME getting to work. I got the job.
Old 01-22-16, 03:49 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only time I was ever asked if I had a vehicle, was when I started flagging years ago because you got called far more often if you could carry equipment. Now that I no longer do that sort of work, it doesn't matter. Now that I work for a certain rail tor company, I have the option of riding my bike and a few of the carmen and one of the Provisioning crew do (till he had regular access to a car or got a ride) commute by bike.
Old 01-22-16, 05:40 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
The boss at the last job that I worked at was concerned about my ability to "reliably" cover all of the 1.4 miles from my house to work since I was a car-free bike rider...
Ha, ha, ha!
Old 01-22-16, 08:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
LCF is the biggest obstacle and hindrance to career advancement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.