Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel Spoke Tension

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel Spoke Tension

Old 04-25-21, 12:05 AM
ryan422

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel Spoke Tension

I have a 2021 Santa Cruz Bronson and the rear wheel got banged pretty good, Rim: WTB ST i29 TCS 2.0 27.5" Spokes: DT Competition (32) Hub: SRAM MTH 746, 12x148, 32h
What should I consider the spoke tension minimum maximum and target as I attempt to fix the 5mm deviation?
Old 04-25-21, 08:26 AM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Spoke tension and trueing are kinda separate things. True the wheel first ( lots of videos on how to do that) then after the rim is true go back around the rim and tighten all the spokes to equall tension. Squeeze two spokes together and see how much they give. Also squeeze some on a good wheel to get a feel for what you are looking for. Some folks that are musically inclined can get fairly close by plucking them and listening to the tone. I use a tensionmeter but it's not necessary to have one.
Likes For Thruhiker:
Old 04-25-21, 09:08 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I'm pretty sure WTB states a 120kgf max for most of their rims. Minimum is harder to state--when you deform a rim you are going to need to have uneven tension. Given this is a disc rim try to sacrifice a little bit of lateral and radial true if it can keep the low spokes under more reasonable tension. Keeping DS spokes about maybe 60kgf and NDS spokes above 40kgf would be noble goals for a compromised rim.

If this is a regular occurance for you consider rim strips like cushcore etc. You'll be able to run low pressures with better sidewall support and protect the rim from strikes.
Likes For cpach: