Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike for big guy seeking recommendations

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-14-21, 03:29 PM
pottjar34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I’m 6’6” 360lb guy. I lift weights and workout, so it’s not a big round guy asking, more linebacker type. I need to purchase a bike preferably under $2k. Using it on asphalt and dirt roads. Mainly for exercise and pulling a grandchild in her bike “caboose”. I don’t really care what bike I get, just so long as it holds up. I’d greatly appreciate any and all advice as to what you’d recommend. Thank you!
-J
Likes For pottjar34:
Old 03-14-21, 04:01 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by pottjar34
I’m 6’6” 360lb guy. I lift weights and workout, so it’s not a big round guy asking, more linebacker type. I need to purchase a bike preferably under $2k. Using it on asphalt and dirt roads. Mainly for exercise and pulling a grandchild in her bike “caboose”. I don’t really care what bike I get, just so long as it holds up. I’d greatly appreciate any and all advice as to what you’d recommend. Thank you!
-J
Look into clydesdale or KHS flyte 747
Old 03-14-21, 04:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
I'd suggest you go to the shops and see what's actually available. Bike supply is limited now, no point in deciding on something you can't get until 2022.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-14-21, 04:42 PM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
The KHS 747 that’s been recommended isn’t a great bike for dirt roads or pulling a trailer. It’s a fine bike. I have one and love it, but it’s a road bike designed for long legged riders and has a pretty low weight limit.

KHS does make a 29er mountain bike called the “BNT”. as in Big N Tall. Hard tail with a front suspension. I believe it only comes in two sizes.

XXL and XXXL.
Old 03-14-21, 04:45 PM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Here you go. And Zinn has them in stock and they’ll ship it to you.

https://zinncycles.com/product/khs-b...mountain-bike/
Likes For XXLHardrock:
Old 03-14-21, 04:45 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
It's not perfect but it may be built to handle your load.......
https://www.worksmancycles.com
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 03-14-21, 07:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
Might want to check around in here.

https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...-200-lb-91-kg/

Your biggest issue is going to be wheels. Plan on replacing them sooner rather than later with some handbuilt, properly tensioned, high quality heavy duty ones.
Old 03-15-21, 09:55 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Are you more comfortable with drop bars or a flat bar? I think that would be the starting point for our suggestions.

And where are you located?
Old 03-15-21, 10:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Surly Disc Trucker comes in a size 64cm.
Old 03-15-21, 10:47 AM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I am a little shorter than you (about 6'5") and I find it difficult to get comfortable on most brands 'XL' bikes, if they even offer one in that size. If getting a mountin or hybrid style bike, you should get at least a 22" or larger frame... look for models in XXL size.

Same goes for road bikes (bikes with 'drop' handlebars) - look for something that comes in a XXL size... in traditionally sized bikes you need a 63 or 64cm at least. Modern bikes with sloping top tubes don't often have size numbers that large - an XXL is more likely measured as 60cm or even 58cm.

As a bigger stronger type person, you also need a robust drivetrain, but pretty much anything in your price range will be sufficient. It's lower cost bikes (<$500) where you might have an outdated 'freewheel' rear hub that will have a bent axle and dissolved bearing surfaces after less than a season of use.

A bike that can take on gravel, carry a heavier rider, and tow a trailer, I would look at a Surly 'Disc Trucker', which is made in 64cm size. I think they also have flat-bar models that might fit.

ANyhoo, the primary thing you need to look for is fit - not every manufacturer makes a bike big enough for you to be comfortable. Don't think that just because one maker calls their bike an XXL or because it's the largest one you can find that it will fit - bigger bikes are out there, but you might have to do some searching.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-17-21, 07:20 PM
pottjar34

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
Are you more comfortable with drop bars or a flat bar? I think that would be the starting point for our suggestions.

And where are you located?
FLAT bars. Caledonia, MI
Old 03-17-21, 07:24 PM
pottjar34

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I am a little shorter than you (about 6'5") and I find it difficult to get comfortable on most brands 'XL' bikes, if they even offer one in that size. If getting a mountin or hybrid style bike, you should get at least a 22" or larger frame... look for models in XXL size.

Same goes for road bikes (bikes with 'drop' handlebars) - look for something that comes in a XXL size... in traditionally sized bikes you need a 63 or 64cm at least. Modern bikes with sloping top tubes don't often have size numbers that large - an XXL is more likely measured as 60cm or even 58cm.

As a bigger stronger type person, you also need a robust drivetrain, but pretty much anything in your price range will be sufficient. It's lower cost bikes (<$500) where you might have an outdated 'freewheel' rear hub that will have a bent axle and dissolved bearing surfaces after less than a season of use.

A bike that can take on gravel, carry a heavier rider, and tow a trailer, I would look at a Surly 'Disc Trucker', which is made in 64cm size. I think they also have flat-bar models that might fit.

ANyhoo, the primary thing you need to look for is fit - not every manufacturer makes a bike big enough for you to be comfortable. Don't think that just because one maker calls their bike an XXL or because it's the largest one you can find that it will fit - bigger bikes are out there, but you might have to do some searching.
I was considering maybe a “fat tire bike” if need be. I appreciate your detailed advice.
Old 03-18-21, 11:58 AM
ClydeClydeson

THe modern 'fat bike' style (~5" wide tires) is not really a good choice for general riding - they are designed for riding on soft or very rough surfaces and are not ideal for road or path use (although technically you can go anywhere, this is like buying an H1 Hummer as a commuter car) . They might also be difficult to find one in a size appropriate for you.

A good quality hardtail mountain bike will roll better (meaning you'll be more encouraged to go out riding) and will also be tough as nails. Look for a very large frame with 29" wheels.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-18-21, 12:19 PM
pottjar34

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
THe modern 'fat bike' style (~5" wide tires) is not really a good choice for general riding - they are designed for riding on soft or very rough surfaces and are not ideal for road or path use (although technically you can go anywhere, this is like buying an H1 Hummer as a commuter car) . They might also be difficult to find one in a size appropriate for you.

A good quality hardtail mountain bike will roll better (meaning you'll be more encouraged to go out riding) and will also be tough as nails. Look for a very large frame with 29" wheels.
I have a mountain bike already, but the tires popped first time I got on it, which was scary. Is it possible to just buy a couple of rims that are stronger and some beefy tires to go with it?
Old 03-18-21, 12:28 PM
ClydeClydeson

I can't imagine how that happened - people much larger than you can safely ride any bike, except maybe the most lightweight or fragile racing bike designed for people half our size, and even those you can get on and ride around carefully without things spontaneously exploding. I was up close to 300# in the past and regularly rode a road racing bike with 23mm wide tires. I remember one time I rode to the pet food store and came back home with 40# of dog food on my back, and the lightweight racing bike with narrow tires remained unscathed.

I eventually found I liked slightly wider tires (like 32 or 35mm) but none of those narrow tires was ever damaged simply from me sitting on the bike.

If both your tires 'popped' when you got on then something else was wrong. And if you don't figure out what went wrong with those tires, it's likely to happen again.

It can't hurt to upgrade your tires or wheels, although the wheel mounting standards and spacings are changing so (if you have a bike that is a few years old) the longer you wait the less options you will have.
Old 03-18-21, 12:35 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Keep in mind that fat bikes and mtb style bikes tend to have a longer top tube and reach than something like a road bike. This is essentially what differentiates it from something like a road bike. In reality it's just compensation for the difference between road and singletrack style riding. Mountain bikes encourage a different sort of position designed to be more stretched out and weigh the front axle as needed in rougher terrain. It's obviously not idea for road or even basic gravel use.

As for heavy riders, paat 220lb, it becomes much easier to bend axles, wheels etc. If you ride on smooth terrain, not a problem. If you fit well on your bike and know how to balance your weight properly, also not a problem.
Old 03-18-21, 12:42 PM
pottjar34

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't imagine how that happened - people much larger than you can safely ride any bike, except maybe the most lightweight or fragile racing bike designed for people half our size, and even those you can get on and ride around carefully without things spontaneously exploding. I was up close to 300# in the past and regularly rode a road racing bike with 23mm wide tires. I remember one time I rode to the pet food store and came back home with 40# of dog food on my back, and the lightweight racing bike with narrow tires remained unscathed.

I eventually found I liked slightly wider tires (like 32 or 35mm) but none of those narrow tires was ever damaged simply from me sitting on the bike.

If both your tires 'popped' when you got on then something else was wrong. And if you don't figure out what went wrong with those tires, it's likely to happen again.

It can't hurt to upgrade your tires or wheels, although the wheel mounting standards and spacings are changing so (if you have a bike that is a few years old) the longer you wait the less options you will have.
Most bike shops around me are still closed due to Covid. So, I’ll need to order online. If I specified what wheels were on the bike now, would that help others like yourself to suggest some good viable upgrades?
Old 03-18-21, 12:57 PM
ClydeClydeson

Yes. What wheels and tires do you have now?
Old 03-21-21, 06:53 PM
pottjar34

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Types of wheels I have.

Yes. What wheels and tires do you have now?

Old 03-25-21, 11:59 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
The Schwinn Phocus 1600 Men’s Road Bike is recommended for large men.
Old 03-25-21, 07:55 PM
Vegun

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has served my 300#, 6'5" self well and is in GREAT shape.

https://reno.craigslist.org/bik/d/ga...281423305.html
Old 03-26-21, 12:19 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
When I started riding again in March, at 64 1/3 years old and 310 lbs, I quickly discarded my old bike and after looking around. I bought a Trek Verge low-step through (hip problems). I bought the Verve 3, my wife bought the Verve 1 or 2. (These are NON electric.) There are lots of great things about it, but one is that it handled my weight and size with no problem. Now I'm down to 214 and up to 65 years old, it's still a great bike. It's rated for my weight, it's very stable, it will roll over damn near anything, and it's big enough that I'm not cramped into a little frame designed for the Greg Lemonds of the world. (Nothing against GL or skinny little people.)

It's "heavy." But when you figure it as a percentage of your weight? Pfffffffft.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 03-26-21, 12:20 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
I thought we weren't supposed to post ads. Hmmmm. If it's OK to do so, I'll post my Bike Friday.