Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best tool for Shimano external bottom brackets

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-21, 03:30 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts

What's the best tool for servicing Shimano external bottom brackets (Hollowtech II) and installing centerlock disc rotors that use the same spline pattern? Looking at either Shimano's tools (TL-FC32 and TL-FC16) or the Park tool that combines those (BBT-9). Similar cost either way. The Park tool goes all the way around which might be more secure but also means you can't tighten a BB without removing the crank. Any opinions or suggestions on similar tools I should consider instead?
Old 06-22-21, 03:47 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I use a BBT-9. The only ones I wouldn't recommend are those that attach to an adjustable wrench or socket, as they tend to "walk" off the splines.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-22-21, 04:33 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
side note: there are multiple sizes (3 I think) of Shimano HTII BBs, each requiring their own tool.
Old 06-22-21, 06:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
side note: there are multiple sizes (3 I think) of Shimano HTII BBs, each requiring their own tool.
IIRC some BB that are different come with an plastic insert that fits into the park tool. this was the case for ones (english and italian) I used with 105 5800 crankset on 2 different bikes

Old 06-22-21, 06:38 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
IIRC some BB that are different come with an plastic insert that fits into the park tool. this was the case for ones (english and italian) I used with 105 5800 crankset on 2 different bikes
I once got an XT BB and it was smaller than the installed Deore BB. It didn't come with the tool adapter insert, so another thing to buy.
Old 06-22-21, 09:22 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I use a BBT-9. The only ones I wouldn't recommend are those that attach to an adjustable wrench or socket, as they tend to "walk" off the splines.
I prefer the socket style, haven't found walking off to be an issue like it is for cartridge BBs. I like that I can use a ratchet to facilitate getting it screwed in quick and easy, and the leverage I get with the ratchet without having a narrow piece of metal cutting into my hand trying to get a tight BB loose.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 06-22-21, 09:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Haven’t bought one but intended to get a socket style because I read here somewhere the sheet metal style interferes with the drive side yoke on hard tails like mine
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-22-21, 10:19 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
You can reposition the flat wrench style when it hits the frame, not really a huge problem. The flat steel style wrench does however tend to dig into the cups pretty bad. Just cosmetic damage, but get a socket style tool if that would bother you.

I like to use an aluminum socket tool on external cups to keep the damage to a minimum. Bonus points for a 1/2" drive so I can use the big breaker bar when they get stuck.
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 06-23-21, 08:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
If you are looking to have the well stocked tool box, why not go with the tools listed in the Shimano DM's for your models of BB. If you don't like the Shimano tool itself, then just find the generic knock off of the same tool.

But if you aren't going to be changing BB's often, I'd just let the LBS or a friend own the tool and use theirs.
Old 06-23-21, 09:28 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
i just bought a flat 44mm BB tool made by BW which includes a crank arm cap preload tool. It is solid and worked fine and at $15 cost less than the inexpensive BB, which made some kind of sense to me. It only slightly dug into the cup splines. More torque = more damage I assume
Old 06-23-21, 11:11 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Thanks for this. I have two bikes with BBR60s, and didn't realize that the splines are a slightly different size than the the centerlock rotor lockring on a Fulcrum wheelset. I was hoping I could get one tool for both cases.

Originally Posted by Iride01
But if you aren't going to be changing BB's often, I'd just let the LBS or a friend own the tool and use theirs.
Given the above, and that in years of working on bikes I've never removed a bottom bracket (never had one fail), you're probably right. Only time I've needed that tool was to install a bottom bracket on a bike I built up myself. Getting my LBS to remove and reinstall a bottom bracket would cost about as much as the tool to do it, but I'm sure a friend has the right tool, or I can visit the local bike co-op and use the tools there. My office used to have a nice set of tools (bought by our bicycle commuter club) but we moved into a new building the day before our local stay-at-home order went into effect last March, and unfortunately the tools disappeared somewhere in the chaos of rushed relocation.
Old 06-23-21, 02:18 PM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
The best: Cyclus Snap-in system

Rated “best” by Barnett Bicycle Institute. Two handles evenly distributes torque

Cyclus Snap-in handle, Hollowtech insert, and centering rod.

Detail of Hollowtech insert.

Removable insert for 3/8” square drive.
. Centering rod prevents cam out. 3/8” square insert for using a torque wrench.
Old 06-23-21, 02:31 PM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Second best: Stein Tool Cartridge Bottom Bracket Handle

Stein CBBH. But no centering rod. BBI used to rate it best until Cyclus invented their system.

JA Stein Cartridge Bottom Bracket handle with a SuperB TB-1005 cartridge (which has a 1/2” square drive).

Closeup of SuperB TB-1005
Old 06-23-21, 08:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Numerozero
Rated “best” by Barnett Bicycle Institute. Two handles evenly distributes torque

Cyclus Snap-in handle, Hollowtech insert, and centering rod.

Detail of Hollowtech insert.

Removable insert for 3/8” square drive.
. Centering rod prevents cam out. 3/8” square insert for using a torque wrench.
I was going to say Abbey tools and a Snap-On Digital Torque Wrench but that Cyclus thing looks pretty neat. I might have to take a closer look at that unfortunately their website is terrible or at least for me it was couldn't click on any links.
Old 06-23-21, 09:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Can just get a slide handle breaker bar for the socket, never needed it but it can duplicate the cyclus tool.