Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Rear Hub Axle

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campagnolo Rear Hub Axle

Old 05-25-21, 11:45 AM
Peletonpete

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Campagnolo Rear Hub Axle

Hi
Can anyone help me as to where I can obtain a longer rear Campagnolo hub axle? My old freewheel cassette had a recess on the lockring face, but on the new freewheel there’s no recess, which shortens the axle length (129mm).

Many thanks
PP
Old 05-25-21, 12:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3857 Post(s)
Liked 6,449 Times in 3,189 Posts
Assuming you need a hollow axle, here's a good deal if this listed item is 10mm x 26tpi. Maybe send a note to the seller to ensure it's not 9.5mm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32406258758...8AAOSw74ReOGlR

edit: I don't shop Amazon much, but here's a decent deal as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Manufa...1968722&sr=8-3

Last edited by SurferRosa; 05-25-21 at 12:54 PM.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-25-21, 01:53 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I've heard on a recent thread here that it really doesn't matter much to the cones whether the axle has 26 TPI (Campagnolo [and Sturmey-Archer]) or 25.4 (1.0 mm, everyone else) thread pitch. YMMV.
Old 05-25-21, 09:35 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I've heard on a recent thread here that it really doesn't matter much to the cones whether the axle has 26 TPI (Campagnolo [and Sturmey-Archer]) or 25.4 (1.0 mm, everyone else) thread pitch. YMMV.
Oh, it matters. They're not interchangeable at all.

Wheels Mfg. has axles in both threads and many lengths. I used one of their QR rear axles, 10mm x 26tpi x 146mm, to put a C-Record hub in a 135mm spacing frame.

Wheels Manufacturing Hub Axles (wheelsmfg.com)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 05-26-21, 01:25 AM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Peletonpete
Hi
Can anyone help me as to where I can obtain a longer rear Campagnolo hub axle? My old freewheel cassette had a recess on the lockring face, but on the new freewheel there’s no recess, which shortens the axle length (129mm).

Many thanks
PP

Maybe There's something I'm missing here, isn't the axle length determined by the rear dropout spacing? On all the campy hubs I've dealt with the axle didn't come in contact with a freewheel. A freehub is an entirely different story.
Old 05-26-21, 01:59 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Ham fisted hammer mechanic advice !!!

If it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer!

This illustration shows the Thread Pitch Error between 26 Threads Per Inch and 1mm Pitch. At 4 turns onto the axle there is .02mm difference (.0008"). At 8 turns the error becomes .04mm (.0016") and the cone begins to bind. 12 turns results in a .06mm error (.0024") and at 16 turns it's .08mm (.0032")

That doesn't sound like much but a hardened cone will deform the fine pitch threads on the softer steel axle as the cone is forced further on. This can result in cones frequently loosening in use or a cone that's very difficult to adjust or remove.
Wheels Mfg axles don't have slots milled in for keyed lock washers like original Campy axles. Over time, Campagnolo stopped slotting their axles and using those washers because the keys in the washers damaged the axle threads as they were tightened or loosened.

Some other points.

Back in the 70's we had a lot of problems with strong, heavy or curb jumper riders bending or breaking Campy rear axles. Our simple solution was to replace the Campy axles with a complete Zeus 10mm x 1mm axle and cones. They were the same dimensions except for the thread pitch plus the Zeus axles were much stronger and we never had any that broke or bent.

The complete Zeus axles with cones and hardware was less than half the price of just a Campy axle!

The only problem was Campy purists who didn't want their bike contaminated with superior quality Zeus parts!

The other solution was the Wheels Mfg axles made of much stronger heat treated alloy steel. They never bent or broke either!

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-p...olo-axles.html

I have Campy 5 speed rear axles in 129mm, 130mm, 131mm 132mm and 134mm lengths!

The shortest Wheels Mfg Campy style 10mm x 26tpi axle is 141mm. Buy one of those and cut it to length.

I like 4mm to 5mm of axle protruding out of the lock nuts on both sides.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-26-21 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-26-21, 08:30 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
i am duly chastened, and unworthy.
Old 05-26-21, 10:47 AM
Peletonpete

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Many thanks everyone for all your
excellent advice…. That’s helped immensely👍👏🏻👏🏻
Old 05-26-21, 11:18 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by ltokuno
Maybe There's something I'm missing here, isn't the axle length determined by the rear dropout spacing?
I think his new freewheel is wider than the original, and his old axle isn't long enough in the dropout. So he needs a new, longer axle. Dropout spacing can usually be widened a tad for whatever hub spacing you're using. Most folks like a little more than 3mm of axle on each side in the dropout.
Old 05-26-21, 10:46 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
verktyg wrote:
"Wheels Mfg axles don't have slots milled in for keyed lock washers like original Campy axles. Over time, Campagnolo stopped slotting their axles and using those washers because the keys in the washers damaged the axle threads as they were tightened or loosened."

I've bought a number of WM axles for Campy hubs. On the tabbed (keyed) washers: I grind those tabs off with a Dremel & reuse them. The washers then, go right on w/o issue...
Old 05-27-21, 07:02 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,326 Times in 1,374 Posts
verktyg Jeff Wills SurferRosa

I am looking for a Campagnolo axle cones. Do you know of a source for good ones? I need a sets for front and rear

I was looking at grabbing this for the rear
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28418061153...QAAOSw0J5gJQ~Q

GIPIEMME COMPLETE REAR AXLE WITH CONES ASSE E CONI NOS, never assembled

· All components are no marked but I think GIPIEMME brand

· Compatible thread with Campagnolo cones

· Hollow axle

· Length of axle mm 130

· Weight grams 90 circa

and for front - still looking. Since they take 7/32nd bearings are there any other companies besides Zeus that are compatible (or was Zeus only god for rears)**********
Peletonpete Sorry for hijacking this thread

Last edited by WGB; 05-27-21 at 07:35 AM.
Likes For WGB:
Old 05-27-21, 08:09 AM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
+1 on the Wheels MFG replacement axles. I think the last one I purchased on Amazon.
Old 05-27-21, 10:05 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by WGB
I am looking for a Campagnolo axle cones. Do you know of a source for good ones? I need a sets for front and rear.
You might ask @Mad Honk.
Old 05-27-21, 11:26 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,133 Posts
SurferRosa,
The following sources for the cones: Casanova9898 item number 373266392161 and vievelo item number 393204058054 These are pairs of NOS cones. The other option is for Wes to send me his old ones and let me try to repair them. There are other ways such as buying the entire axle and cone sets from cycleguyjack and having spare parts lying around. Or even look for hubs and then have even more spare parts lying around Like I do.

And a note to WES, Zeus was probably God of Rears, and people who acted like horses' rears. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 05-27-21 at 05:56 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-28-21, 08:26 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,326 Times in 1,374 Posts
Mad Honk
I may have take you up on the cones.
I traded a 9 speed clincher wheelset for a set tubulars with Campy rims with someone I knew that assured me were "ready to go" - just needed grease. Turns out, not so lucky.

I need a narrow wheelset for a red Schwinn frameset I have that sits forlornly in my garage.... My nephew can't return to Canada with those tubulars I bought off of @Mattdiano as he let his passport expire so he has to stay in New York or he can't go back. I'm resigned to having to build my own wheelset.
Old 05-29-21, 04:57 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,133 Posts
Wes,
I am sure your phone will reach across the border since I just talked to northern Ontario last night. Call me at 812-336-dave. Yes it is a vanity number, but my golf business needed something the customers could remember; and that pays for my bike indulgences. Smiles, MH
Old 05-30-21, 08:02 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
It was only in April, but I was able to purchase a Wheel Manufacturing axle, 10x26x137 (model A-07) from Boulderbicycle.bike but they are OOS now. They still have a 141mm version (model A-08) available for $29.00.

The sell an assortment of vintage Campy hub parts at reasonable prices.
Likes For momoman:
Old 02-20-22, 11:47 AM
67Carlton

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
Paging verktyg please.

Resurrecting this old thread with a follow-up question: When Zeusing up a Campy hub, would there be indicator markings on any of the relevant parts? I have a Record hub with an axle that is 141.45mm long, 9.85mm in diameter and does not have the milled slot. The locknut is knurlled on the sides as well as the end that would make contact with the dropout (photo below). While at the co-op yesterday, I found a couple of 129mm axles, marked 'Brev. Campagnolo' on the smooth center section of the axle, also 9.85mm in diameter, though with a milled slot. Not knowing anything about potential tpi issues, I was hoping to use one of these to convert the hub for a new 120mm spaced 5-speed project, but upon removing the existing locknut from the existing axle I find it threads on only a couple of turns (about the length of the locknut itself), which leads me to wonder whether this hub has been Zeused. I removed the rest of the spacers and find no obvious markings (Campy or otherwise) on the existing axle.

1 Lugnut or gkamieneski , did your Wheels Mfg axles have any markings?

I am assuming at this point that I either need new cones and locknuts to use the 129mm axle with this hub, to use another hub, or to just cut down the existing one, but thanks in advance for any insights!

Old 02-20-22, 01:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
If it is original Campagnolo Nuovo Record, then the cones, and perhaps the lock nuts will be marked.

I'd try your finicky parts on axles you know have 1mm thread pitch.
Old 02-20-22, 03:02 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
10 x 1 ...., and 10 x 26 = ( Campy thread) are NOT interchangeable

Miche hubs use 10 x 26 axles .... Wheels Mfg makes replacement axles in 10 x 26 = ( commopnly available )
Likes For TPL:
Old 02-20-22, 03:14 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Peletonpete ....from above, freewheels are not cassettes

cassettes are not freewheels

2 entirely different parts that simply will not interchange

100 dollars is yours when you are able to actually install a cassette on a hub made for a freewheel

bicycle parts actually have very specific names

pedals are not 'foot platforms' ....also, no doohickeys, thingamabobs or whatchamacallits
Old 02-20-22, 09:05 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by Peletonpete
Hi

Many thanks
PP
this reads to me that it is a freehub assembly.
a different axle is going to be a trick.
there were lots of minor but significant changes
Old 02-20-22, 09:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
this reads to me that it is a freehub assembly.
a different axle is going to be a trick.
there were lots of minor but significant changes
This is a mighty old thread that was bumped.

For some reason I believe my old bike was always 126mm making things easier.

As I progressively moved from 2x5 to 2x6 to 2x7 gearing, I simply moved the washers and spacers around between the left and right side of the hub, and seemed to survive. I wasn't too good at dishing years ago, but a bit better now.

Anyway, no need for a new axle when all I needed to do was flip a spacer from one side to the other.

The last freewheel I ended up was a DNP Epoch 7 speed which was just a touch wider than other 7 speed freewheels, but I managed to squeeze a last touch of adjustment out of the axle. I think the company may have started machining for the back side overhang on at least some of their freewheels since that time.

Also, as mentioned above, if one changes the OLD by say 1mm, recenter the axle, and it may well be fine.
Old 02-20-22, 09:57 PM
67Carlton

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
Apologies

Originally Posted by CliffordK
This is a mighty old thread that was bumped.

For some reason I believe my old bike was always 126mm making things easier.

As I progressively moved from 2x5 to 2x6 to 2x7 gearing, I simply moved the washers and spacers around between the left and right side of the hub, and seemed to survive. I wasn't too good at dishing years ago, but a bit better now.

Anyway, no need for a new axle when all I needed to do was flip a spacer from one side to the other.

The last freewheel I ended up was a DNP Epoch 7 speed which was just a touch wider than other 7 speed freewheels, but I managed to squeeze a last touch of adjustment out of the axle. I think the company may have started machining for the back side overhang on at least some of their freewheels since that time.

Also, as mentioned above, if one changes the OLD by say 1mm, recenter the axle, and it may well be fine.
Yes, apologies for reawakening this thread, particularly to poor Pete who has been raked over the coals on terminology. I thought it might be good to use this thread as I thought my question was a specific enough follow-up to verktyg's original explanation, which I had found useful in understanding where I had likely gone wrong.
Old 08-25-22, 02:09 PM
mr_palomar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello, the campy track axle i have (part no. RH-PI001) appears to be too short for my 120mm r.d.s. frame (i am working on a single speed conversion using a nuovo record hub). i switched out the stock hollow axle for this track axle, which measures 155mm overall. if i could ask, has anyone encountered this? should i head over the wheels manufacturing for their solid axle which is 174mm? many thanks! (and, apologies for adding a new post here but i found this thread, esp. post no. 6 by verktyg, to be super helpful). 🙏

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.