Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is needed to get into amateur racing events?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 06:14 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I’m somewhat interested in doing some kind of competitive event, but am certainly no professional. What kind of options are there out there? And what skill level is needed? I’m in the Boston area if that helps.
Old 05-06-21, 06:32 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I’m somewhat interested in doing some kind of competitive event, but am certainly no professional. What kind of options are there out there? And what skill level is needed? I’m in the Boston area if that helps.

if I was in a big city I’d definitely do an alleycat, those look super fun. I’m sure there are sanctioned events too but idk about all that
Old 05-06-21, 06:34 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Get your Covid-19 shot. It is being required for racing at our local velodrome. I have a feeling that will become a standard everywhere
Likes For colnago62:
Old 05-06-21, 07:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
You typically need a racing license for most events. Depending on your location, you may be able to sign up for a race and get a one day license...Or you may need a USAC license. You would start out as a Cat 5.

Find races here.

Beyond that, you'll just need some humility, as you will probably have your ass handed to you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-06-21, 07:44 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Do they still have weeknight club races or has liability priced them out of existence? They were low-key and friendly back in the day and a great way to learn the crit game.
Old 05-06-21, 11:39 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
An amateur license, entry fee, and riding in the practice crit is all you need. Health insurance highly recommended.
Likes For Elvo:
Old 05-07-21, 05:19 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
As far as local stuff, I think the only race going is the weekly Sunday morning crit at wells ave in Newton. They’ve done 3 weeks of it so far this year. I haven’t been out there to get my butt kicked but hopefully at some point I’ll make it.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-07-21, 06:06 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
It's easy to show up for a club or shop ride, quickly learn if you have potential as a racer.
Old 05-07-21, 09:12 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
An amateur license, entry fee, and riding in the practice crit is all you need. Health insurance highly recommended.
USAC allows one day licenses too, I believe.

OP, have you done any fast group rides? Find one that has some racers in it. They'll be able to tell you what the local scene is like better than any of us. Plus, IMO, you should not show up to a race unless you're comfortable in a friendly group ride.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 05-08-21, 04:34 AM
kosmo886

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
As far as local stuff, I think the only race going is the weekly Sunday morning crit at wells ave in Newton. They’ve done 3 weeks of it so far this year. I haven’t been out there to get my butt kicked but hopefully at some point I’ll make it.
This sounds interesting. How do these work? For the various levels...what would I need to be looking at from a speed perspective? I am guessing I would get crushed, but don't want to look completely foolish!
Old 05-08-21, 05:37 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
This sounds interesting. How do these work? For the various levels...what would I need to be looking at from a speed perspective? I am guessing I would get crushed, but don't want to look completely foolish!
Speed can be a bad metric to go with because I can average 22 when I’m going hard alone but can average 26-27 in a crit when drafting and various people are pulling in front. You’d of course be in the C race but I’d imagine it would similar speed wise. So I’d second the advice and hook up with local group rides to get more comfortable riding in a group, a lot of success in crits is conserving energy in a pack.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-11-21, 08:03 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Cat-5 races are sketchy as hell. It'd been years since I'd done any crits. I've been racing mtn bikes for years; decided to do some road racing... decided against it after one race (a 40-mile road race). I was amazed at how bad the back of the pack was. Lots of yelling - BRAKING!!! SLOWING!!! HOLD YOUR LINE!!! At one point I yelled: "Guys, relax... it's just like your Saturday group ride."

I have to believe the Cat-5s are just more nervous - hence the reason they need (usually) 10 mass starts to cat up.

Like any fast group ride, try to start and stay in the front half, don't get squeezed back... and relax ;-)

Last edited by Zaskar; 05-11-21 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-11-21, 08:17 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Cat-5 races are sketchy as hell. It'd been years since I'd done any crits. I've been racing mtn bikes for years; decided to do some road racing... decided against it after one race (a 40-mile road race). I was amazed at how bad the back of the pack was. Lots of yelling - BRAKING!!! SLOWING!!! HOLD YOUR LINE!!! At one point I yelled: "Guys, relax... it's just like your Saturday group ride."

I have to believe the Cat-5s are just more nervous - hence the reason they need (usually) 10 mass starts to cat up.

Like any fast group ride, try to start and stay in front half, don't get squeezed back... and relax ;-)
That pretty much sums up a Cat 5 road race. Crits are even worse.

I like your screen name. The GT Zaskar was my first real race bike that I bought back in 1995. Still have it but never ride it.
Old 05-11-21, 08:29 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
There are weekly club races around here (east of Sacramento) but they are cross country in the spring and cyclocross in the autumn. Too hot in the midsummer. I know there's roadie stuff but I haven't looked into it. https://www.clippedinraces.com/
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-11-21, 08:35 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You might post this in the road racing subforum. There are a few northeastern folks who could point you in the right direction as far as events. There’s also a sticky thread you should read.
Old 05-11-21, 10:37 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I am not familiar with what's in Boston, but here in Chicago there are a few local race teams that run "practice crit" series during the spring that are far less formal than the big weekend races and perfect for people just looking to try it out. The entry fees are very cheap and there are usually just a few short heats. These do still require a license, but you can buy a single-day USAC race license for like $10.

As others have mentioned, a full-field Cat-5 crit can be a sketchy place to learn. Lots of inexperienced 20 somethings with poor bike handling skills racing shoulder to shoulder at max HR around tight turns.

Also, cyclocross is a really fun and low-key way to dip your toe into bike racing. The crashing hurts less than road or crit racing, the vibe is generally far less aggressive.
Old 05-11-21, 02:02 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Start with the fast local group rides. Prepare to get yelled at. Get used to safely riding close with other riders. Prepare a large dose of humility. You'll get your ass handed to you for a while.

Old 05-12-21, 05:46 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Cue the botto thread, so you want to go racing
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 05-12-21, 05:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Cue the botto thread, so you want to go racing
https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-b...s-tip-two.html
Old 05-12-21, 05:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
You just beat me to it!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-12-21, 06:00 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Thanks, I was searching for the link
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.