Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lightweight vintage triple cranksets

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lightweight vintage triple cranksets

Old 08-02-21, 12:43 PM
klevin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The Sugino AT mentioned above is a very attractive crank. This one takes a 3U spindle. It took me a long time to find a bolted one. The Shimano 600 FC-6206 is a high quality, attractive crank. Somewhat hard to find in 170 crankarm size.

Your bike reminds me of the first decent bike I owned, a Centurion, don't remember which model, that I got while in grad school at UCSB, around 1975. Broke spokes regularly until I built new wheels with 14g spokes, phil wood hubs and mavic rims. It was a great bike that sadly was stolen when I moved to chicago in 1980.
Likes For klevin:
Old 08-02-21, 12:43 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
My crazy homespun trekking triple that I have built up is "vintage" in a cartoon kind of vintage way... I took 3 gold KCNC "SpiderRings" and mounted these on the correct BCD splined spider that mounts on Cannondale Hollowgram SL crank arms and onto the 30mm Hollowgram bottom bracket. The rings I believe are 24/34/48. I am at work now and cannot post photos yet (but I can later if anyone is interested). I believe the weight on this crank should be pretty low. I will weigh it on my Pampered Chef digital kitchen scale (don't judge me).

I have a threaded English bottom bracket on my Cannondale Silk Tour really wants this BB30 specific triple crank to run on it. it really does. I bought a BSA30 threaded bottom bracket - "Aerozine" brand which is pretty nice Taiwanese quality. It is installed on the bike and looks cool. Unfortunately the axle length is wrong and when I torque the bolts the bearings tighten up making turning the axle too tight. I plan to reach out to my Cannondale dealer to make my custom triple crank a reality.
Old 08-02-21, 12:51 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I have a M900 XTR crank on my Green Superior. These are hard to find, even in OK shape, but I managed to score a NOS set with 172.5mm arms. (I have nice friends.)

I don't know how much they weigh. Considering the size of my post-COVID belly... I don't care.

I agreShannonM - these are almost too gorgeous to use. If only Shimano would recognize the cult status of this stuff and re-issue some of it.

But short of this there is a real need for a tutorial or better yet, a service - that can restore that lustrous polished, yet protected and clear anodized finish of these lovely period components. I have an M900 crankset that I purchased used a few years ago for use on a touring road triple that is ready for the 110/74 rings. I intend to use the made in USA Salsa rings in this size. I would like to re-finish the arms by stripping the anodizing, polishing it and then maybe having then powder coated a clear finish.
Old 08-02-21, 02:09 PM
Tracy43

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Rene Herse triples are available new at reneherse.com. I can’t post the link because I’m a newbie.🙁
Likes For Tracy43:
Old 08-02-21, 09:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
My crazy homespun trekking triple that I have built up is "vintage" in a cartoon kind of vintage way... I took 3 gold KCNC "SpiderRings" and mounted these on the correct BCD splined spider that mounts on Cannondale Hollowgram SL crank arms and onto the 30mm Hollowgram bottom bracket. The rings I believe are 24/34/48. I am at work now and cannot post photos yet (but I can later if anyone is interested). I believe the weight on this crank should be pretty low. I will weigh it on my Pampered Chef digital kitchen scale.
*raises hand*

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-02-21 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-02-21, 10:08 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
*raises hand*

I have not weighed it yet.
Likes For masi61:
Old 08-02-21, 10:22 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I agree- these are almost too gorgeous to use. If only Shimano would recognize the cult status of this stuff and re-issue some of it.

But short of this there is a real need for a tutorial or better yet, a service - that can restore that lustrous polished, yet protected and clear anodized finish of these lovely period components. I have an M900 crankset that I purchased used a few years ago for use on a touring road triple that is ready for the 110/74 rings. I intend to use the made in USA Salsa rings in this size. I would like to re-finish the arms by stripping the anodizing, polishing it and then maybe having then powder coated a clear finish.
Yeah. thanks to my wonky right ankle there it now a polished spot on the right crankarm, right where it "bends" inward. Shucks... bikes were meant to be ridden, weren't they?

I'm not sure of the original finish on the XTR arms. I'm not sure it's anodizing... it actually feels like lacquer. I need to consult an aluminum finishing expert.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 08-03-21, 09:13 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Newly acquired Motobecane Grand Record with various customizations, running a Specialities TA triple and a Super Record RD with Rally long cages. Just discovered yesterday, however, that my 34 chainring is bent and will require replacement. Probably go with a 30 or 32, anyway. Now I just need a freewheel worthy of that long cage.

Old 08-03-21, 10:47 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
oh man, C&V is catching up to CNC. Paul derailleurs in 3,2,1...

Given how much easier CNC has gotten in 20 years, how soon are we going to see reproduction home-made cranks? Even better, are people going to start printing hollow steel cranksets?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-03-21, 11:08 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
Just weighed this at 520g with bolt and washer with 52/42/30 rings, sans pedal . Racing t items are 20 years old now for the newest versions. Qualifies as C&V.
P1050211 on Flickr