Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

All City

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 03:43 PM
urban_cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
All City

Every time I see these framesets, they are spendy AF, $899.99 I’m sure it’s a good frame, but you can buy a quality, complete bike for that price.

Not knocking All City, just can’t find any info about these frames.
Anyone care to enlighten me as to why they cost almost $1,000.00?
Old 12-01-20, 04:09 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
The Big Block was 550 last year when I bought mine, looks like MSRP is 600 now. MSRP for the Thunderdome frameset is 799, which is pretty on the level with other comparable aluminum/carbon track framesets. I think some of their road and cross stuff is a little weirdly priced, but their fixed gear stuff doesn't jump out as being particularly expensive for what it is, IMO.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 12-01-20, 08:59 PM
PIFFLE

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
Have to echo seau grateau here, not sure what you're looking at but my out-the-door for the Big Block frameset at Sacramento LBS was $592.63 in August 2020.

Thunderdome looks like a great bike and what I put together w the BB frameset ended up 2x Thunderdome's complete but I chose the BB specifically for the clearance to run 32 tires.

Was it worth it? 100%. I'm sure same would be true if I'd gone with Surly, Salsa, or any of the other well regarded marquis but this is the finest, most solid and responsive experience I have ever had on a fixie bike (that's an italicized i character btw ^^).
Old 12-01-20, 11:47 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
All City makes a high-quality cromo frameset for $550 or aluminum for $750 (with a Whiskey carbon fork). They're a real bike company, not a "lifestyle brand," like Crew or whatever City Grounds is selling this month. $550 complete bikes cut corners on hubs & wheels and use "house brand," no-name parts. They're good first bikes for casual use, but you get what you pay for. I say buy once, cry once.

Go look at AC's website more closely -- there's tons of info about the company and their bikes. They make nice stuff.

Last edited by Rolla; 12-01-20 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-02-20, 07:15 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I also echo Seau's comments. I have the original Big Block, red and white. Since then they've changed the rear fork ends a bit and they added the signed seat collar. I really like the looks of that. Mine doesn't get ridden as much as it deserves, but it is fast, fun and absolutely beautiful.
The one knock on these frames is that they put the bottle bosses on the seat tube. It isn't a big deal to me but I can understand the issue some have with it.

I would love to have one of their geared bike framesets but they are currently beyond what I want to spend. I keep hoping to find one gently used, but so far, no luck.

P.S. Forgot to mention another thing they do to all of their bikes and that is treat the inside with a corrosion-resistant coating. That helps preserve the frame and eliminates the need to use frame saver.
Old 12-02-20, 08:20 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
i've seen the complete big blocks go for around 1k think you are confused.
Old 12-02-20, 09:56 AM
TugaDude

There is some confusion based upon reading the original post. For the record, this is straight from All City's website, so assumed to be current.

Big Block Frameset $599.00
Big Block Complete $1,050.00

And I chose an example of a geared frame, which has more work in it.

Space Horse Frameset $899.00
Space Horse Complete GRX $2,199.00

So an extra $300 for the geared frameset. I don't know if there is $300 extra in labor and materials in making the geared version so I cannot state whether it is appropriately priced or not. But if they are comparing to other framesets in the market of similar quality I'd say they look to be close.
Old 12-02-20, 09:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
They make some really solid hubs that are nice, lightweight and don't look to bad. Their frames are nice as well. Yes you can buy anything at any price generally but sometimes you are paying for quality and support behind them. QBP isn't perfect and certainly the support is sometimes a little slow but it is there and it is always been good. I have never had a warranty problem they couldn't handle if it would have fallen to them.

There have been a few ACs I have looked at and one I would have owned had it not been for some issues ordering and then it going out of stock and me going in a different direction. I have known some people who have them and they all like 'em. Don't know why someone would say they are particularly expensive. I would have loved the old Nature Boy 853 and a Mr. Pink that was pink. The new NatureCross SS is cool but I just don't want PF and Eccentric BB and the Super Profesh ticked a good deal of boxes but I really don't need it and I would rather have something in higher end steel or titanium with that same set up.
Old 12-03-20, 07:01 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by veganbikes
They make some really solid hubs that are nice, lightweight and don't look to bad. Their frames are nice as well. Yes you can buy anything at any price generally but sometimes you are paying for quality and support behind them. QBP isn't perfect and certainly the support is sometimes a little slow but it is there and it is always been good. I have never had a warranty problem they couldn't handle if it would have fallen to them.

There have been a few ACs I have looked at and one I would have owned had it not been for some issues ordering and then it going out of stock and me going in a different direction. I have known some people who have them and they all like 'em. Don't know why someone would say they are particularly expensive. I would have loved the old Nature Boy 853 and a Mr. Pink that was pink. The new NatureCross SS is cool but I just don't want PF and Eccentric BB and the Super Profesh ticked a good deal of boxes but I really don't need it and I would rather have something in higher end steel or titanium with that same set up.
Yes, some of their bikes have changed considerably. One I always loved the look of was the Log Lady, their single track mountain bike frame. It isn't listed anymore. They also used to have a "freestyle" sort of urban bike and that has disappeared also.
Old 12-03-20, 08:48 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
The Super Professional frameset is $899, but that gets you through-axles, a rear dropout that can run SS or with a derailleur, rack and fender mounts, a very nice paint job with ED coating, etc. I don't think you can do much better than that.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-03-20, 11:41 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Man.....that All City Professional Single Speed (complete) looks nice!
Hmmmm........Pretty sure they're all sold out up here in Canada.
Old 12-03-20, 12:08 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Man.....that All City Professional Single Speed (complete) looks nice!
Hmmmm........Pretty sure they're all sold out up here in Canada. ... when i need to coast my Nature Boy ACE
Old 12-03-20, 02:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Yes, some of their bikes have changed considerably. One I always loved the look of was the Log Lady, their single track mountain bike frame. It isn't listed anymore. They also used to have a "freestyle" sort of urban bike and that has disappeared also.
The Log Lady was neat but I just don't see them as an MTB brand and I think that is why it didn't last so long but it may come back. Their other bikes were the Airwolf and Def Wish (at least for FGFS) and probably didn't take off much as FGFS isn't super duper popular but a standard FG and track bike is. Plus plenty of BMX brands out there to handle the torch if need be.
Old 12-04-20, 04:25 AM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by urban_cyclist
Every time I see these framesets, they are spendy AF, $899.99 I’m sure it’s a good frame, but you can buy a quality, complete bike for that price.

Not knocking All City, just can’t find any info about these frames.
Anyone care to enlighten me as to why they cost almost $1,000.00?
You should read better.
The complete bike costs $899.99.
The frameset costs $550.00
Old 12-04-20, 07:42 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
You should read better.
The complete bike costs $899.99.
The frameset costs $550.00
Not anymore. The complete is now $1050 and the frameset is $599.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-04-20, 12:22 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Sadness.
Old 12-04-20, 12:23 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Still worth every penny and I will get one when I have all of those pennies.
Old 12-05-20, 01:24 PM
urban_cyclist

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I must have been looking at a road bike frame and mistook it for a track frame.
Old 12-05-20, 04:21 PM
urban_cyclist

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The Super Professional frameset is $899, but that gets you through-axles, a rear dropout that can run SS or with a derailleur, rack and fender mounts, a very nice paint job with ED coating, etc. I don't think you can do much better than that.
That’s what I was looking at. For some reason I thought it was a ss/fg frame, doh! 🤨
Old 12-05-20, 04:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
That’s what I was looking at. For some reason I thought it was a ss/fg frame, doh! 🤨
Have you been able to check it out in-person? If not, you should try to find one. I have an AC Space Horse, and it's a nicely-made frame. They do nice paint jobs.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-06-20, 06:18 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

The Super Profesh is both geared and single speed. They sell both versions or you can just buy the frame set and DIY. If you go fixed you will need a special hub from say Paul Comp since fixed Disc thru axle hubs are pretty rare. You could if you weren't planning a rear brake go with a thru axle 6 bolt disc hub and find an ISO cog but honestly I would rather have the brake and more cog options.
Old 12-06-20, 10:29 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Man, I don't need it at all, but the Super Professional looks so fun. Love the paint.
Likes For walnutz:
Old 12-06-20, 01:01 PM
urban_cyclist

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Have you been able to check it out in-person? If not, you should try to find one. I have an AC Space Horse, and it's a nicely-made frame. They do nice paint jobs.
Sadly, I’ve only seen these online. Hopefully after COVID-19, that will change, and my LBS will be able to stock them.
Old 12-07-20, 04:43 PM
TugaDude

Sadly, I’ve only seen these online. Hopefully after COVID-19, that will change, and my LBS will be able to stock them.
I want to echo the comments about the build quality and the paint. My Big Block was from the first year and is the red with white "socks". The paint is amazing, way better quality than I expected. The glitter in the red paint really pops in the sunlight. It has a protective clear coat on it as well. The welds are all very well done. I have zero complaints about it. I hope you find them as nice as I do and good luck with your hunt.

Last edited by TugaDude; 12-07-20 at 04:56 PM.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-07-20, 05:27 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Super Professional is available in either a geared or singlespeed version.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.