Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Trek Verve+ 2 Hybrid E-Bike

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Trek Verve+ 2 Hybrid E-Bike

Old 10-08-21, 09:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
I sort of contemplate not having bought a spesh turbo vado SL because it's lighter, but I must admit this was a great choice.

Some more points. The front rotor as 160mm is not enough for hard stops, especially at the speed this bike can sustain. 180mm would've been a smarter choice, maybe just for me

The tires are great. I just feel like the bike can handle gravel well and needs less smooth tires for true all terrain riding.

All in all, low end or not, its tuned perfectly for what I need.
The Turbo Vado SL is a neat bike and certainly a really nice light machine. It is probably the next e-bike in the quiver once I have ridden the R+M enough and paid it off.

The brakes on that bike are probably not all that stoppy. I would look at some double piston stuff if you want some better stopping and maybe look at the Magura MDR-P rotors. But yeah most of the bikes in that category are for folks riding more occasionally so while tons of fun not quite the machine we might want as regular cyclists.
Old 10-17-21, 05:52 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The Turbo Vado SL is a neat bike and certainly a really nice light machine. It is probably the next e-bike in the quiver once I have ridden the R+M enough and paid it off.

The brakes on that bike are probably not all that stoppy. I would look at some double piston stuff if you want some better stopping and maybe look at the Magura MDR-P rotors. But yeah most of the bikes in that category are for folks riding more occasionally so while tons of fun not quite the machine we might want as regular cyclists.
In terms of helping you set an ideal long distance pace, keep you comfortable for longer distance trips, nice touch of stability while still offering relatively good handling for its weight, its hard to beat and can still cater to a large variety of buyers in my opinion.

Personally, I would try using 180mm crank arms with this bike if I was able to find them.

I have some light scrape marks on the ends of both crank arms, although light enough that I've never heard or felt any scraping around those tight turns. The heavy e bike leans quite a lot... 305mm bb height would be totally sufficient... for 185mm crank arms, on a mountain bike.

As long as you are not pulling any super crazy or dangerous moves at high speeds and risking your life, the stock front brake is totally sufficient. This is coming from someone that will sometimes downright thrash the bike.

Overall, im very pleased with the quality and dependability of this bike. It is trustworthy, comfortable and quite fast for being so heavy with only 170mm crank arms.
Old 10-19-21, 03:17 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

veganbikes have you seen the Kona Dew E? I was looking at some other bikes similar to the spesh, lightweight and high performance. Maybe I shouldn't of rushed into the purchase of my Trek, but I still do feel like I made an overall good choice. The extra weight of the bike really aids with stability and ride quality at speed.

I've also got a suntour suspension seatpost installed which I've tuned to be pretty stiff, as I keep the majority of my weight out of the saddle on a typical ride anyways. Its a great addition to a bike like this; nice and supple ride quality, still good response when needed.
Old 10-21-21, 08:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

veganbikes have you seen the Kona Dew E? I was looking at some other bikes similar to the spesh, lightweight and high performance. Maybe I shouldn't of rushed into the purchase of my Trek, but I still do feel like I made an overall good choice. The extra weight of the bike really aids with stability and ride quality at speed.

I've also got a suntour suspension seatpost installed which I've tuned to be pretty stiff, as I keep the majority of my weight out of the saddle on a typical ride anyways. Its a great addition to a bike like this; nice and supple ride quality, still good response when needed.
Don't really care for that bike was not really a fan of the Shimano DU would again rather just have had the Gazelle Medeo T10 which gets me a Bosch Performance Line motor 500wh battery pack and Deore 10 speed and 4a charger for the same dang price. Pretty much across the board Gazelle hits the price point with more quality than most, sure they may miss out on some stuff here and there and could improve certain things but generally they do OK and for the money typically beat out a lot of others.

That road bike that Kona makes is pretty meh as well, 20mph is basically a non-starter for road, perfect for mountain but I want something with a speed motor if I am building a drop bar bike and certainly helpful for many commuters as well. The looks aren't bad though on their stuff but what you get isn't that exciting.

Buying a bike especially an e-bike shouldn't be rushed. It is a big purchase and spending too little gets you something that is OK and certainly fun but misses out on a lot of marks and isn't always the long term bike but sometimes is stuck into that because buying another can get expensive and what to do with the old one. That is the big reason I got what I got is because I knew it was as close to what I wanted as existed at the time and I had been researching and riding for a while and rode that bike a bunch and knew I wasn't going to find better elsewhere.
Old 10-22-21, 03:02 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Don't really care for that bike was not really a fan of the Shimano DU would again rather just have had the Gazelle Medeo T10 which gets me a Bosch Performance Line motor 500wh battery pack and Deore 10 speed and 4a charger for the same dang price. Pretty much across the board Gazelle hits the price point with more quality than most, sure they may miss out on some stuff here and there and could improve certain things but generally they do OK and for the money typically beat out a lot of others.

That road bike that Kona makes is pretty meh as well, 20mph is basically a non-starter for road, perfect for mountain but I want something with a speed motor if I am building a drop bar bike and certainly helpful for many commuters as well. The looks aren't bad though on their stuff but what you get isn't that exciting.

Buying a bike especially an e-bike shouldn't be rushed. It is a big purchase and spending too little gets you something that is OK and certainly fun but misses out on a lot of marks and isn't always the long term bike but sometimes is stuck into that because buying another can get expensive and what to do with the old one. That is the big reason I got what I got is because I knew it was as close to what I wanted as existed at the time and I had been researching and riding for a while and rode that bike a bunch and knew I wasn't going to find better elsewhere.
I've never been left feeling like 32km as the max assist speed wasn't enough. You'd need more assistance than 250w at that speed anyways if you really wanted to go that fast, or actually needed to rather.

For real world riding, even for a 55lb, the active line motor is sufficient. Considering that you can find bikes lighter than 45lb, than it would be totally sufficient for sure.

would you stick to 700x45 when replacing tires? 700x47? Or move to max allowable size, 700x50?
Old 10-22-21, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I've never been left feeling like 32km as the max assist speed wasn't enough. You'd need more assistance than 250w at that speed anyways if you really wanted to go that fast, or actually needed to rather.

For real world riding, even for a 55lb, the active line motor is sufficient. Considering that you can find bikes lighter than 45lb, than it would be totally sufficient for sure.

would you stick to 700x45 when replacing tires? 700x47? Or move to max allowable size, 700x50?
Forget the speed it is the torque I want really but for commuting 28mph is quite useful. The active line is probably fine for the flat areas but I felt they were pretty wimpy and weak for actual hills. Plus the parts that usually come with active line stuff are typically not that great. If the bike was super light like say the Vado SL then maybe that kind of motor would work but it is so big and clunky and not designed to be lightweight. The Bosch system is excellent, I love it but it is not a lightweight system and wasn't designed that way.

Widest tires nearly always aside from maybe fat bikes or a track bike on the track doing only track things.
Old 10-28-21, 12:06 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Forget the speed it is the torque I want really but for commuting 28mph is quite useful. The active line is probably fine for the flat areas but I felt they were pretty wimpy and weak for actual hills. Plus the parts that usually come with active line stuff are typically not that great. If the bike was super light like say the Vado SL then maybe that kind of motor would work but it is so big and clunky and not designed to be lightweight. The Bosch system is excellent, I love it but it is not a lightweight system and wasn't designed that way.

Widest tires nearly always aside from maybe fat bikes or a track bike on the track doing only track things.
I was looking around for a 13-36 or 13-38 cassette to replace my stock HG-200 11-36 and came across a 12-36. The simple change in the smallest cog helped bring the rest of the ratios closer together and add one extra tooth to the cogs i use most often. It was a very welcome change to my regular commutes. I've noticed that the HG400 cassette also shifts a lot smoother. The 12t cog is still mostly useless for me however.

Ideally I'd prefer a 40t front ring, 13-42 ish cassette, 175-180mm crank arms and slightly thicker tires for the small adjustment in gear inches im looking for.
Old 07-01-22, 07:15 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

veganbikes I biked about 52km in just under two hours yesterday, on my ebike. I took about 3 quick breaks throughout. My back started to get somewhat sore, due to my handlebar drop. But as long as stop more regularly to do lots of stretching, I can easily cover distances like this without much effort.