Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic 500 RD hub service

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mavic 500 RD hub service

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 12:34 AM
Brad W

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mavic 500 RD hub service

Hi, first time posting here but have received much information just browsing. My question is I have a set of wheels that are made up with mavic 500 RD hubs. I bought them back in the early nineties and made up with the mavic open pro rims they have been rock solid.

I知 not a high milage rider but there is some miles on these wheel sets. I would like to know if any one has any experience with these hubs or at the very least if anyone knows what size bearings they take. I know they take sealed bearings. I have found a diagram on line that shows an exploded view of the hubs but does not give spec. of whats needed for repair.

The hubs at this time spin great and make no sound and have no wobble to them. I知 just thinking it may be time to service them.

Thanks, Brad
Old 02-05-08, 01:44 AM
neilG

Bikes: Madone, De Rosa, Langster, old Brit track iron

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a 6001 bearing. If it ain't broke, my advice is to leave it alone.
Likes For neilG:
Old 02-05-08, 08:59 AM
Brad W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks neilG for the info. I agree with you, I think I'll let the hubs be unless i have to work on them.

Brad
Old 02-05-08, 10:14 AM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brad W
Hi, first time posting here but have received much information just browsing. My question is I have a set of wheels that are made up with mavic 500 RD hubs. I bought them back in the early nineties and made up with the mavic open pro rims they have been rock solid.

I知 not a high milage rider but there is some miles on these wheel sets. I would like to know if any one has any experience with these hubs or at the very least if anyone knows what size bearings they take. I know they take sealed bearings. I have found a diagram on line that shows an exploded view of the hubs but does not give spec. of whats needed for repair.

The hubs at this time spin great and make no sound and have no wobble to them. I知 just thinking it may be time to service them.

Thanks, Brad
The test to determine if they need to be replaced, or not, is very simple. Remove the axle and spin the bearing with your finger tip. If they feel smooth, they are good. If they are bad, they will feel scratchy/lumpy/loose/or_whatever - you'll know it right away. I'm going to say that over 90% of the cartridge bearings that get replaced in hubs do not need to be.
Old 02-05-08, 10:28 PM
Brad W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that this weekend.

Brad
Old 08-02-21, 12:02 PM
Mr.Toolbox

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
I'm thinking of repacking mine with fresh grease, have any one done the same, or do you just ride until they fail?
I know how "old" grease typically look based on experience so I'm a bit worried that maybe I'll just kill the bearings right away if I start riding..
Old 08-02-21, 12:36 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Those are great hubs! I have several and they are sweet. If they run smooth, don't fix what ain't broke. Replacing the bearings is better than trying to replace the grease behind the seals.
Old 08-02-21, 01:33 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Toolbox
I'm thinking of repacking mine with fresh grease, have any one done the same, or do you just ride until they fail?
I know how "old" grease typically look based on experience so I'm a bit worried that maybe I'll just kill the bearings right away if I start riding..
I do my sealed bearings whenever I think is a good time to do it. As mentioned if you know the procedure and have the tools just replacing them may be easier but IMO this is a waste. Just carefully remove the seals with a thin blade, spray some solvent to remove the old grease, let the solvent dry out, replace grease, install seals, done, and not worry about your bearings for 2+ years unless you're fording rivers regularly.
Old 08-02-21, 06:19 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I do my sealed bearings whenever I think is a good time to do it. As mentioned if you know the procedure and have the tools just replacing them may be easier but IMO this is a waste. Just carefully remove the seals with a thin blade, spray some solvent to remove the old grease, let the solvent dry out, replace grease, install seals, done, and not worry about your bearings for 2+ years unless you're fording rivers regularly.
Assuming we're talking about cartridge bearings, do you pull them out of the hub or leave them in? I guess I'd just replace them, cuz I'm pretty sure I'd mung the seals up good if I tried to repack them. Unless Mavic, being French, used some oddball size that nobody's made since the Mitterand administration. If they're a standard size, buy some new SKFs and ride 'em until the 2040s.

Fantastic hubs, at least by reputation. (And looks...) I've always wanted a pair. (And that lovely, lovely SSC "erector set" rear derailleur... I don't care how they shift, I just want one.)

--Shannon
Old 08-02-21, 07:58 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Assuming we're talking about cartridge bearings, do you pull them out of the hub or leave them in?
If you can get the seals off without damaging them while the bearings are in place then that's what I'd do. I haven't come across any yet including motorcycle wheel bearings that sit inboard a fair amount that I couldn't pry the seals out without damage.