Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will this replacement STI shifter suit?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-21, 07:29 PM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm trying to replace a worn out 9 speed Tiagra right rear shifter on my 12 year old Specialized Tricross Sport, which has cantilever brakes and SLX cassette. The LBS has said it's impossible to the part I need right now, so to look on eBay. It doesn't seem too hard to find second hand Sora, Tiagra or even Ultegra parts locally at a price I'm happy to pay. I just want to check there isn't something I'm missing, like these are newer models that aren't compatible with my drivetrain (perhaps due to pull ratio or something).

This is my bike (can't believe it's still online): https://99spokes.com/en-AU/bikes/spe...s-sport-triple (The cantis are original)

Three possible parts:
- ST-4400
- ST-4500
- ST-6500 6510 9 speed AC73 (without hood)
- or new (but international shipping...): R3000

Are any/all of these compatible? I'd probably pick whichever arrives first, but open to any opinions too.

Last edited by stevage; 10-21-21 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-21-21, 08:49 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by stevage
I'm trying to replace a worn out 9 speed Tiagra right rear shifter on my 12 year old Specialized Tricross Sport, which has cantilever brakes and SLX cassette. The LBS has said it's impossible to the part I need right now, so to look on eBay. It doesn't seem too hard to find second hand Sora, Tiagra or even Ultegra parts locally at a price I'm happy to pay. I just want to check there isn't something I'm missing, like these are newer models that aren't compatible with my drivetrain (perhaps due to pull ratio or something).

This is my bike (can't believe it's still online): https://99spokes.com/en-AU/bikes/spe...s-sport-triple (The cantis are original)

Three possible parts:
- ST-4400 ST-4400 and ST-6500/6501/6510 have similar shape. ST-5500/5510 are another option that is very similar to the ST-65xx and also 9 speed.
- ST-4500 Different shape of body.
- or new (but international shipping...): R3000 Different shape of body. Shift cable routes under the handlebar tape. Sora ST-3300 is 8 speed. ST-3400 also has different shape of body, possible similar to ST-4500.

Are any/all of these compatible? I'd probably pick whichever arrives first, but open to any opinions too.
You should check what model you currently have if you want to have the replacement right shifter have a similar shape to the current left. The model should be imprinted on the plastic body under the rubber hood.
If you have the bike year correct should be ST-4500. A direct replacement will have the best "feel" match.

See notes above.
Old 10-21-21, 08:56 PM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome, thank you. Should have mentioned the current shifters aren't the original ones (almost nothing is original anymore, just the cantis and front derailleur). Just checked and my current shifters are actually Sora

I'm also not super fussed about matching feel - there's a lot of stuff on this bike which is not perfect anymore, I just want to be able to shift one gear at a time without skipping three sprockets.

I take it the answer is those are all compatible?
Old 10-21-21, 09:13 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 234 Posts
Awesome, thank you. Should have mentioned the current shifters aren't the original ones (almost nothing is original anymore, just the cantis and front derailleur). Just checked and my current shifters are actually Sora

I'm also not super fussed about matching feel - there's a lot of stuff on this bike which is not perfect anymore, I just want to be able to shift one gear at a time without skipping three sprockets.

I take it the answer is those are all compatible?
You should still check the model #. Sora has ST-3400 & ST-3500. The 3400 uses a thumb lever for going to a smaller cog and the 3500 uses dual finger levers.

All except the ST-3300 are for 9 speed.
Old 10-22-21, 08:29 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Check out the Microshift brand shifters which will work with your setup or you could even go to a 10 speed set which would require just a new 10 speed cassette while keeping the same derailleurs. A new 9 speed shifter set can be had for around $140US or less. I noticed AU Ebay has a few single right shifters for sale as well as sets. A few forum members use them and are very happy. Road Drop Bar Shifters | microSHIFT

Last edited by Crankycrank; 10-22-21 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-22-21, 10:37 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Any 9 speed Shimano road shifter is compatible.
Old 10-22-21, 12:18 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
I'm trying to replace a worn out 9 speed Tiagra right rear shifter on my 12 year old Specialized Tricross Sport, which has cantilever brakes and SLX cassette.
Here's a NOS Ultegra 9sp right/rear shifter. I ordered it on Monday, received it on Thursday. The seller has a lot of them. Would it work for you?

Good luck!
Old 10-22-21, 12:26 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Three possible parts:
- ST-4400
- ST-4500
- or new (but international shipping...): R3000
If you are just replacing the right shifter then all of these will work. However, if you are replacing both shifters, then the R3000 (2x9) will not work. The left shifter uses a different pull ratio. The R3030 (3x9) on the other hand will work with the older 9 speed drivetrains.
Old 10-28-21, 05:33 AM
stratman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Beware the advice "any nine speed shifter is compatible". That is almost certainly true for the shifting mechanism of the STI unit. But not necessarily the braking part. Shimano STI units introduced after 2008 (I think), used a different sort of BRAKE cable pull. Called NSSLR. In essence the mechanical advantage at the lever, in these later models, is less than earlier models. Which is to say the cable moves more. So your brakes may be less effective with later levers.

I made up a bike with Avid BB7 disc brakes, which are designed around the "old" cable pull, I believe. Initially I used current Sora levers, but was never that impressed with the braking. When I changed to "old" Ultegra Nine-Speed there was an immediate and substantial improvement in braking.

EDIT. Just read your second post. My point might still apply, but the opposite way round. It's all to do with matching your levers with your callipers, for optimum braking. Though worth pointing out that plenty of people report using "mismatched" levers and callipers quite happily. By the way, I'm not talking about the mismatch of road and mountain bike braking components. My point is that there are two (at least) Shimano ROAD braking standards.

Last edited by stratman; 10-28-21 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-28-21, 05:37 AM
stratman

Just read your second post. You say the shifters are actually Sora? Sora nine speed is a current model, why does the bike shop say they can't get them?
Old 10-28-21, 05:45 AM
stratman

Also, don't get an old nine-speed shifter without the hood, thinking "I'll be able to get a new hood". You almost certainly won't. Try searching now for one. For some reason none of the aftermarket hood manufacturers seem to make hoods for 6510s, 5510s, 4500s etc. Your only hope would be to find NOS, and good luck with that. There's quite a long thread somewhere here that I started about this.
Old 10-28-21, 06:10 AM
stratman

Originally Posted by dedhed
Any 9 speed Shimano road shifter is compatible.
Yes. In fact, any 9 speed MTB shifter is also compatible, for the rear. The cross-compatibility of late 90s/early 00s Shimano nine speed is why I am currently buying up any NOS nine speed triple Shimano stuff I can lay my hands on. I'm currently up to 7 rear derailleurs, 3 front derailleurs, and 5 pairs of STIs. You're right, I may have a problem. But at least I know I'm going to have to cycle some serious mileage, have a lot of crashes, or have a lot of bikes stolen to run out.