Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folding bike frames crack tendency poll

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.
View Poll Results: make of your cracked folding frame
Dahon (specify model)
38.46%
Downtube
15.38%
Brompton
23.08%
Bike Friday (specify model)
7.69%
Xootr Swift (specify steel ot alu)
15.38%
Birdy
0%
other model (specify)
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 09:01 PM
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well folks, there has been some discussion and finger pointing lately around the issue of cracks appearing in the frames of certain folding bikes. because folders are subject to different kind of stresses sue to long seatposts, clamps, etc, they may be more prone to this kind of thing. In any case, it may be interesting for all sufferers of this kind of misfortune to tell us the make of their bike and any other useful info regarding frame cracks (repair possibilities, warranty coverage, etc.)
So, what make was YOUR cracked bike?:
Old 08-19-09, 06:09 AM
jakub.ner

Bikes: 2 Xootr Swifts, Dahon Curve, Oxford Winter Beater.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it was a Dahon Vitesse. Cracked at seat tube joint. Didn't replace, stripped parts and recycled the frame.
Old 08-19-09, 06:30 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not cracks in my case, but I had 2 Dahon MU SL’s within the space of a year that both developed serious wear in the hinges. Both bikes where replaced under warrantee. Needless to say, I switched to Bromptons and Moultons (far better build quality) and would never buy a Dahon product ever again.
Old 08-19-09, 08:14 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Collecting anecdotes from forum users is not going to give you any usable information about the quality of a manufacturer's frames.

Unfortunately the only reliable figures would come from the manufacturers (and *possibly* a bike mechanic or retailer with a lot of business), who aren't likely to give you any hard numbers.
Old 08-19-09, 08:30 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol

with about 10 times more ( maybe more than that ) Dahons sold than all of the other combined this poll doesnt make any sense ......

I am sorry
thor
Old 08-19-09, 10:34 AM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
100 years of bike development and we still have cracked frames and flat tires. We should do better than that.

Kam
Old 08-19-09, 05:29 PM
datako

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kamtsa
100 years of bike development and we still have cracked frames and flat tires. We should do better than that.

Kam
We can but people don't want a heavy bike.

The alternative is very expensive light bikes and there's a very thin market at that end.
Old 08-19-09, 10:14 PM
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
lol

with about 10 times more ( maybe more than that ) Dahons sold than all of the other combined this poll doesnt make any sense ......

I am sorry
thor
true, but some interesting info is already coming out! for example: i had never herd of xootr swifts cracking before! too bad the posted did not specify whether it was the steel or aluminum version...

it is also useful for people to see that this is something that does happen, and to be able to relate to others' stories/experiences/solutions
Old 08-19-09, 10:51 PM
Joako

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed
too bad the posted did not specify whether it was the steel or aluminum version...
This was an issue with the earlier aluminum frames (seatube and chainstay cracked or split off, see the swift thread). Xootr has increased the tubing thickness on the newer frames. This increased the weight a bit, but I haven't seen or heard any complaints after this.
Old 08-20-09, 07:08 AM
feijai

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brakemeister
Don't worry, I'm sure it'll get weighted into rates at the end, and we'll have a large enough sample to eliminate the noise. Yeah, that's it.
Old 08-20-09, 09:16 AM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only solution is solid frames and tires...plus an engine!
Old 08-20-09, 04:49 PM
datako

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feijai
Don't worry, I'm sure it'll get weighted into rates at the end, and we'll have a large enough sample to eliminate the noise. Yeah, that's it.
I hope so, because on the figures so far, Dahon and Brompton are equal. Seeing as about 100 times more Dahons are sold than Bromptons, that suggests on the current figures that a Brompton is 100 times more likely to crack!

And Swifts are about 1,000 times more likely to crack than a Dahon.

Relax fans, I don't actually think that is the case
Old 08-20-09, 09:08 PM
K6-III

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seat tube cracked on my '09 Downtube Mini. Horizontal crack radiating from stress relief hole at seat-post clamp area of seat tube. Its replacement is on the way (warranty).
Old 08-22-09, 06:34 AM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Merc. Frame cracked and failed at seat tube joint. Long steel seat tube always at max extension. 4000 miles of riding. about 3 years old.

The failure was not catastrophic because there is a tough plastic insert inside the frame at this point. No accident would have happened without warning because the plastic insert holds everything together rather strongly. It took a persistent effort with tools to remove the plastic insert and cause the parts to separate.
Old 10-21-21, 01:03 AM
Moosehead 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed
well folks, there has been some discussion and finger pointing lately around the issue of cracks appearing in the frames of certain folding bikes. because folders are subject to different kind of stresses sue to long seatposts, clamps, etc, they may be more prone to this kind of thing. In any case, it may be interesting for all sufferers of this kind of misfortune to tell us the make of their bike and any other useful info regarding frame cracks (repair possibilities, warranty coverage, etc.)
So, what make was YOUR cracked bike?:
I have a Dahon/Philips Boardwalk folding bike about 18 years old. It had not been abused or misused in any way, and always well serviced. Without warning the tubular frame at the bottom adjacent to the folding bracket completely cracked/sheared, and threw me on to the road-the bike is now literally in 2 pieces!!
Fortunately, I was not badly injured as I was only going slowly but I dread to think what would have happened had I been going any faster!!
Old 10-21-21, 08:44 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I had an early 2000's Giant Halfway seat tube fail after about 1 year. It was replaced under warranty. Then the frame failed at the bottom bracket. I got a new Giant Expressway under warranty in 2006. Now that frame has cracked and Giant says I can get 20% off any Giant product but that is the extent of their warranty now. I'm not a small guy but absolutely not a big one. 195lbs usually. Never more than 200. No curbs, no funny stuff.
Old 10-21-21, 08:52 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Geez Louise, Moosehead. 2009?! You've got to tell me how you trotters find decades old threads to resurrect. It must be easy. But don't you think you might mention the fact? Don't you? Huh?
Old 10-21-21, 10:08 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Geez Louise, Moosehead. 2009?! You've got to tell me how you trotters find decades old threads to resurrect. It must be easy. But don't you think you might mention the fact? Don't you? Huh?
Old 10-21-21, 07:02 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Super old thread... but its easy to just blame the bike.

To be fair and also useful and accurate, the posters should also mention their weight and type of use.
Old 10-22-21, 10:16 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
All models can have frame issues, but how a company handles the issue is a telling sign of how well they care about their customers. Tern is a main offender.