Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Apparently not welcome to somebody...

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 06-27-19, 06:48 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/or...kes/ar-AADuEnZ

People are just tossing Portland's e-bikes and scooters into the Willamette River and County Sheriff's deputies are trying to remove all they can find to prevent pollution from their batteries and other parts.

The 57 mentioned in the article were apparently not the end of it but that's all they could get in that round.

Astounding. It's like A Clockwork Orange. Full out war.
Old 06-27-19, 08:25 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
People are *******s.
Likes For cooker:
Old 06-27-19, 09:32 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

And why are they? You're in Canada, it's like a whole other country.
Old 06-27-19, 11:03 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Any business plan that counts on the honesty of the population is living in a dream world. If private citizens lose truck loads of bicycles in the average city after being parked and locked what would a rental company expect?
Likes For Mobile 155:
Old 06-27-19, 11:21 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
If there's gonna always be 10 or 15 percent of the population who sees it as their civic obligation to steal any unlocked bike they see, then the responsibility shifts to the bike owner himself, to make sure they use some sort of lock, even if not perfect.

Because in way, by creating opportunities for a thief to steal a bike, that person becomes part of the problem.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Pyle, if there is one thing in this world that I hate, it is an unlocked footlocker! You know that, don't you?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: If it wasn't for (reproductive organ heads) like you, there wouldn't be any thievery in this world, would there?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir!
Old 06-27-19, 11:30 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
There are delinquents in every city. The companies that own those bikes and scooters should be responsible for cleaning up the mess.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-27-19, 11:45 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Any business plan that counts on the honesty of the population is living in a dream world. If private citizens lose truck loads of bicycles in the average city after being parked and locked what would a rental company expect?
This seems to have been some kind of social media fad where people were challenged to instagram themselves throwing e-scooters off a bridge.
We had this moronic case in Toronto where a women rented an AirBnB condo and filmed herself throwing a chair off the balcony, landing on the sidewalk outside the building; turns out she was a minor insta-celeb and during a later perp walk outside the police station she was smiling and waving to the news cameras like she was Kylie Jenner or whomever.

Last edited by cooker; 06-27-19 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-27-19, 11:52 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
After tripping over dumped e-scooters littering the downtown sidewalks it's inevitable that someone will treat them like litter, although that is an unacceptable receptacle in which to discard them.

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 06-27-19, 01:00 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by cooker
This seems to have been some kind of social media fad where people were challenged to instagram themselves throwing e-scooters off a bridge.

We had this moronic case in Toronto where a women rented an AirBnB condo and filmed herself throwing a chair off the balcony, landing on the sidewalk outside the building; turns out she was a minor insta-celeb and during a later perp walk outside the police station she was smiling and waving to the news cameras like she was Kylie Jenner or whomever.
I contend that unattended bicycles and scooters are viewed by some like shopping carts. Much like graffiti there is a subset of society that see these things as prime targets with minimal risk for their own use. It happened in China and several other US cities and is still happening.

Petty crime is is being overlooked in places like Portland, my niece and her families live there. If you think about it unattended bikes and scooters are prime targets of opportunity for people looking for that kind of activity.
Old 06-27-19, 02:48 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I contend that unattended bicycles and scooters are viewed by some like shopping carts. Much like graffiti there is a subset of society that see these things as prime targets with minimal risk for their own use. It happened in China and several other US cities and is still happening.

Petty crime is is being overlooked in places like Portland, my niece and her families live there. If you think about it unattended bikes and scooters are prime targets of opportunity for people looking for that kind of activity.
I agree, although this particular case sounds like it might have been an excess blip due to a kind of viral phenomenon, so I suspect it will somewhat settle down as the perps get bored and move on to something else.

Last edited by Hermes; 07-01-19 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Not necessary
Old 06-27-19, 11:05 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

You really didn't need to use that last example to make a point.
Old 06-28-19, 01:22 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

You really didn't need to use that last example to make a point.
??
Old 06-28-19, 02:50 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

The part with all the ****s.
Old 06-28-19, 04:15 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
I wish all of the fad following ne'er-do-wells would have just eaten a whole tub of Tide pods and gotten their misery over with.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 07-09-19, 04:25 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
We have lime bikes and scooters in my town. Some of the bikes wound up in the river. Not sure about the scooters. Not a fan. People put them where ever. Not docking them is good for the user. Not for the public. I could imagine being in a wheelchair on a side walk, and having problems because someone just throws a bike down in the middle of a side walk. Buy not owning the bike it encourages the mis-treatment of them.
Old 07-10-19, 01:21 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

That sounds more like what Ice-T would say.
Old 07-12-19, 08:03 PM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
haven't ever seen a bikeshare program where you could get a bike out of the dock without a credit card. in chicago with divvy, the deposit is over a grand.
Old 07-12-19, 10:55 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by denada
haven't ever seen a bikeshare program where you could get a bike out of the dock without a credit card. in chicago with divvy, the deposit is over a grand.
The new proposal is dockless. Pick up the bike or scooter wherever you find one. Unlock it with a Phone app and drop it off wherever you like. Next to a bar, dumpster, behind a liquor store or by a bridge over a river. In China they are tossed into empty lots by the thousands. It doesn't seem to be a fad.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...eyards/566576/
Old 07-16-19, 02:04 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I've seen some of these bikes in my town. There doesn't seem to be any sense in placing them around town.
I tried lifting one of them: they are really heavy. I couldn't toss one very far. Perhaps some hooligans have made a sport of tossong them; sort of like tossing the caber.
Old 07-16-19, 02:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
My guess is that a lot of this is a protest, and has to do with people being unhappy with either scooter parking, or people riding the scooters, or perhaps the fees charged by the scooter companies.

The companies need to start a PR campaign, and some method to police bad riders.

And, of course, allowing the scooters into a riverfront park doesn't help.

Nonetheless, it may well be a half mile stretch of bike path that needs to be monitored. Do the scooter companies have the locations and times when the scooters went offline?

Damage and replacement costs may be higher than the vandals expect, and could land them in a fair amount of hot water if caught.
Old 07-16-19, 11:14 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

May explain it.
Old 07-17-19, 10:36 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
The newest scooters to come online in Portland are more like small mopeds than real scooters. They are HUGE. The wheels must be 16" in diameter and they even have seats. On our regular Saturday morning walk recently, one of them had been placed carefully on the rumble strip of the wheelchair access ramp of the sidewalk. It would have caused considerable confusion and frustration if my wife (blind) had encountered it without me being there to identify it and make a path around it. A wheelchair user would have had to find another way to access that block. By now every Portlander has had to heave one of these things out of their way at least once in the last year. I'm not even sure if the latest mega-scooters are liftable by anyone lacking a bodybuilding background. I am not at all shocked to learn that they are winding up in rivers.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-17-19, 10:56 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if spontaneous civil disobedience occurs all over urban areas infested with discarded e-scooters by citizens taking direct action to take back our streets and sidewalks. Making it prohibitively expensive for e-corporations to have a businesses model based on narcissistic e-riders/dumpers using public spaces like untrained dogs crapping everywhere is the only way to get this blight under control, with legislation and enforcement and otherwise perhaps.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 07-17-19 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For Bandera:
Old 07-17-19, 11:15 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Vandalization is an American tradition.

Old 07-17-19, 11:31 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Vandalization is an American tradition.

That may be an old car, but it still happens. Not as much now as it used to.

The video quality above indicates that may not be as old as one might expect.

This was from 2009, about 10 years ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.