Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

HIIT Training = Single speeding!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 01:05 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

Just a little aside that dawned on me the other day when riding my SS: every cycling and fitness website these days has loads of articles raving about HIIT training. As I was riding one of my regular ss rides, hitting lots of short punchy climbs, mixed in with some flat and, well a good variety overall of long and short elevation changes, I realized I was for all practical purposes, "HIIT" training. The same would not be happening on my geared bike, shifting to adjust to the the terrain.
Likes For pbass:
Old 04-29-21, 03:07 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
I saw a GCN video the other day recommending punctuating low intensity rides with short bursts of a few seconds of intense effort, and particularly low torque/high revs. That's riding fixed on rolling hills described to a T. Cruise on the flat, stomp up a short hill, and spin like b***ery on the way down the other side.
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 04-29-21, 06:03 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Yeah, riding fixed gives you such a good cardio workout. Whether you have hills, traffic, or both; there's never a chance to really rest. Or as I like to say, nowhere to hide.

When I was playing squash regularly, I could just grind down a lot of players because I had so much stamina. All I did for fitness was riding to work.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-29-21, 08:01 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
If there is a drawback to SS for fitness training, it would be that it can be hard to have an “easy” ride. My rides always have some degree of wind and hills and so there will be big wattage episodes.

OTOH, it’s pretty consistent that my normal effort up hills and into headwinds will take me past most geared bike riders. The gearing just demands a certain strength and power in those cases and you get used to it.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 04-30-21, 01:46 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I mean, the same thing could happen on a geared bike, with much more control over the length and intensity of those intervals and thus a potentially more effective workout. You just have to, you know, do it.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 04-30-21, 05:05 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
I mean, the same thing could happen on a geared bike, with much more control over the length and intensity of those intervals and thus a potentially more effective workout. You just have to, you know, do it.
True. Actually I’ve recently pondered whether one of my bikes should have at least two gears, but I’m interested in a higher gear, probably for intervals on flat stretches without having to spin at 120 rpm. Maybe 48-42/16 dingle set up on the Schwinn. Or maybe 52-42/17.

Otto
Old 05-02-21, 08:02 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,145 Times in 1,655 Posts
I prefer to have more control over my interval workouts versus letting the terrain dictate them for me, which is why I do it on a geared bike versus my two FG bikes. One is for racing (track) and the other is for cruising around town.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-02-21, 10:17 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I have a favorite ride I do when I want a "workout," i.e. riding more for fitness than fun. It's fun too, but it's in no way casual or relaxing. There's a park with a 1.3 mile paved loop, very popular with pedestrians and cyclists. The loop includes two flat areas separated by two short, fairly steep hills. So every time around you get to climb twice, descend twice, and recover twice.

I always take one of my fixed gear bikes, usually with 49x17 gears, which is enough to turn my skinny legs into jello on each climb and to allow about 18 mph average speed around the loop. I force myself to stand up and sprint as hard as I can for the climbs. In fact, that's pretty much the only way to make it up the hills with this gear ratio. On the steeper of the two descents, I spin as fast as I can. The rest of the time, I take a pretty moderate pace. My personal record lap time is about four minutes flat or maybe just a few seconds less. I usually shoot for 4:05 - 4:10 average lap time, and I do 10 laps (13.5 miles). It's a very strenuous 45-ish minute routine. It's fun to look at my heart rate graph after the workout--20 spikes into the anaerobic zone for several seconds, separated by 20 troughs.

The upshot of all this is yes, you can definitely get a good high intensity interval workout on a bike, perhaps especially so with a FG or SS.

I always finish this ride feeling completely spent, and I believe if I could do this consistently twice a week, over time I'd gain excellent cardiovascular health. Alas, life intrudes into my plans and I don't get to go there as often as I'd like.

Likes For Broctoon: