Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 06:56 PM
BigSung

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrk101
I really like the Schwinn Cimarron. Right now, I have three different sizes. Once I sort it out, I'll probably move two of them on to new homes, and just keep one.
Yeah, I am on the lookout for a smaller sized Schwinn Cimarron. Hoping that I can find a reasonable priced one that fits at some point.
Old 02-09-16, 07:46 PM
NocoRider

Bikes: 3 Frankenbikes (Stumpjumper, Karakoram, Trek 930), Fuso, Tarmac Pro, '72 Fuji Finest, Soma Saga, El Diente, Cannondale tandem, 2 mountain bikes, more...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tape and saddle definitely add good color! I noticed the studded tires - nice! This is the first year I have used studded tires and am amazed at the control and grip. I've got the 26" x 2" Schwalbe Marathon's so they are not a deep snow tire, but I really was looking for something which would keep me upright on ice and for that they're great.
Old 02-09-16, 08:01 PM
NocoRider

Bikes: 3 Frankenbikes (Stumpjumper, Karakoram, Trek 930), Fuso, Tarmac Pro, '72 Fuji Finest, Soma Saga, El Diente, Cannondale tandem, 2 mountain bikes, more...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rust removal with oxalic acid

FYI - Found this thread on the BMX Museum site on how to remove rust from steel frames and thought I'd share for anyone just starting with a vintage restoration or conversion.

The first page of the thread has good description and basics. Long story short, oxalic acid can be used to remove rust from the steel tubes. OA will remove rust stains from chrome and will NOT attack paint nor most decals. Severely rusted chrome will clean up but will have pitting, so no OA doesn't do miracles.

Once the rust has been removed one still needs to protect the bare metal otherwise new rust will form. Frame Saver or similar for the inside of tubes. On the outside one can use clear lacquer or touch-up paint over paint chips which have gone down to bare metal.
Old 02-10-16, 12:04 PM
pfonck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Mongoose IBOC Sport in a singlespeed / beachrace kind off configuration.
Schwalbe Big Apples on 30mm wide rims
Tektro RL520 levers that handle the V-Brakes
Inverted and shortened city bike bars
Surly Stainless 33T up front, 16 on the back. Homemade chain tensioner.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20151107_122802.jpg (98.7 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by pfonck; 02-10-16 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-13-16, 07:58 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Took my bike out for a shakedown cruise this afternoon. It has an odd occasional chain skip when I really hammer it, which I need to figure out. I also need to relearn how to ride dropbars again...found myself grabbing around trying to find the brakes a couple of times.

It's a '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, a store brand for Pederson Sports. Originally dark purple, now powdercoated. Tange plain-gauge chromoly, Deore XT components except for an LX crank, Mavic rims, Ritchey headset and handlebar, Ultegra barends, Shimano 600 brake levers, Tektro CR720 brakes with dual-compound Koolstops, Panaracer Soar tires, and a Murphy Swallow saddle which isn't the ass-hatchet that it looks like, it was fairly comfortable.

Still need to replace the front brake housing and tape the left bar. There's an elbow adapter at the cable hanger that just isn't working out, and the housing isn't long enough to reach the hanger by itself.

Last edited by arex; 02-13-16 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-13-16, 08:02 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Wow...sorry for the picture size.
Old 02-13-16, 08:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Nice build, and the powdercoat color is sharp!
Old 02-13-16, 09:45 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by pfonck
My Mongoose IBOC Sport in a singlespeed / beachrace kind off configuration.
Schwalbe Big Apples on 30mm wide rims
Tektro RL520 levers that handle the V-Brakes
Inverted and shortened city bike bars
Surly Stainless 33T up front, 16 on the back. Homemade chain tensioner.

thats pretty cool, it come with that fork?
Old 02-13-16, 09:50 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Nice build, and the powdercoat color is sharp!
Thanks...working on a head badge for it.
Old 02-14-16, 06:46 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts
My first decent Mtb was a Mongoose IBOC (unsure what model) but came with a RS Judy XC fork and STX components i believe. Raced it for just a few times and cracked the frame. Then picked up my first expensive mtb which was a Giant XTC SE1. I think i paid 1200 and was last years model also. I would love to have one of these again in yellow. Must of been around 2000 or 2001.
Old 02-14-16, 07:00 AM
pfonck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
thats pretty cool, it come with that fork?
Yes that's the standard fork. I really like the look of a straight fork.
Old 02-14-16, 07:11 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
Wow...sorry for the picture size.
Skipping: If the chain and cassette are new, the first thing I check is the rear derailleur hanger. My eyeballs are not good enough to see it, unless it is way off. 75% of the time, IF the chain and cassette are new, its the hanger. The best part is if you have the DAG tool, straightening the hanger is free. If you don't, and you are going to wrench on bikes, I'd buy the tool. Its worth it.

It doesn't take much to bend a hanger. I buy a lot of neglected bikes, and a bent hanger is pretty common for me.

Those bar end shifters and that XT RD should index flawlessly.

Now if you have a used chain or cassette, you may need to change them. Chain wear is easy to measure (just use a ruler). Cassette wear to me is similar to bent derailleur hanger. If it is really bad, easy to spot. But if it is marginal, I can't tell just by looking at it. I keep enough spares around that I just swap it out, after checking the hanger first.

One thing I learned in the chemical industry is to try the FREE stuff first, prior to spending money. Even if the likelihood is relatively low, if I can easily check it at no cost, I do it. Even the 5% chance or even 1% chance stuff happens!

My typical test ride on a bike rebuild is to take it up a hill (one block from my shop) in high gear, and hammer it up the hill. Its the high gears that wear first, so that is the first place I see problems. Most of the time, its the freewheel or cassette, as anymore, I am checking the hanger as part of the rebuild process. I will reuse a freewheel or cassette that "looks good", but I guess I don't know enough as sometimes the ones that look OK aren't. Realize there are a lot of riders out there that rarely shift, and wear out their small cogs. That plus the small ones have a lot fewer teeth in contact with the chain, so they are getting a much tougher load than the big cogs.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-14-16 at 07:15 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 02-14-16, 07:57 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
That is a very useful post. I plan to put it to good use.

eom

Skipping: If the chain and cassette are new, the first thing I check is the rear derailleur hanger. My eyeballs are not good enough to see it, unless it is way off. 75% of the time, IF the chain and cassette are new, its the hanger. The best part is if you have the DAG tool, straightening the hanger is free. If you don't, and you are going to wrench on bikes, I'd buy the tool. Its worth it.

It doesn't take much to bend a hanger. I buy a lot of neglected bikes, and a bent hanger is pretty common for me.

Now if you have a used chain or cassette, you may need to change them. Chain wear is easy to measure (just use a ruler). Cassette wear to me is similar to bent derailleur hanger. If it is really bad, easy to spot. But if it is marginal, I can't tell just by looking at it. I keep enough spares around that I just swap it out, after checking the hanger first.

One thing I learned in the chemical industry is to try the FREE stuff first, prior to spending money. Even if the likelihood is relatively low, if I can easily check it at no cost, I do it. Even the 5% chance or even 1% chance stuff happens!

My typical test ride on a bike rebuild is to take it up a hill (one block from my shop) in high gear, and hammer it up the hill. Its the high gears that wear first, so that is the first place I see problems. Most of the time, its the freewheel or cassette, as anymore, I am checking the hanger as part of the rebuild process. I will reuse a freewheel or cassette that "looks good", but I guess I don't know enough as sometimes the ones that look OK aren't. Realize there are a lot of riders out there that rarely shift, and wear out their small cogs. That plus the small ones have a lot fewer teeth in contact with the chain, so they are getting a much tougher load than the big cogs.
Old 02-14-16, 08:10 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
+1. That is good advice that you won't find in most of the manuals.
Old 02-14-16, 08:39 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Chain and chainrings are new, the cassette is not. However, I examined the cassette pretty closely after I cleaned it, and it looked okay. I think I have a new spare that I was reserving for another bike. I'll put it on today and go for another ride and see what happens.

The hanger is visually straight, and no reason to think it ever got bent. I've had the bike since it was new.

I think the rear indexing is fine, no tell-tale chain rattling of a misaligned derailleur.

And yes, it only happened in higher gears when I was really hammering on it. Nothing in the lower gears.

Old 02-14-16, 10:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Henry III
My first decent Mtb was a Mongoose IBOC (unsure what model) but came with a RS Judy XC fork and STX components i believe. Raced it for just a few times and cracked the frame. Then picked up my first expensive mtb which was a Giant XTC SE1. I think i paid 1200 and was last years model also. I would love to have one of these again in yellow. Must of been around 2000 or 2001.

Was your Mongoose this frame?
Its a '94 and came with the components and fork you mentioned.
I just picked the frame up a couple weeks ago, its been in storage for 20+ years.
Old 02-14-16, 11:00 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Wow...that frame's perfect.

Somebody at the building I work at has an IBOC. Well-used, but looks solid and is eye-catching.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Was your Mongoose this frame?
Its a '94 and came with the components and fork you mentioned.
I just picked the frame up a couple weeks ago, its been in storage for 20+ years.
Old 02-14-16, 11:11 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Originally Posted by eom
That is a very useful post. I plan to put it to good use.

eom
+1
Old 02-14-16, 06:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Wow...that frame's perfect.

Somebody at the building I work at has an IBOC. Well-used, but looks solid and is eye-catching.
Yeah, an old lbs turned internet retailer recently donated 9 or 10 frames to my local collective. All were NOS, though a couple had front derailleur marks on the paint.
Taiwan built raleigh mixtes, a few very large Mongoose mtb rlframes from the 90s, and a few Schwinn Continental frames.
Really odd mix of brand new frames. I cant wait to build it up...probably next fall or winter at this point.
Old 02-15-16, 03:16 AM
BigSung

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BradH
By swapping the stem for a shorter one I got my reach where I wanted it when I added the drop bars. Top tubes were really long back then. For reference my stepson's 16.5" 1991 Trek 850 has a 56cm top tube and a 10cm stem. By swapping in an 8cm stem your reach would be like your road bike.
I finally went down to SoCal over the weekend to pick up couple of CL buys that I had made few weeks back, 1990 DiamondBack Apex & 1990 or 91 Specialized RockHopper Sport. The DB Apex ended up being a 16.5" C-C with 21.7 in top tube, which will be perfect size for drop bar conversion.

Now I need to find an On One Midge bar or Salsa Woodchipper. In the meantime, I will need to figure out which route I will take the shifter and brake for the drop bar... bar ends or brifters.

Here's the photo of the 1990 DiamondBack Apex (before cleanup and any modification). I will update photo once it has gone through its transformation.

Attached Images
Resize-IMG_7149.jpg (99.8 KB, 765 views)

Last edited by BigSung; 02-15-16 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 05:39 AM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Posted on the Moulton page yesterday, love this!
Attached Images
Moulton 8 speed finished.jpg (100.4 KB, 368 views)
moulton 8 finished view 2.jpg (100.0 KB, 375 views)
Likes For dezzie:
Old 02-16-16, 09:49 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dezzie
Posted on the Moulton page yesterday, love this!
Not exactly a vintage MTB conversion, but I love it anyway! I used to have a Moulton F-type Deluxe 4-speed, it was a great city bike and surprisingly not a bad light tourer (I know Moultons are great for touring b/c carrying the load low, but just 4 speeds was a limitation). I was occasionally tempted to give mine the racer treatment like that one, but never did...
Old 02-16-16, 10:58 AM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Here's my too larger 86 850 with drops and stem mounted shifters.

It's a 22" with a stand over of 33" on 26x1.75. I'm awaiting on my new 18" MC 4500 to arrive, and then swap the items over.
Old 02-16-16, 12:25 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Chain and chainrings are new, the cassette is not. However, I examined the cassette pretty closely after I cleaned it, and it looked okay. I think I have a new spare that I was reserving for another bike. I'll put it on today and go for another ride and see what happens.

The hanger is visually straight, and no reason to think it ever got bent. I've had the bike since it was new.

I think the rear indexing is fine, no tell-tale chain rattling of a misaligned derailleur.

And yes, it only happened in higher gears when I was really hammering on it. Nothing in the lower gears.
what model of shifter do you have?
Old 02-16-16, 01:08 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Originally Posted by cyclotoine
what model of shifter do you have?
Ultegra 3x7 barends, friction for the front derailleur, indexed for the rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.